      From: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com [mailto:sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: 19 August 2014 21:35
      To: sdr-radio-com@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [sdr-radio-com] Newbie Question: Peaks With No Conversations ?

      Hello,Newbie question, please:

      If I see a well defined, and relatively large, peak in the spectrum display(s), but never hear any
      actual conversation when tuned to that peak, what is the meaning of the peak, probably ?

      Very prevalent situation for me on NFM and also AM.
      Lots of examples of this on my displays; peaks with no conversation.

      Are they just (always) transmitting a carrier (NFM & AM ?), even though they are not using it
      for any msg. at the moment ?
      If so, why waste all the power, and not transmit when they actually have something to say ?

      If anyone could explain this a bit, would be appreciative.

      Thanks,
      B.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic