AMC

  • Deborah Conklin
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
      I don't know if this is the same AMC, Animal Medical Center on Broadway, but is in El Cajon.  I am the former Cat Program Manager for FOCAS so I am VERY familiar with AMC.  I wouldn't take my personal pet there.  I don't trust them, especially with rescue animals.  They are very expensive.  Most of the resuce groups go to them because they are one of the few emergency hospitals that will work with resuce's so they don't have a lot of choices.  They have lots of state of the art equipment, etc.

      You might try Pet Hosital of La Mesa.  Dr. Esponiza.  He works with Rescue House and Feral Cat Coalition and lots of Rescue House people take their personal cats there.

      Deborah Conklin
    • sotitacita
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2010
        Thanks Deborah,

        Actually I got my cities mixed up, it is the one in El Cajon. They seemed nice enough when I took my cats there a few years ago, but I could never get the same vet. My folks are actually in Imperial Beach, do you know of any good vets near here?

        Vania

        --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Conklin <pawsrus5@...> wrote:

        > I don't know if this is the same AMC, Animal Medical Center on Broadway, but is
        > in El Cajon.  I am the former Cat Program Manager for FOCAS so I am VERY
        > familiar with AMC.  I wouldn't take my personal pet there.  I don't trust them,
        > especially with rescue animals.  They are very expensive.  Most of the resuce
        > groups go to them because they are one of the few emergency hospitals that will
        > work with resuce's so they don't have a lot of choices.  They have lots of state
        > of the art equipment, etc.
        >
        > You might try Pet Hosital of La Mesa.  Dr. Esponiza.  He works with Rescue House
        > and Feral Cat Coalition and lots of Rescue House people take their personal cats
        > there.
        >
        > Deborah Conklin

      • NatelleB
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2010
          I actually would probably go to Pacific Vet first before someone in La mesa... Cuz it is MUCH closer and Dorothy likes them; I went to them once and liked them too. VERY good with the semiferal.

          Thanks for the recommendation. Someone told me they don't like Pet Hosp of La Mesa too, Deborah, in spite of it being the one that hosts the clinic, from someone else. Who was that? It was an FCC volunteer, who happened to bring their cats to them for a little while. She felt she was treated very badly. Which can be typical. All vets tend to be defensive if you complain about money. I didn't like the emergency vet on Jackson Drive (just up the street from Pet Hosp of La Mesa)--that was Smokey's oncologist. While she had great expertise, she was an extremely defensive vet (telling me I was beligerent when I questioned the treatment charges) and so was the front desk staff. I remember when I came in for an exam and got a recommendation that nothing can be done short of spending thousands and thousands on some special chemo, and the front desk staff would not check me out. There were 2 of them and not only did they not tell me they would be with me shortly, they just left me sitting there for at least 1/2 hour, when I did ask them politely what the holdup was, they were so defensive--they were all huffy calling for a vet tech to come up and check me out and saying they have to attend to euthanasias first. No apology, just acting as if I were a difficult person. Never mind that I don't have all day to sit around waiting for them to charge me the $50 fee to tell me there is no treatment; never mind that I have to work to pay the $50! It wasn't as if I was a difficult client. I'd only been there a few times (I managed to get them to turn the treatment over to Pet Hosp of North Park, which saved me hundreds) and I wasn't difficult or belligerent at all like the vet accused me of. I know the difference.

          Anyway, I also heard terrible things from one client about Pacific Vet too! Heard that complaint in the waiting room at Pet Hosp of North Park. It's hard to get along with people you get services from when you are paying more than you can afford and have more cats than you can afford. YOU MUST protect your wallet and how you do it is the trick...

          I know I went off on a tangent. Please forgive me. Though I think Deborah you were hinting that you'd been treated like that by AMC. that is such a terrible dilemma isn't it? When they charge you more than you can afford, make you wait in the waiting room for an hour or more, and then act defensive and huffy if you try to take care of yourself by making inquiries?

          Natelle