No meeting this Friday...

  • lisaware@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
      Hello Futurists,

      We are cancelling our meeting this Friday - sorry for the very late notice. I kept hoping one of the speakers we'd invited would still come through, but evidently it is not to be this month. Luckily we still have...the Future!
      I'm currently reading a highly recommended book called "The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe. Subtitles "An American Prophecy" and "What the Cycles of History Tell Us About America's Next Rendezvous with Destiny". I'm only about a tenth of the way into the book & already the authors have persuaded me of the utility of their paradigm for understanding the flow of history of the last several hundred years of our local anglo-western civilization.
      Next month we'll either have a speaker from the outside, or perhaps Andrew & I will do book reviews. He says this month he's in love with a book called "The Poker Face of Wall Street". Get a jump on us & bring your own opinions by reading them some time before August 4th. See you then!
      (I'm going to go enjoy a late-night improv show on Friday...now that we're not meeting. I'll paste in the info below in case any of you might be interested in checking it out as well. Starts at 10;30 pm. I used to perform with some of these folks in an earlier incarnation of the group, so I can vouch for some of them being really good...don't know the new folks yet but rumors are they are very funny. Maybe we could meet up for coffee beforehand then walk over to the theatre...8:30 pm at City Deli or Starbucks or ? Let me know if you're interested.)

      -Lisa

      The Hinges Improv troupe is ready to create a fresh
      batch of never-before-seen sketches and wacky
      theater-on-the-spot next FRIDAY NIGHT!

      Playing in the hip hamlet of Hillcrest for the first
      time, the Hinges are eager to fool around with YOU!
      Come warm up your funny bones on the way out to the
      clubs, and digest your dinner with a healthy dessert
      of mirth.

      The HINGES

      Friday, July 7th at 10:30 PM
      6th @ Penn Theater
      Located at the Northwest Corner of 6th Avenue
      and Pennsylvania Avenue in Hillcrest
      Map and Directions: http://tinyurl.com/zuwwp
      Tickets: $10.00

      Free Parking is on the streets around Hillcrest, and
      there is cheap parking available in the bank on 6th
      Avenue, just north of the theater. Ticket office
      opens at 10:00 PM, and doors open at 10:15 PM. Light
      refreshments available for sale. BE THERE!

      http://www.hingesimprov.com

      NOTE: This is a late night show, and the actors can
      get pretty randy up there. We don't recommend this
      show for kids or prudes.

      This isn't the same old games like Who's Line. The
      Hinges style is long form skits, more like Saturday
      Night Live and the ASSSSSCAT. So, we can get pretty
      darn silly, crazy and naughty. It's unpredictable!

      We can't wait to see you!

      PSSST! You can PayPal me $10/ticket at
      annebrengle@... if you want to buy your tickets
      early! We expect this show to sell out fast! Thanks!

      Double Pssst! Please feel free to pass it on. Anyone
      with nuthin to do and $10, looking for a really good
      time in San Diego on a Friday night is welcome!
    • Timothy Badonsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hi all,

        I have been doing some fascinating research (lots of reading) on concept
        construction, mental spaces, and philosphical theories of truth. I've even
        contacted a couple newly minted PhD's in the area to get feedback and
        clarification on a couple topics.

        The no-man's-land between what is specifically known of neurobiology and
        what is theorized by cognitive scientists and philosophy-of-mind theorists
        is closing but hasn't been elminated yet. For example, the notion of
        "concept" hasn't yet been mapped conclusively to anything physical.

        For my project I have been trying to create terminology to support such a
        mapping and I think I have some usefull results to share. I have been
        reading material by the head of the UCSD cognitive science faculty
        (Fauconnier) as well as George Lakoff, V.S. Ramachandran (the phantom-limb
        problem destroys anyone who might dream of remaining an empiricist) and a
        host of philosophers.

        --Tim

      • Chuck Esterbrook
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
          Hi all,

          I think the topics that Tim refers to are absolutely fascinating. It's
          quite possible (and my hope) that in our lifetime we'll see a "bridge"
          between neurobiology and cognition. I would definitely attend a
          presentation in this area, whether this Friday or some other month.

          -Chuck