Meade reorganization update

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
      Per <http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/10819876.html>:

      "... This week more details of Meade's plans became available. In an
      " e-mail response to questions posed by Sky & Telescope, Muellner
      " said that all high-end manufacturing will be moving to the company's
      " international partners.
      "
      " During this transition the production of some telescopes will be
      " temporarily suspended, and a few other models will be discontinued.
      " Meade said it anticipates no interruption of its popular 8-, 10-,
      " and 12-inch LX200R telescopes as well as its 8-inch LX90GPS
      " Schmidt-Cassegrain reflectors. The 10- and 12-inch LX90GPS models
      " will remain in production to fill existing orders and then be
      " suspended until Spring 2008. Likewise, existing orders for 14- and
      " 16-inch LX200R telescopes will be filled, and then production will
      " be halted until the second half of 2008 — except for the
      " fork-mounted 14-inch, which will be suspended indefinitely. The
      " company's heavy-duty MAX Mount, and all sizes of its fork-mounted
      " RCX400 telescopes, will also be suspended indefinitely. The only
      " instruments to be discontinued outright are the Calcium-K
      " (ultraviolet) models in the company's Coronado line of solar
      " telescopes and filters.
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
        Thanks, Thad...but I don't see the "more details." This really doesn't say
        anything more than what we learned from the material Herb posted.

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
        The Urban Astronomer's Guide
        <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

[...]

        Visit the sct-user home page at:

        http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Thad Floryan
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Thad...but I don't see the "more details." This really doesn't
          > say anything more than what we learned from the material Herb posted.

          Kowabunga, Howdy Doody.

          You're right, Rod. I didn't read the entire S&T article until after
          posting it. After the opening sentence, I copy'n'pasted it and ...

          :-)

          (Though "international partners" is a new phrase (differs from "lower-
          cost location" :-))
        • SID CORMIER
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
            Is Meade in financial trouble? They spent alot of money on Lawyer suing Celestron. This money could have been used to better purposes.

            I have a LX200GPS, I have to wonder if I will be able to maintain and obtain parts for this unit if it fails in the future. Or do I have a $3000.00 door stop?

            Any insights from any of you, Dr. clay?

            Sid

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
              Meade is basically broke and in debt. What happens to them (sellout,
              regorganization, etc.) depends on what happens this holiday season (which
              for businesses is about halfway over).

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                Not true Rod
                I will post when I have a better connection

                Herb

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                    --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Herb:
                    >
                    > Thanks. By "broke," I mean that they were forced to gather capital
                    including
                    > a recent 6 mil. ;-)
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    > Rod Mollise
                    > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                    > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                    > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                    And that was a stock sale. There was also $384,000 in interest
                    payments last year. At prime that would equate to a 5 million dollar
                    dip into their line of credit.

                    Can't run a dang business on 7 point borrowed money when the gross
                    margins are barely 13% and sales expenses exceed profit.
                    Time to shoot a salesman I'd say,
                    that usually livens up the rest of them.

                    Frank D
                  • bdittus@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Isn't it interesting that the RCX and the Giant Tripod line is discontinued indefinately but.......Meade's web site still has the following links:

                      http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog

                      http://www.meade.com/maxmount/index.html#features

                      http://www.meade.com/maxmount/specifications.html

                      http://www.meade.com/maxmount/design.html

                      http://www.meade.com/maxmount/gallery.html

                      Seems to me to be a bit of FALSE ADVERTISING!

                      Bill
                      --
                      veritas vos liberabit
                      "The Truth Will Set You Free"

                    • Thad Floryan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, bdittus@... wrote:

                        > Isn't it interesting that the RCX and the Giant Tripod line is
                        > discontinued indefinately but.......Meade's web site still has the
                        > following links:
                        > [...]
                        > Seems to me to be a bit of FALSE ADVERTISING!

                        Not really -- they have a lot of "old" pages describing and/or
                        documenting obsolete and/or discontinued products in addition
                        to current products; for example:

                        <http://www.meade.com/manuals/>

                        And, FWIW, the RCX400 and MaxMount hasn't *yet* been discontinued;
                        they claim to be filling existing orders.
                      • Iver
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                          Here is a bit more info. about Meade on Amart.

                          http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=530374
                        • George Cushing
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                            My dealer says he can't order anything on the phone anymore and by the
                            time the paper shuffle is over so will be the shopping season.

                            Should be a great season for Synta/Celestron.
                            Geo.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                              Okay here is the deal kids
                              Meade is still a viable company - there were able to sell $6,000,000
                              in stock and still have market value.
                              They need to sell IMHO and my guess that is the direction they are
                              going.
                              Maybe the previous owner will step up or an offshore company will pick
                              them up.
                              My guess? The Chinese will be the new owner first quarter of next year.
                              Don't bury them yet.
                              Herb York
                              www.Binocs.com
                              www.BuyTelescopes.com
                              www.AstroMart.com

                              On Nov 3, 2007, at 6:27 PM, George Cushing wrote:

                              My dealer says he can't order anything on the phone anymore and by the
                              time the paper shuffle is over so will be the shopping season.

                              Should be a great season for Synta/Celestron.
                              Geo.

                              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                              > Meade is basically broke and in debt. What happens to them (sellout,
                              > regorganization, etc.) depends on what happens this holiday season
                              (which
                              > for businesses is about halfway over).
                              >
                              > Peace,
                              > Rod Mollise
                              > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                              > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                              > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                            • Frank Sperl
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                                No doubt, I would tend to agree. There is a lot of Walmart money in
                                China and they love to spend for acquisitions, especially where they
                                have already established manufacturing operations on the mainland. The
                                only catch is that the Chinese are not the only ones with excess capital
                                to spend. Neither is this new in the selling out of American
                                manufacturers. Still it will be interesting to watch. I don't think
                                that the investors are happy and they might hold out for some return as
                                many have lost a lot of money - a painful amount.

                                They are definitely in a raise the cash mode with halting production on
                                so many models. The good part is that they are still making the core
                                products that built them from the ground up. Even they admitted that
                                the LX Series was long on life at 15 years, it is a proven platform -
                                just needs some minor tweaking ;-) . Well at least they have enough
                                cash on hand for any severance or parachute funds.

                                Frank
                                Herb York wrote:

                                > Okay here is the deal kids
                                > Meade is still a viable company - there were able to sell $6,000,000
                                > in stock and still have market value.
                                > They need to sell IMHO and my guess that is the direction they are
                                > going.
                                > Maybe the previous owner will step up or an offshore company will pick
                                > them up.
                                > My guess? The Chinese will be the new owner first quarter of next year.
                                > Don't bury them yet.
                                > Herb York
                                >

                                > On Nov 3, 2007, at 6:27 PM, George Cushing wrote:
                                >
                                > My dealer says he can't order anything on the phone anymore and by the
                                > time the paper shuffle is over so will be the shopping season.
                                >
                                > Should be a great season for Synta/Celestron.
                                > Geo.
                                >
                                > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Meade is basically broke and in debt. What happens to them (sellout,
                                > > regorganization, etc.) depends on what happens this holiday season
                                > (which
                                > > for businesses is about halfway over).
                                > >
                                > > Peace,
                                > > Rod Mollise

                                "Quality is not an add on, it's an intrinsic value built in through sound engineering and flawless execution" - Frank Sperl

                              • William Dittus
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 4, 2007
                                  All

                                  I too want Meade to survive, however I am NOT so eager to sell yet another
                                  company to an off shore company or country.

                                  We Americans are truly capitalists, BUT it's time (way past time) to wake up
                                  and see that we barely have any manufacturing left in this country.

                                  I too enjoy the cheap prices of the goods made overseas, but at what
                                  cost????

                                  Everyone was all for NAFTA, moving manufacturing to what we thought was
                                  Mexico....

                                  At what point to we look and see, what have we left for our grandchildren?

                                  Not much I am afraid........

                                  But the sale of Meade will not make much difference in the short or long
                                  term of our country.

                                  But, collectively .....hmmmmmmmmmm

                                  Just the ramblings of an old American man.

                                  Bill

                                  Herb York wrote:

                                  > Okay here is the deal kids
                                  > Meade is still a viable company - there were able to sell $6,000,000
                                  > in stock and still have market value.
                                  > They need to sell IMHO and my guess that is the direction they are
                                  > going.
                                  > Maybe the previous owner will step up or an offshore company will pick
                                  > them up.
                                  > My guess? The Chinese will be the new owner first quarter of next year.
                                  > Don't bury them yet.
                                  > Herb York
                                  >

                                  > On Nov 3, 2007, at 6:27 PM, George Cushing wrote:
                                  >
                                  > My dealer says he can't order anything on the phone anymore and by the
                                  > time the paper shuffle is over so will be the shopping season.
                                  >
                                  > Should be a great season for Synta/Celestron.
                                  > Geo.
                                  >
                                  > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Meade is basically broke and in debt. What happens to them (sellout,
                                  > > regorganization, etc.) depends on what happens this holiday season
                                  > (which
                                  > > for businesses is about halfway over).
                                  > >
                                  > > Peace,
                                  > > Rod Mollise

                                  Dk1ODYEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgyODA1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTk0MTQwMTg1>

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 4, 2007
                                    Meade will survive, though in exactly what form and belonging to whom
                                    remains to be determined.

                                    As for capitalists (and socialists), unless they are carrying SCTs they are
                                    off topic here. ;-)

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 4, 2007
                                      Meade's CEO may have slipped when he said advanced products were moving
                                      to manufacturers Meade has an existing relationship with. That implies
                                      GSO and China/Taiwan, not Meade Mexico.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 4, 2007
                                        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                                        > Meade will survive, though in exactly what form and belonging to whom
                                        > remains to be determined.
                                        >

                                        > As for capitalists (and socialists), unless they are carrying SCTs
                                        > they are off topic here. ;-)

                                        What if they are CARD-carrying capitalists, socialists, whatever?

                                        Allow me to elaborate --

                                        We need an sct-user wallet-sized ID card. It should mimic any legal
                                        driver's photo license -- with the difference being that instead of
                                        a person's picture it'd bear a picture of that person's SCT!

                                        With such an ID card, we wouldn't have to haul our SCTs around on
                                        our backs when doing normal chores such as supermarket shopping,
                                        going to work, playing sports, etc. With the larger SCTs it's really
                                        a pain in a supermarket to tip-toe up to reach items on the top shelf.

                                        :-)
                                      • Thad Floryan
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 4, 2007
                                          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "George Cushing" <pinyachta@...> wrote:

                                          > Meade's CEO may have slipped when he said advanced products were moving
                                          > to manufacturers Meade has an existing relationship with. That implies
                                          > GSO and China/Taiwan, not Meade Mexico.

                                          My interpretation is manufacturing in China, assembly in Mexico, and
                                          warehousing/shipping in Irvine.
                                        • Rod Mollise