Re: The SCT User 2007 Imaging Contest

  • Frank Dilatush
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2007
      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:
      I'll be back to you on the prize-gitter idea.
      > :-)
      >
      > Peace,
      > Rod Mollise
      > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
      > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
      > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

      Listen now Uncle Rod, as Ken mentioned we've been on this roller
      coaster ride with you before. With best intentions you get busy
      wrestling alligators and forget about draining the swamp.
      Try something new this year.

      The way I see it you've got a good product and a partial
      infrastructure in place to sell it. Roth's website is superb, Judges
      are ready, you just need a few more key positions filled and you'll
      have a functional "fire and forget" imaging contest.

      Give me a verbal letter of marque and you'll have booty to entice
      contestants. Pick a Marketing Man from the large pool of retired
      talent on this list and you'll have advertising. And lastly pick an
      Assistant Cat Herder to keep everybody pulling in the same direction
      while you work on other projects. Notice I said "pick"? There are a
      pile of folks here who would do anything for you if you _just_ ask.

      Kevin was a great Majordomo but it's too much for one guy.
      Many hands make light work. Delegate, empower,
      then sit back and watch it happen 8^)

      cheers,

      Frank
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2007
        HI Frank:

        Have at it. Sponsor-wise...

        Astronomics is onboard, and I've approached Anacortes and OPT (waiting to
        hear back from them). Otherwise the field is a clear one. ;-)

        The trouble is not "picking" somebody to do these jobs, but getting anybody
        to volunteer to do so. ;-)

        _____

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Frank Sperl <mitty@...> wrote:
          <snippers>
          Putin off the contest a bit only allows me enough time to get some
          wedges out the door. Gonna be real busy in about a week.

          > Frank and Cindy@ Mitty Industries
          > www.mittyindustries.com
          >
          > An Imaging Contest prize contributor

          Well Frank, here I am, a day late and a dollar short as usual <G>
          Glad you're feeling better mister, that sounded like some horrific
          surgery you went through.

          Hey, noticing your tag line, what can we count on from Mitty
          Industries as a donation to the Imaging Contest? Anything you care to
          offer is fine and we'll get you listed on the Sponsor's page.

          warm regards,

          Frank D
          Colorado
        • Frank Dilatush
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

            > HI Frank:
            >
            > Have at it. Sponsor-wise...
            >
            > Astronomics is onboard, and I've approached Anacortes and OPT
            >(waiting to hear back from them). Otherwise the field is a clear one. ;-)

            > The trouble is not "picking" somebody to do these jobs, but getting
            >anybody to volunteer to do so. ;-)
            >
            > Peace,
            > Rod Mollise
            > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
            > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
            > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

            I'm shaking the bush Boss 8^)

            Dean at Starizona, Thomas Baader at Baader Planetarium, Jim at
            Scopestuff...all will probably be amenable. Celestron's gotten pretty
            stingy the last couple years but Andre P might be able to squeeze a
            Sky Scout out of them. Probably wouldn't even make it past the Attack
            Secretary at Meade but there are plenty of other prospects. With luck
            we'll have to take rain checks on some of the goodies for next year's
            contest.

            On volunteers I think you just sneak up on 'em and say,
            "BOO!! You look like a volunteer!" <LOL>. Ken Hutchinson has a fine
            analytical mind and a steady nature, a natural born Contest Cat Herder
            I'd say. And how about that Floryan fellow for marketing the contest
            to various astronomy groups. Lord knows he's got the time and energy!

            Rod, there are a couple other easy things you could do to pump up the
            buzz a little. Put a link to the contest in your sig line and mention
            it at the end of every blog entry. And as Ken stated, there
            _absolutely_ should be a separate paragraph on the Group home page
            touting the contest.

            ...just cut and paste something like this:

            < Enter the 2007 SCT User Imaging Contest, all entries welcome.
            Any astronomical photo taken with any camera and catadioptric scope
            between September 1 2006 and October 31 2007 will be eligible for
            prizes. Contest information and rules located here:
            http://www.rothritter.com/contest/2007/index.html >

            I'm going prize huntin' now,

            FD
          • Thad Floryan
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Dilatush" <rfsinc@...> wrote:
              > [...]
              > Dean at Starizona, Thomas Baader at Baader Planetarium, Jim at
              > Scopestuff...all will probably be amenable. Celestron's gotten
              > pretty stingy the last couple years but Andre P might be able to
              > squeeze a Sky Scout out of them. Probably wouldn't even make it past
              > the Attack Secretary at Meade but there are plenty of other
              > prospects.

              Notice how Meade's advertising pages have shrunk recently in the
              various astronomy mags?

              > [...]
              > I'd say. And how about that Floryan fellow for marketing the contest
              > to various astronomy groups. Lord knows he's got the time and
              > energy!

              True only until the end of this week. I'm beginning a part-time,
              long-term consulting job Monday July 9 to take up the slack with my
              current work -- it's a old-line Linux-based operation that needs my
              help -- and I couldn't refuse since they're in the flanking building
              where I presently work and the compensation is welcome. There's only
              24 hours in a day (in this universe :-)
            • Frank Sperl
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                Hello Frank

                Frank S. has his ups and downs, he opted not to have back surgery as he
                is leery of people cutting on his back - especially if they have the
                morning shakes. He has been doing exercises at my insistence and
                resting a bit, and every now and then he has a bad day and out comes the
                Morphine. But so much for the old geezer. He hardly gets on the
                computer anymore other than for some design work and he has his laptop
                for that so he can rest supine in the easy chair and get work done.

                I sent Rod (Uncle Rod, Unk Rod?) a private letter of support as our
                products only appeal to brand specific users until later this year when
                the Celestron Wedges come out. I'll leave it to Rod to work out the
                integration of our contribution. We have always had an interest in
                supporting the hobby and over the past five years in some rather unusual
                ways. For instance when people receive an object d'art at Christmas
                time that was handmade for them because of _their_ contribution to the
                hobby. Frank really is looking forward to judging this years contest,
                he is an old film addict you know - used to work as a Senior Tech. for
                Qualex div. of Kodak.

                Warm Regards

                Cindy Sperl
                Mitty Industries
                http://www.mittyindustries.com

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Hi Frank:

                  Let me know what you hear from these folks...thanks for your efforts.

                  Rod

                • bdittus@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Rod

                    I have NOT participated in the imaging contest due to lack of experience with astro imaging, and lack of hardware, I am grateful you sponsor this event every year. Once I set aside for some equipment, I look forward to entering the contest.

                    Bill

                    From: rmollise@... <rmollise@...>
                    Hi Frank:

                    Let me know what you hear from these folks...thanks for your efforts.

                    Rod

                    > From: "Frank Dilatush" <rfsinc@...>
                    > Date: 2007/07/03 Tue AM 06:43:44 CDT
                    > To: sct-user@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [sct-user] Re: The SCT User 2007 Imaging Contest
                    >
                    > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > HI Frank:
                    > >
                    > > Have at it. Sponsor-wise...
                    > >
                    > > Astronomics is onboard, and I've approached Anacortes and OPT
                    > >(waiting to hear back from them). Otherwise the field is a clear one. ;-)
                    >
                    > > The trouble is not "picking" somebody to do these jobs, but getting
                    > >anybody to volunteer to do so. ;-)
                    > >
                    > > Peace,
                    > > Rod Mollise
                    > > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                    > > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                    > > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>
                    >
                    > I'm shaking the bush Boss 8^)
                    >
                    > Dean at Starizona, Thomas Baader at Baader Planetarium, Jim at
                    > Scopestuff...all will probably be amenable. Celestron's gotten pretty
                    > stingy the last couple years but Andre P might be able to squeeze a
                    > Sky Scout out of them. Probably wouldn't even make it past the Attack
                    > Secretary at Meade but there are plenty of other prospects. With luck
                    > we'll have to take rain checks on some of the goodies for next year's
                    > contest.
                    >
                    > On volunteers I think you just sneak up on 'em and say,
                    > "BOO!! You look like a volunteer!" <LOL>. Ken Hutchinson has a fine
                    > analytical mind and a steady nature, a natural born Contest Cat Herder
                    > I'd say. And how about that Floryan fellow for marketing the contest
                    > to various astronomy groups. Lord knows he's got the time and energy!
                    >
                    > Rod, there are a couple other easy things you could do to pump up the
                    > buzz a little. Put a link to the contest in your sig line and mention
                    > it at the end of every blog entry. And as Ken stated, there
                    > _absolutely_ should be a separate paragraph on the Group home page
                    > touting the contest.
                    >
                    > ...just cut and paste something like this:
                    >
                    > < Enter the 2007 SCT User Imaging Contest, all entries welcome.
                    > Any astronomical photo taken with any camera and catadioptric scope
                    > between September 1 2006 and October 31 2007 will be eligible for
                    > prizes. Contest information and rules located here:
                    > http://www.rothritter.com/contest/2007/index.html >
                    >
                    > I'm going prize huntin' now,
                    >
                    > FD

                  • Rod Mollise

                      From: rmollise@bellsouth. <mailto:rmollise%40bellsouth.net> net
                      <rmollise@bellsouth. <mailto:rmollise%40bellsouth.net> net>

                      Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

                      > > HI Frank:
                      > >
                      > > Have at it. Sponsor-wise...
                      > >
                      > > Astronomics is onboard, and I've approached Anacortes and OPT
                      > >(waiting to hear back from them). Otherwise the field is a clear one. ;-)
                      >
                      > > The trouble is not "picking" somebody to do these jobs, but getting
                      > >anybody to volunteer to do so. ;-)
                      > >
                      > > Peace,
                      > > Rod Mollise
                      > > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                      > > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                      > > <http://skywatch. <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>
                      brainiac.com/astroland>

                      > I'm shaking the bush Boss 8^)
                      >
                      > Dean at Starizona, Thomas Baader at Baader Planetarium, Jim at
                      > Scopestuff...all will probably be amenable. Celestron's gotten pretty
                      > stingy the last couple years but Andre P might be able to squeeze a
                      > Sky Scout out of them. Probably wouldn't even make it past the Attack
                      > Secretary at Meade but there are plenty of other prospects. With luck
                      > we'll have to take rain checks on some of the goodies for next year's
                      > contest.
                      >
                      > On volunteers I think you just sneak up on 'em and say,
                      > "BOO!! You look like a volunteer!" <LOL>. Ken Hutchinson has a fine
                      > analytical mind and a steady nature, a natural born Contest Cat Herder
                      > I'd say. And how about that Floryan fellow for marketing the contest
                      > to various astronomy groups. Lord knows he's got the time and energy!
                      >
                      > Rod, there are a couple other easy things you could do to pump up the
                      > buzz a little. Put a link to the contest in your sig line and mention
                      > it at the end of every blog entry. And as Ken stated, there
                      > _absolutely_ should be a separate paragraph on the Group home page
                      > touting the contest.
                      >
                      > ...just cut and paste something like this:
                      >
                      > < Enter the 2007 SCT User Imaging Contest, all entries welcome.
                      > Any astronomical photo taken with any camera and catadioptric scope
                      > between September 1 2006 and October 31 2007 will be eligible for
                      > prizes. Contest information and rules located here:
                      > http://www.rothritt <http://www.rothritter.com/contest/2007/index.html>
                      er.com/contest/2007/index.html >

                      > I'm going prize huntin' now,
                      >
                      > FD

                    • Tom Rauschenbach
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                        I'm planning to take my second DSO photo tonight. The configuration I have in
                        mind has my SCT carrying a guide camera with a little refractor on the back
                        for imaging. Would that image be acceptable ? I don't plan on winning, I'm
                        just wondering if this counts as participating.

                        I only have two cameras, and my webcam is not sensitive enough for DSOs. But
                        I'm hoping that with 8 inches of aperture it can find a guide star.

                        --
                        There's a curious but predictable result when these two people meet. One
                        of them has a lot of money and the other has a lot of experience. After

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3, 2007
                            On Tuesday 03 July 2007 18:58, Rod Mollise wrote:
                            > Nope...you need to reverse things...guide with the refractor and iamge
                            > through the SCT.

                            I thought you'd say that. I'll likely do the experiment, but I'm expecting
                            that I won't have good results that way. The refractor and webcam won't (I
                            expect) see stars in my light polluted skies and so won't be able to guide.
                            The webcam just isn't that sensitive.

                            My SBIG has a sort of pseudo guiding mode that might work with just one
                            camera and scope. but I'm thinking that my first contest entry will be next
                            year at the earliest.

                            My short term goal is to get good enough at imaging to be able to use nights
                            of poor transparency without wasting good nights for visual observing.

                            > Peace,
                            > Rod Mollise
                            > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
                            > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
                            > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>
                            >

                            > _____

                            "It's just chocolate...."
                            [Heather Hussey, after Charlie ate 300 grams of 85% cocoa German chocolate.]
                          • Rod Mollise
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 4, 2007
                              Yeah-ah...that's the way to go. In CCDops, you'll find a mode called "track
                              and accumulate." Do a decent polar alignment. Apply PEC if you've got it,
                              point that CAT at M13, focus as well as you can, and track and accumulate
                              away. I believe you may be surprised. ;-)