Well, it's settled

  • NatelleB
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      It's kitten season.

      I have a new black cat in the colony that I feed. She appeared, oh,
      about 6 weeks ago, maybe further back than that--a week or 2 perhaps.
      She is a whiner. Whines for her food but nobody lets her eat. Is wild.
      Doesn't let me approach. Small frame.

      There are no intact cats in my colony.

      So yesterday, she was whining on the wall again--I hadn't fed the cats
      the day before, as it had rained all day Saturday, remember. So I guess
      she was especially hungry. And she was closer to me this time. So I
      could see she was carrying some extra flesh in her midsection. Football
      sized.

      So yesterday I panicked, and then I had nightmares. But I am going to
      hopefully get a weekly with Feral Cat Coalition and put a trap out
      tomorrow night. My concern on letting her have the babies is that it is
      quite possible that this weekend Cal Trans will clear the land. They did
      it 3 years ago on March 3rd. This is a regular thing that they do.
      However, I am not sure if it will continue to be this regular, as there
      is a new cement guard rail which makes that land not visible from the
      freeway, so perhaps not being as much of an eyesore will keep it from
      being bothered with. Anyway, if they do it, it would mean certain death
      for at least most of the litter. Where would mamma go with them? There
      is usually only one protected place, a storm drain that is very small in
      diameter. I would expect the colony to go there, and to perch up in the
      big coral tree near the storm drain. So it would not be good at all for
      the brand new kittens.

      These mamma cats really do not think through their decisions on where to
      go to have their litters! Unless of course they are trying to do their
      own abortions. Which is not an unheard of action by some animal
      species. Or at least one animal species.

      Anyway, my secret desire is I can catch her and she will have the babies
      in the trap before I get her to the vet. But I guess the most likely
      event is that I won't trap her, or I will trap her and she will be
      skinny, and I'll have to let her go, I suppose. That one just occurred
      to me just now. Ugh. I do NOT like that idea. But I could possibly find
      the babies too. I might ask for some help on hunting for the babies.
      It's hard to hear ANYTHING due to the din of the freeway.

      I am packing a flashlight now.

      So anyway, the next most likely occurrence is that I will trap her and
      she will be fat and she will then have the babies in the trap before I
      get her to the vet.

      Last likely is that I will catch her, and get her to the vet on time,
      and at least it will be a humane death for the babies... I have no
      illusions. The kitten seasons are brutal here at the shelter.

      Ugh.

      Natelle
    • dorothysherman@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
        she has appt for kitty abortion on Thurs morning
        --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, "NatelleB" <natbe@...> wrote:

        > It's kitten season.
        >
        > I have a new black cat in the colony that I feed. She appeared, oh,
        > about 6 weeks ago, maybe further back than that--a week or 2 perhaps.
        > She is a whiner. Whines for her food but nobody lets her eat. Is wild.
        > Doesn't let me approach. Small frame.
        >
        > There are no intact cats in my colony.
        >
        > So yesterday, she was whining on the wall again--I hadn't fed the cats
        > the day before, as it had rained all day Saturday, remember. So I guess
        > she was especially hungry. And she was closer to me this time. So I
        > could see she was carrying some extra flesh in her midsection. Football
        > sized.
        >
        > So yesterday I panicked, and then I had nightmares. But I am going to
        > hopefully get a weekly with Feral Cat Coalition and put a trap out
        > tomorrow night. My concern on letting her have the babies is that it is
        > quite possible that this weekend Cal Trans will clear the land. They did
        > it 3 years ago on March 3rd. This is a regular thing that they do.
        > However, I am not sure if it will continue to be this regular, as there
        > is a new cement guard rail which makes that land not visible from the
        > freeway, so perhaps not being as much of an eyesore will keep it from
        > being bothered with. Anyway, if they do it, it would mean certain death
        > for at least most of the litter. Where would mamma go with them? There
        > is usually only one protected place, a storm drain that is very small in
        > diameter. I would expect the colony to go there, and to perch up in the
        > big coral tree near the storm drain. So it would not be good at all for
        > the brand new kittens.
        >
        > These mamma cats really do not think through their decisions on where to
        > go to have their litters! Unless of course they are trying to do their
        > own abortions. Which is not an unheard of action by some animal
        > species. Or at least one animal species.
        >
        > Anyway, my secret desire is I can catch her and she will have the babies
        > in the trap before I get her to the vet. But I guess the most likely
        > event is that I won't trap her, or I will trap her and she will be
        > skinny, and I'll have to let her go, I suppose. That one just occurred
        > to me just now. Ugh. I do NOT like that idea. But I could possibly find
        > the babies too. I might ask for some help on hunting for the babies.
        > It's hard to hear ANYTHING due to the din of the freeway.
        >
        > I am packing a flashlight now.
        >
        > So anyway, the next most likely occurrence is that I will trap her and
        > she will be fat and she will then have the babies in the trap before I
        > get her to the vet.
        >
        > Last likely is that I will catch her, and get her to the vet on time,
        > and at least it will be a humane death for the babies... I have no
        > illusions. The kitten seasons are brutal here at the shelter.
        >
        > Ugh.
        >
        > Natelle

      • NatelleB
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
            I had my 2 traps out from 1 pm to 10 pm today.  I found my big black boy in my little trap when I checked the traps at 6 pm.  Poor guy was very scared and I was scared to let him out. But I did. He shot off away from the colony. I was like, heck he's pretty much decided he's never coming back!

          Just now I went down and checked my traps and I got an in-tact male cat that was obviously roaming, as I have never seen him before. He's beat up but looks fairly young, but has a big head so he's a boy. Perhaps he was looking for the whiny pregnant lady that I was trying to trap. He put up such a fight that he felt so much heavier and I didn't think I would get him across the right-of-way [the stretch of land next to the freeway where the cats live (there's a cement guard rail there now protecting them from the freeway)] and back into my car. It was a fight! I was scared. But I knew that he would calm down if I got him in my car, and he did. He's calm now in the bathroom, and I shoved a half-a-can of Fancy Feast in his cage. He seems to actually be content. I imagine he lives at the river so he's a very wild boy.

          I gotta trap one more night and see if I can get the mamma. I hope the vet will let me do this male too.

          Good night and hope you all are doing okay with your cat problems.

          Natelle

          --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, "dorothysherman@..." <dorothysherman@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > in the trap before I get her to the vet. But I guess the most likely
          > > event is that I won't trap her, or I will trap her and she will be
          > > skinny, and I'll have to let her go, I suppose. That one just occurred
          > > to me just now. Ugh. I do NOT like that idea. But I could possibly find
          > > the babies too. I might ask for some help on hunting for the babies.
          > > It's hard to hear ANYTHING due to the din of the freeway.
          > >
          > > I am packing a flashlight now.
          > >
          > > So anyway, the next most likely occurrence is that I will trap her and
          > > she will be fat and she will then have the babies in the trap before I
          > > get her to the vet.
          > >
          > > Last likely is that I will catch her, and get her to the vet on time,
          > > and at least it will be a humane death for the babies... I have no
          > > illusions. The kitten seasons are brutal here at the shelter.

        • NatelleB
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
            Today at 7:30 pm I got the already-fixed black mamma, and at 10:30 pm I
            got the already-fixed orange cat.

            I am leaving my traps set overnight and checking super early so I have
            time to look for kittens if she is skinny when I catch her. I am a
            little worried about the traps. I have had some probs before.

            Natelle