Sharp-tailed Sandpiper

  • dan&erika
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      I may have seen a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper this morning. It was near Pectoral
      Sandpipers, was slightly smaller, and had fine breast streaking against a
      bright ochre breast color. Its bill was bicolored, dark and yellowish. The
      breast streaking ended indiscinctly, unlike the sharp line on the Pectoral.
      I was with my Ornithology class, but none of them had a chance to see it
      before a pickup truck sped by and spooked the shorebirds. This was on State
      Street, a mile north of where it turns to gravel. Local birders will know
      the ponds to which I am referring. There is actually very little water left
      in them, so if the bird is around, it should be easily found. Erika and I
      went back out there over lunch, but located niether the Sharp-tailed nor the
      Pectorals. I urge local birders to try to get a photograph. I did not have
      my camera with me, something which will not happen again during a class
      field trip.
      State records probably should not be based on single observer sight
      records, but keep your eyes open.
      dan

      --
      Dan or Erika Tallman
      danerika@...

      ".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
      "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau

    • foodrev@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006
        There was a juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Leland Lake--248th St. and the
        Minnehaha/McCook Co. line--this morning.

        I watched it (scope views) with a group of 25-30 Pectorals for about 15-20
        minutes. A first year Bald Eagle came over the ridge from the south and all
        shorebirds flew north out of view. I waited 45 minutes and none returned, but
        perhaps later. There were several hundred mixed shorebirds.

        Doug Chapman
        Sioux Falls, SD

      • Ricky D Olson
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
          I saw a ST Sandpiper at Twin Dams west of emergency spillway on Hwy 1806 today. It was a juvenille with rufous cap, orange/yellow breast and what was surprising was how rufous and patterened the back was. A Pectoral came near it and both flew away.

          Sharing is half the fun of birding.
          Ricky D. Olson
          Fort Pierre SD
          tatanka40@...