Saturday field trip

  • mick
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2006
      Members of the SFBC went on a field trip from Sioux Falls south to Newton Hills State Park. 73 species were seen. Bird of the day was a beautiful Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at Newton Hills. More interesting sightings in bold.
      Species seen: Pied-billed Grebe, American Bittern, Black-crowned Night Heron, Canada Goose, Mallard, BW Teal, N. Shoveler, Gadwall, Canvasback, Ruddy Duck, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle (just getting his white coloring), Cooper's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, RN Pheasant, A. Coot, Killdeer, G. Yellowlegs, L. Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope, Black Tern, Rock Pigeon, M. Dove, Belted Kingfisher (nesting), Red-Headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, N. flicker, E. Phoebe, Purple Martin, Tree Swallow, N. Rough-winged Swallow, Barn Swallow, Blue Jay, A. Crow, BC Chickadee, WB Nuthatch, House Wren, Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, E. Bluebird, A. Robin, G. Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, E. Starling, Tennessee Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Black-and White Warbler, N. Cardinal, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Towhee, A. Tree-Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, RW Blackbird, W. Meadowlark, Yellow-Headed Blackbird, C. Grackle, Great-tailed Grackle, BH Cowbird, Baltimore Oriole, House Finch, A. Goldfinch, House Sparrow.

      For some photos and a map showing the birding route, go to www.leifericson.org/sfbc

      Mick SFBC

    • mick
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13, 2007
        A reminder that the SFBC has a scheduled field trip this Saturday (14th) . Meet at the Outdoor Campus by 7:00. President Doug has been busy scouting locations for us to visit, and the morning should be pleasant to walk and drive. All birders are welcome. Bring a friend.

        Mick
        SFBC
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
          Greetings! The scheduled field trip for the SFBC started with apprehension about the weather. We decided to go down to Hurley SD, and start looking for migrants. Four carloads for Birders fresh from Cabin Fever headed out.
          What a fantastic day!! We totaled a whooping 58 species, met two real neat new members, and the weather turned out great
          .
          Species highlights:
          A Great Tailed Grackle just north of Hurley
          E. Bluebirds at Marindahl Lake
          40 Bald Eagles
          30+ Red-tailed Hawks
          A Loggerhead Shrike
          A Greater Scaup at the Fish Hatchery ponds in Yankton
          Rusty Blackbirds
          Yellowheaded Blackbird
          The sky filled with Snows, Blues and Ross' geese.
          See the trip at http://www.leifericson.org/sfbc/

          Thanks to everyone for a great day, especially the patient drivers.

          Mick
          SFBC

        • brdfsd@sio.midco.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
            Thanks, Mick and Linda for what turned out, despite my rather deep
            skepticism about the chances of seeing a bird in the still frozen
            landscape, to be a fine day with the sky filled with geese and ducks
            heading north. What an amazing sight and sound. I will never take it
            for granted.
            Rosemary Draeger
            Sioux Falls

            On Mar 16, 2008, at 12:32 AM, mick wrote:

            > Greetings! The scheduled field trip for the SFBC started with
            > apprehension about the weather. We decided to go down to Hurley SD,
            > and start looking for migrants. Four carloads for Birders fresh from
            > Cabin Fever headed out.
            > What a fantastic day!! We totaled a whooping 58 species, met two real
            > neat new members, and the weather turned out great
            > .
            > Species highlights:
            > A Great Tailed Grackle just north of Hurley
            > E. Bluebirds at Marindahl Lake
            > 40 Bald Eagles
            > 30+ Red-tailed Hawks
            > A Loggerhead Shrike
            > A Greater Scaup at the Fish Hatchery ponds in Yankton
            > Rusty Blackbirds
            > Yellowheaded Blackbird
            > The sky filled with Snows, Blues and Ross' geese.
            > See the trip at http://www.leifericson.org/sfbc/
            >
            > Thanks to everyone for a great day, especially the patient drivers.
            >
            > Mick
            > SFBC

          • Mick Zerr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
              Thanks to Pat and Nancy Dunn for inviting us to their fine Bird Observatory (and for the great cookies), with over 30 species, it made a cold day warm.
              See photo journal at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/siouxfalls/sets/72157625831728596/show/

              Mick
              SFBC

            • mick zerr
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20 9:51 PM
                As you can see, today's SFBC field trip to wetlands northwest of Sioux Falls for waterfowl was a great success. Pres Bob gave us a full species list,(at least 67) and Doug, his usual analysis and color. So here is the trip photo log. Many of you have not witnessed, close up, the double crests of the Double-crested Cormorant. This bird that is often ignored or not studied well by field trip folks has shown us today that it has beauty and even grace. Most of us did not know that the eye of the bird is akin to a gemstone, and its crests rival those of any area bird. See them in the slide/video show of the trip.

                flicker show at: http://www.flickr.com//photos/siouxfalls/sets/72157633292749660/show/

                Also on the SFBC website:   http://www.siouxfallsbirdclub.org/field-trip-results.html%c2%a0plus full species list.

                Mick  Zerr

              • mick zerr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2013
                  Looks like  the bad weather is waiting till Saturday afternoon. That will give us the morning to do the Freeman Preserve, near Brandon.   This is a make-up for the combined SFBC/Dakota Birders trip that had to be cancelled due to the iced trees.  All birders are welcome. Meet Saturday morning at 7:00 at the Sioux Falls Outdoor Campus and we will caravan to the Freeman's, which will take only 20 minutes.
                   Freeman map:   http://flic.kr/p/eF4sxh

                  Mick