Re: SMOKEY AND DUSTY

  • NatelleB
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Thanks Deborah.

      Yeah, that is actually what I am doing, BION. I am doing all of that. I didn't drag out the fancy feast though. I had some I bought cheap from Costco was saving for ferals in traps. & I didn't do pure turkey, but coincidentally night before last I did ground turkey, browned, wiht Dr. Harvey's Feline premix recipe mixed in, but she didn't like that. I threw in some soy sauce cuz she liked soy sauce before. But I could just brown some more of the turkey and give her that by itself.

      I had pulled out the Gerber's Baby #2 veal that I had and I have anther jar of the chicken #2 as well. She ate the veal off my fingers finally.

      Update: The oncologist saw the gagging, Smokey did it a long time for her, and said it must be her throat. So now I am upset that I have to pay for more x-rays and Smokey has to do another vet visit cuz no one listened to me about the gagging (she didn't display it for the other vets and she was there for some time) ... So anyway... I might not post more updates since this is really off topic... Smokey is not a feral... Thanks all for listening. I need it.

      --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Conklin <pawsrus5@...> wrote:

      > When my cat was terminal and not eating I got some turkey burgers and gave him that.  He at it a couple of times.  Also Fancy Feast gets some cats to eat.  Baby food, stage 2 meat.  My experience is you have to keep getting new things to tempt them and know that they may or may not eat it and even if they do one time they probably won't the next time.  One time with my cat I had 8 different foods in front of him and he didn't eat any of them.
      >
      > If they are that ill and no treatment will help maybe it is time to ease their pain and have them euthanized.  It is the final kindness we can provide our pets.
      >
      > Deborah

    • sotitacita
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2010
        Hi Natelle,

        I hope you and your cats are well. I'm catching up on the posts now and saw this one. I think you should keep posting Natelle. We probably all have our personal cats as well as feral cats we care for and this is meant to be a support group for us. Besides, if you stop now, you're leaving us all in suspense!

        When Momma quit eating or drinking last summer (she was on sub-q fluids so she didn't get too dehydrated), the vet gave me some high calorie goop in a blue tube. I think it was called nutri-cal or something like that. I force fed her a little each day for a few days but she wasn't getting better and I put her down. I actually felt really good when she died though because the food gave her about an extra week with me and I was able to pet her a lot and love her during that final week. When I took her to the vet to be euthanized, I knew it was the right choice and I was surprised to feel a sense of relief afterwards. I think the relief was because I had spent so much time with her just prior to her death, and now I knew she wouldn't be suffering anymore.

        I hope those x-rays on Smokey don't cost too much. I hate to pay extra 'cause the person is incompetent.

        That's just my two cents worth,

        Vania
        --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, "NatelleB" <natbe@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Deborah.
        >
        > Yeah, that is actually what I am doing, BION. I am doing all of that. I didn't drag out the fancy feast though. I had some I bought cheap from Costco was saving for ferals in traps. & I didn't do pure turkey, but coincidentally night before last I did ground turkey, browned, wiht Dr. Harvey's Feline premix recipe mixed in, but she didn't like that. I threw in some soy sauce cuz she liked soy sauce before. But I could just brown some more of the turkey and give her that by itself.
        >
        > I had pulled out the Gerber's Baby #2 veal that I had and I have anther jar of the chicken #2 as well. She ate the veal off my fingers finally.
        >
        > Update: The oncologist saw the gagging, Smokey did it a long time for her, and said it must be her throat. So now I am upset that I have to pay for more x-rays and Smokey has to do another vet visit cuz no one listened to me about the gagging (she didn't display it for the other vets and she was there for some time) ... So anyway... I might not post more updates since this is really off topic... Smokey is not a feral... Thanks all for listening. I need it.
        >
        > --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Conklin <pawsrus5@> wrote:
        > >
        > > When my cat was terminal and not eating I got some turkey burgers and gave him that.  He at it a couple of times.  Also Fancy Feast gets some cats to eat.  Baby food, stage 2 meat.  My experience is you have to keep getting new things to tempt them and know that they may or may not eat it and even if they do one time they probably won't the next time.  One time with my cat I had 8 different foods in front of him and he didn't eat any of them.
        > >
        > > If they are that ill and no treatment will help maybe it is time to ease their pain and have them euthanized.  It is the final kindness we can provide our pets.
        > >
        > > Deborah

      • NatelleB
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 8, 2010
          Hello,

          Eileen needs help while she goes through hell --just temporarily and she's paying...:

          Eileen (here on our group) needs help feeding her colonies in Ski Beach if anyone can help. I offered to do weekends but I do not even have time for her to show me the route.  Weekends is really not enough, either. If anyone can do a couple of days a week while Eileen is in surgery for her 3 stops all within a few blocks of each other at Mission Bay, that would be great and would suppplement the 2 days a week I'll try my best to do--please e-mail eileen at eileen.kent@...

          Thanks...

          Hello Vania:

          Yes I was thinking that - that I was leaving everyone in suspense!  So here's my update... I'm editing it down a little. I'm still going on and on abou tthe details.

          Smokey''s doing better right now--eats some regular food and drinkging for about 4 days now. She's calm but still you can tell she doesn't feel good--hangin the head when she sits up. She's still swallowing air, thus, still nauseous--I'm giving her REglan twice a day--not too much--I'm careful with the dose.

          I have some time with her but don't know how much. The vet said she'd have to "aspirate" the mass to know for sure it's the lymphoma and what type, and I'm out of credit and not going to do that. I spent $800 on Smokey and $200 on Dusty and am out of money. Dusty needs her ultrasound too but I am not doing that.

          Dusty is doing better but also not 100%. She seems also miserable like she might not have all that long. A little more spry than Smokey is though. She is not eating as much as normal. Dusty has been a picky eater though all along. But she is doing better. All she got for treatment was antibiotic, and it cleared up the URI she had that scared me (thanks to Mark and Sue--free antibiotic). But doc had felt a hard kidney and was really hot on ultrasounding her and I just don't want to spend #300 for what treatment? I doubt if anythign but fluids and special diet. She's already on thyroid. I can't afford surgery to cut out tumors.

          I know that stuff is Nutri-Cal. I used Gerber #2 baby food, Fancy Feast, the Hill's stuff they sold me at the vet, pork chops, ground beef, tuna, herring...  That kept her going. And was giving her fluids while she wasn't drinking.

          Meanwhile trying to meet demands at work - I have to pass the exam for my work.

          Thanks,
          Natelle

          --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, "sotitacita" <sotitacita@...> wrote:

          > Hi Natelle,
          >
          > I hope you and your cats are well. I'm catching up on the posts now and saw this one. I think you should keep posting Natelle. We probably all have our personal cats as well as feral cats we care for and this is meant to be a support group for us. Besides, if you stop now, you're leaving us all in suspense!
          >
          > When Momma quit eating or drinking last summer (she was on sub-q fluids so she didn't get too dehydrated), the vet gave me some high calorie goop in a blue tube. I think it was called nutri-cal or something like that. I force fed her a little each day for a few days but she wasn't getting better and I put her down. I actually felt really good when she died though because the food gave her about an extra week with me and I was able to pet her a lot and love her during that final week. When I took her to the vet to be euthanized, I knew it was the right choice and I was surprised to feel a sense of relief afterwards. I think the relief was because I had spent so much time with her just prior to her death, and now I knew she wouldn't be suffering anymore.
          >
          > I hope those x-rays on Smokey don't cost too much. I hate to pay extra 'cause the person is incompetent.
          >
          > That's just my two cents worth,
          >
          > Vania

        • eileen kent
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 8, 2010
            Thanks Nat. Believe it or not,my surgeon still cannot get my insurance companies approval to proceed so I am waiting in "insurance hell" for now. I will definitely communicate with all who reply though as, eventually ,I will need help! Thanks again
            Sincerely
            Eileen
            Eileen needs help while she goes through hell --just temporarily and she's paying...:

            Eileen (here on our group) needs help feeding her colonies in Ski Beach if anyone can help. I offered to do weekends but I do not even have time for her to show me the route.  Weekends is really not enough, either. If anyone can do a couple of days a week while Eileen is in surgery for her 3 stops all within a few blocks of each other at Mission Bay, that would be great and would suppplement the 2 days a week I'll try my best to do--please e-mail eileen at eileen.kent@ sbcglobal. net

> [...]

            > I hope those x-rays on Smokey don't cost too much. I hate to pay extra 'cause the person is incompetent.

          • NatelleB
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 9, 2010
              Well I can come see your route next Saturday or perhaps tomorrow Sunday
              with limitations. I hope that's not too late. I got behind in my work
              hours and this is the end of the pay period so today is not good.
              Tomorrow Might be good but we'd have to time it perfectly. I have to get
              cats to the clinic. Perhaps we could do it if I cold call you when I am
              done at the clinic and then we could meet then. I have your phone
              number still as the last-4-digits 3202 number.

              --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, eileen kent <eileen.kent@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Nat. Believe it or not,my surgeon still cannot get my insurance
              companies approval to proceed so I am waiting in "insurance hell" for
              now. I will definitely communicate with all who reply though as,
              eventually ,I will need help! Thanks again
              > Sincerely
              > Eileen

              Eileen temporarily -- feeding
              > To: sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Saturday, January 9, 2010, 12:14 AM

              > Hello,
              >
              > Eileen needs help while she goes through hell --just temporarily and
              she's paying...:

              > Eileen (here on our group) needs help feeding her colonies in Ski
              Beach if anyone can help. I offered to do weekends but I do not even
              have time for her to show me the route. Weekends is really not
              enough, either. If anyone can do a couple of days a week while Eileen is
              in surgery for her 3 stops all within a few blocks of each other at
              Mission Bay, that would be great and would suppplement the 2 days a week
              I'll try my best to do--please e-mail eileen at eileen.kent@ sbcglobal.
              net.Â

> [...]
              leaving us all in suspense!

              > > When Momma quit eating or drinking last summer (she was on sub-q
              fluids so she didn't get too dehydrated), the vet gave me some high
              calorie goop in a blue tube. I think it was called nutri-cal or
              something like that. I force fed her a little each day for a few days
              but she wasn't getting better and I put her down. I actually felt really
              good when she died though because the food gave her about an extra week
              with me and I was able to pet her a lot and love her during that final
              week. When I took her to the vet to be euthanized, I knew it was the
              right choice and I was surprised to feel a sense of relief afterwards. I
              think the relief was because I had spent so much time with her just
              prior to her death, and now I knew she wouldn't be suffering anymore.

              > > I hope those x-rays on Smokey don't cost too much. I hate to pay

            • NatelleB
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 10, 2010
                Eileen showed me her route. It sounds like important surgery for her.
                If anyone can help out just feeding one day a week that would be
                enormous. I imagine it would only be a few weeks, maybe a month at
                most--right Eileen? She doesn't want to put anyone out. She's very
                nice. She's not going to put anyone in a spot "holding the bag" on
                anything. She is offering to pay. Me, I just want her help some time to
                feed my colony which is about 2 miles away, if ever I need surgery.

                No pressure ON ANYONE.

                Eileen, I am wondering if you can get the office people to feed at
                Marina Village? Since you are worried you will need someone to take over
                should you become incapacitated.... Starting them off giving you relief
                while in surgery might make that workable. They are the ones least put
                out by such a task.

                The route is Dana Landing/Marina Village/Ski Beach. Seh said there is no
                traffic weekday mornings early. The cats at Ski Beach are very charming
                and fat, one is extremely portly. But they look so cute looking out on
                the water and are semi tame. The super portly one is tame.

                good night.

                Nat the brat

                > --- In sdferalcats@yahoogroups.com, eileen kent eileen.kent@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Nat. Believe it or not,my surgeon still cannot get my
                insurance
                > companies approval to proceed so I am waiting in "insurance hell" for
                > now. I will definitely communicate with all who reply though as,
                > eventually ,I will need help! Thanks again
                > > Sincerely
                > > Eileen
                > > --- On Sat, 1/9/10, NatelleB natbe@ wrote:

                > > Eileen needs help while she goes through hell --just temporarily and
                > she's paying...:
                > >
                > > Eileen (here on our group) needs help feeding her colonies in Ski
                > Beach if anyone can help. I offered to do weekends but I do not even
                > have time for her to show me the route. Weekends is really not
                > enough, either. If anyone can do a couple of days a week while Eileen
                is
                > in surgery for her 3 stops all within a few blocks of each other at
                > Mission Bay, that would be great and would suppplement the 2 days a
                week
                > I'll try my best to do--please e-mail eileen at eileen.kent@
                sbcglobal.
                > net.Â
              • NatelleB
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 10, 2010
                  Just to clarify: I'll be covering for weekends for her, and she is still looking to fill days during the week while she goes through surgery--it's coming up soon as she mentioned she is waiting for approval from insurance--and I am guessing it'll be 3 weeks to a month. Just to follow doctor's orders, she told me.

                  Natelle
                • Cathy McGuire
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010
                    Question to Natelle or Eileen --- What does the "super portly one" that is tame at Ski Beach look like?  Coloring etc?

                    Thanks,
                    Cathy

                    Eileen showed me her route. It sounds like important surgery for her.
                    If anyone can help out just feeding one day a week that would be
                    enormous. I imagine it would only be a few weeks, maybe a month at
                    most--right Eileen? She doesn't want to put anyone out. She's very
                    nice. She's not going to put anyone in a spot "holding the bag" on
                    anything. She is offering to pay. Me, I just want her help some time to
                    feed my colony which is about 2 miles away, if ever I need surgery.

                    No pressure ON ANYONE.

                    Eileen, I am wondering if you can get the office people to feed at
                    Marina Village? Since you are worried you will need someone to take over
                    should you become incapacitated. ... Starting them off giving you relief
                    while in surgery might make that workable. They are the ones least put
                    out by such a task.

                    The route is Dana Landing/Marina Village/Ski Beach. Seh said there is no
                    traffic weekday mornings early. The cats at Ski Beach are very charming
                    and fat, one is extremely portly. But they look so cute looking out on
                    the water and are semi tame. The super portly one is tame.

                    good night.

                    Nat the brat

                    > --- In sdferalcats@ yahoogroups. com, eileen kent eileen.kent@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Nat. Believe it or not,my surgeon still cannot get my
                    insurance
                    > companies approval to proceed so I am waiting in "insurance hell" for
                    > now. I will definitely communicate with all who reply though as,
                    > eventually ,I will need help! Thanks again
                    > > Sincerely
                    > > Eileen
                    > > --- On Sat, 1/9/10, NatelleB natbe@ wrote:

                    > > Eileen needs help while she goes through hell --just temporarily and
                    > she's paying...:
                    > >
                    > > Eileen (here on our group) needs help feeding her colonies in Ski
                    > Beach if anyone can help. I offered to do weekends but I do not even
                    > have time for her to show me the route. Weekends is really not
                    > enough, either. If anyone can do a couple of days a week while Eileen
                    is
                    > in surgery for her 3 stops all within a few blocks of each other at
                    > Mission Bay, that would be great and would suppplement the 2 days a
                    week
                    > I'll try my best to do--please e-mail eileen at eileen.kent@
                    sbcglobal.
                    > net.Â

                  • NatelleB
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010
                      He's a soft gray color... I don't remember eye-color... Him and the his brother are both tame, I believe, and both are gray. Both are handsome but need diets. The fattest one is the tamest, according to Eileen. Both wanted me to pet them once I knelt down.