Recommended Reading

  • vidyagama
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
      Here are some books that are complimentary to the Structural Deep
      Democracy vision:

      -"Out of Control" by Kevin Kelly

      >Explains how relatively simple and stupid agents can self-organize
      into an intelligent complex-adaptive system.

      -"The Evolution of Civilizations" by Carroll Quigley

      >Classic from 1964. Clinton's favorite Georgetown professor theorizes
      how institutions, though originally formed for a higher purpose,
      ossify and become instruments for their own betterment. SD2 is
      designed to combat institutional ossification.

      -"Doing Democracy" by Bill Moyer(not Bill Moyers) with co-authors
      JoAnn McAllister, Mary Lou Finley(I know her personally) and Steven
      Soifer

      Editorial Description:
      "About the Author: Bill Moyer is the Executive Director of the San
      Francisco-based Social Movement Empowerment Project. He has been an
      organizer of environrmental and social movements for 35 years.
      Product Description:
      This activist tool offers a theoretial model for ensuring that social
      movements are successful in the long term. Beginning with an overview
      of social movement theory and the MAP (Movement Action Plan) model,
      Doing Democracy outlines the eight stages of social movements, the
      four roles of activists, and case studies from the civil rights, anti-
      nuclear energy, Central America, gay/lesbian, women's health and
      globalization movements."

      Strong Points: Excellent descriptive models.

      Weak Points: Little focus on leadership. Also made false dichotomies
      like: Weak vs.Strong and Powerholders vs. People and Activists. I
      have challenged Dr.Finley on these issues without adequate response.

      If any of you all can think of other books, please let me know.

      -Shanti
      -Mark, Seattle WA USA
    • stevphen shukaitis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
        I would also suggest, off the top of my head:

        Pierre Clastres. Society Against the State: The Leader as Servant and the
        Humane Uses of Power Among the Indians of the Americas
        -looks at the relations and forms of political power found in south
        American indigenous tribes, particularly the Guyarki - argues that
        they possessed no forms of hierarchal leadership

        David Graeber. Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology
        -also looks at forms of nonhierarchal political organization drawing
        from anthropological records and his fieldwork in Madagacar to argue
        that they could provide examples of alternative politcal forms

        Saul Alinky. Rules for Radicals
        -classic text or activist strategies - argues that process and
        organization in movements are just as important as the ends being
        pursued

        cheers
        stevphen

        ps - i've also heard some very good things about a book by Alexder
        Galloway called Protocol: How Control Exists After Decentralization, but I
        haven't read the book myself

        > Here are some books that are complimentary to the Structural Deep
        > Democracy vision:
        >
        > -"Out of Control" by Kevin Kelly
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > to:sd-2-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • vidyagama
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2005
          --- In sd-2@yahoogroups.com, "stevphen shukaitis" wrote:
          >SS: I would also suggest, off the top of my head: Pierre Clastres.
          Society Against the State: The Leader as Servant and the Humane Uses
          of Power Among the Indians of the Americas-looks at the relations and
          forms of political power found in south American indigenous tribes,
          particularly the Guyarki - argues that they possessed no forms of
          hierarchal leadership > David Graeber. Fragments of an Anarchist
          Anthropology-also looks at forms of nonhierarchal political
          organization drawing from anthropological records and his fieldwork
          in Madagacar to argue that they could provide examples of alternative
          politcal forms

          -M: Neither of these sound compatable with SD2, since SD2 is
          hierarchal - is just a fluid hierarchy. I hope that people aren't
          placing non-hierarchy in a hierarchy above hierarchy - wouldn't this
          be a contradiction?

          >SS: Saul Alinky. Rules for Radicals -classic text or activist
          strategies - argues that process and organization in movements are
          just as important as the ends being pursued. cheers stevphen

          -M: This is probably either true, or close to being true. I will keep
          my eye out for this one.

          >SS: ps - i've also heard some very good things about a book by
          Alexder Galloway called Protocol: How Control Exists After
          Decentralization, but I haven't read the book myself

          -M: Complete decentralization? SD2 is centralized, with adaptive
          amounts of decentralization and distributedness - this depends on
          people's voting patterns. In a large network, if people vote for
          mainly those that they know, the network will be mainly distributed.
          If people vote mostly mid-hierarchy, the network will be
          decentralized. If people vote mostly for those on the top, the
          network will be mostly centralized.

          SD2 is scaleable to a global level. I envision a future where there
          will be a world government, and it will be a confederacy of sovereign
          nations. Each nation would only cede as much power to the confederacy
          as it is comfortable with. An SD2 global confederacy would have five
          legislatures, pentad central committee, presiding over a body of
          national representitives. They will have impartiality to the various
          nations, or they will be replaced during the next weekly
          recalculation cycle.

          -M: Thanks Stevphen.

          -Shanti
          -Mark, Seattle WA USA