RE: [sd-birds] All day Whooping Crane hunt - Beadle Co.

  • Jon Little
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2012
      When I first noticed these postings about a single (or more) Whooping
      Cranes, I couldn't help but wonder whether one of the birds seen was one
      that my wife and I had searched for in Nebraska the week before.

      We had birded and seen thousands of Sandhill Cranes between Grand Island &
      Kearney. When we stopped by the Crane Trust (Nebraska Nature & Visitor
      Center), we were told about a single Whooper that was imprinted on Sandhills
      (or raised by, I assume?). They told us that when Whoopers stop by, they
      generally move on the next day or so; but the Sandhills stick around for a
      month or more (along with imprinted Whoopers, who stay with their
      "parents"). As a real, live Whooping Crane would be a "Real" lifer for both
      of us (the 2 in Florida don't really count), we were hot on the trail.

      For the next 2 days, we drove, scanned, worked, & birded every single road
      within the area where that bird had been seen earlier (130 Sq miles +) =
      NADA! But, after all that effort, and all that $4 gas, we had to move on. I
      can only surmise that the bird seen in SD might be the same bird we chased
      in NE (Beadle Co is almost directly North of where we were in NE), but I
      certainly admire and share the same sense of discovery of those who found
      it. As I only need 3 more to get to 300 for my SD list, "We'll be back!"

      Jon & BJ Little

      Winchester, VA