17608Re: [sdr-radio-com] Please help with remote connection

  • Mark J Culross
    Oct 17, 2013
      Dimitri (RA3CO):

      Sounds like you've already succeeded with the first part of your setup:

      Step 1) setup your router/firewall to allow traffic through port 7999

      Now you need a couple more more steps:

      Step 2) setup your router/firewall to assign a fixed IP address to your server computer that is running the SDR-radio server (usually by associating a specific address to the MAC address in your server computer . . . this way, your server computer is always on the same IP address)

      Step 3) setup your router/firewall to route all traffic on port 7999 to your server comuter (usually called "port forwarding" or "dedicated server" or something similar, this way, when traffic comes into your router/firewall, it will automatically be directed to your server computer . . . & this is also why you need your server computer to have a fixed IP address so you can put this same fixed IP address in the forwarding rule)

      Step 4) find out the IP address that your internet service provider has "assigned" to your router/firewall

      Step 5) from outside your home network, you will point your client computer to connect to the outside world IP address of your router/firewall on port 7999

      Now, lets put some real numbers against these 5 steps:

      Step 1) should be self-explanatory (& besides that, you've already done this step !!)

      Step 2) lets say that the MAC address of your server computer is 00:11:22:33:44:55 (just so we have a number to use) & the internal (inside the house) IP address of your router/firewall is 192.168.0.1 (just so we have a number to use) & that it is DHCP'ing addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.15 . . . setup your router/firewall to permanently associate IP address 192.168.0.2 (just so we have a number to use) with MAC address 00:11:22:33:44:55 . . . that way, every time that your server computer connects to your router/firewall, your server computer will be assigned the same 192.168.0.2 IP address

      Step 3) this is the step that varies the most across the many brands & varieties of router/firewall devices . . . you'll just have to wade your way through your particular model & give it your best effort

      Step 4) you can browse to something like http://www.whatismyip.com/ from your server computer to find out the specific outside world IP address that your ISP has assigned to your router/firewall . . . lets say it's 12.34.56.78 (just so we have a number to use)

      Step 5) and finally, point your SDR-radio client to 12.34.56.78:7999 . . . this will go to the outside world interface of your router, which will then use the port-forwarding rule to route it to 192.168.0.2:7999, which will then be processed by your server computer running SDR-radio server !!

      Good luck & let us know how it goes . . .

      Mark J Culross
      KD5RXT