Re: 9 Pin Questions?

  • Doug Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8 12:20 PM
      At 01:06 PM 08-01-98 PST, Todd Lavender wrote:

      >Can anyone explain the usage of "Swing the 9 Pin?" Maybe a short
      >explanation and some of the common usage for the call might be
      >appropriate.

      My only recollection of "Nine Pin" is from the square dancing and calling
      I did when I was a teenager ( a few decades ago ).

      Music: Little Brown Jug
      Square: An extra dancer in the middle of the set
      A Thrid Change

      Figure

      All join hands, go forward and back
      Up once more in the same old track.
      Head two couples sashay around the nine pin,
      Sashay back.
      Side two couples sashay around the nine pin,
      Sashay back.
      Head two couples circle around the nine pin
      Side two couples circle around the nine pin

      First gent up and swing the nine pin
      The second gent now has his chance
      The third old gent will make her dance
      The fourth old gent will show her how

      Now five to the centre ( all girls ) and huddle down
      Now circle to the left, go 'round and 'round.

      Now circle to the right ... ( caller pauses )
      AND SWING!

      Explanation: The above assumes the nine pin is a lady. For a gent,
      reverse the cues.

      Sashay: Couples join both hands, and slide across the set passing
      to the right of the nine pin. Reverse direction and come
      back to home on the other side.

      At the ending of the sequence, the caller pauses for varying lengths
      of time during each sequence, keeping the five guessing when they
      can break, and attempt to swing the nearest man. The one who is
      unsuccessful, remains in the middle, and becomes the nine pin for
      the next sequence. (With all that swinging in the middle, most
      ladies made a serious attempt to swing a man when the chance
      became available!)

      Hope this helps to answer your question.

      Doug (Ontario, Canada)
    • DaveHash
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8 1:18 PM
        In a message dated 98-01-08 13:42:39 EST, LAVENDET@... writes:

        << Can anyone explain the usage of "Swing the 9 Pin?" Maybe a short
        explanation and some of the common usage for the call might be
        appropriate. >>

        Todd,

        The nine pin is a square dance with 4 couples and one extra woman in the
        center of the square.

        Usually goes something like this:

        Head Couples Cirle around the 9 pin (the extra girl)
        Sides Circle around the 9 pin
        #1 man, swing the 9 pin, #2 man swing the 9 pinm etc...
        The have all the ladies (5) cirlcle in the middle and they keep circling until
        you say, Swing the 9 pin. Who ever is left becomes the 9 pin.

        It is almost like musical chairs except no one is eliminated, they just move
        to the center of the square.

        As a gimick, I usually say all the ladies into the middle and circle, circle,
        circle, etc and then pick the time when I say swing instead of circle.

        Hope that helps....

        Dave
      • Dick Gaskill
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8 2:06 PM
          Dave, a couple of minor additions to your explanation.
          The 9-pin can be a guy or a gal.
          Kids like this one a lot.

          Dick Gaskill
          San Jose, CA

        • Lysle Shields
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8 3:44 PM
            Doug don't feel bad what you have described is what I too remember doing
            in my youth.