RE: [sct-user] Remove water from telescope eyepiece

  • Rod Mollise
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      Like the doctor said, DON'T do that. ;-)

      Much depends on the eyepieces in question. If they are Plossls or other
      simple designs, sure, you can take 'em apart. Be sure to take notes so you
      can get 'em back together correctly. Most modern eyepieces can be
      disassembled by unscrewing the barrel, but some may require you to buy or
      fabricate a spanner type tool. It may be helpful to wear cotton gloves to
      keep fingerprints off small, hard to handle lens elements.

      If it's a TV or other expensive widefield, your best bet is to send it to
      the manufacturer.

      Peace,
      Rod Mollise
      Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
      The Urban Astronomer's Guide
      <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        You'll probably want to get an optical spanner wrench to remove all the
        retaining rings. A screwdriver can be used in a pinch, but with as many as
        you'll have to remove and replace, it's almost guaranteed the screwdriver will
        slip at least once and put a big scratch in a lens.

        Pay close attention to the order of the parts, and which side is which on each,
        especially the lenses.

        For more expensive EPs, it would probably be better to send them to the
        manufacturer for repair.

        -John

        --- Tom Colt <tcolt@...> wrote:

        > my eyepieces where rained on about 2 months ago downpoured and I have
        > water in them. Any ideas my next move is to take them apart at the
        > moment I have nothing to lose. Any help would be great there are 6 that
        > took a soaking bath. Thanks Tom Colt

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?