Today! (no joke)

  • rws1st
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Our speaker for April 1st will be, Ted Dunning, from
      San Diego to discuss the future of Machine Intelligence.

      The meeting will be held at the Barnes & Noble of Mira
      Mesa, special area toward front of store.

      When: April 1st 7 - 9:30 pm
      Where: Barnes Noble, 10775 Westview Parkway, San
      Diego, CA 92126

      Parking Tip: You'll find it easiest to park in the
      other shopping center across the street from Barnes &
      Noble (because it doesn't have a movie theater!), by
      the Rubio's & Jamba or down toward the Home Depot.

      For more details see:

      Dr. Dunning has researched methods for pattern discovery in diverse
      systems over the last 20 years first in an academic setting at the
      Computing Research Laboratory at New Mexico State University and
      later in emerging companies in southern California
      including HNC Software (now Fair Isaac Company), MusicMatch Software
      and ID Analytics.

      Dr. Dunning's work has been concerned with finding common threads in
      the analysis of symbolic sequences in language, genetic sequences,
      human web-browsing behavior, musical preferences, purchasing
      behavior and financial transactions. His early work on log-
      likelihood ratio tests for multi-nomial distributions is widely
      cited in the computational linguistics literature and he has
      authored or contributed to a number of patents. Most recently, he is
      an independent consultant focussing on data-mining and e-commerce
      optimization.

      Synopsis of Machine Intelligence Talk:

      It is now possible to build intelligent machines that perform tasks
      commonly considered too difficult for any but human intelligence.
      These tasks include making aesthetic judgements about music, solving
      visual puzzles and playing 20 questions. Not only is it possible to
      do this, but it has been done and computers are performing these
      tasks every day, sometimes on a massive scale.

      There is a catch. It still isn't possible to perform these tasks
      using Artificial Intelligence. Instead, success is being achieved
      using Reflected Intelligence. AI is very hard but RI can be very
      easy. The difference is all about changing the rules.

      Ted will show examples of how these systems solve real-world
      problems and explain how they work. He will also describe how to
      build such intelligent systems. Finally, he will lead a discussion
      about what intelligent systems still can't do and what the future
      has in store for these systems.

      We also have speakers set up for the 1st Friday in May and June.

      For May we have Elaine Weidenhammer, PhD of Nanogen,
      to speak on Personalized Health.

      In June, we are extremely excited to have Science
      Fiction author, Vernor Vinge. His topic is yet to be
      announced.