Re: Minor Moon problem with Celestron SkyScout

  • Thad Floryan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Logan" <wb9sat@...> wrote:

      > Bad Thad!! LOL

      Heh heh, I couldn't resist! I still need to check the SkyScout group
      to see if the guy fainted after reading that regarding the Moon being
      "off" in his sights.

      The LX9000 parody of the HAL-9000 was funny, too. I've seen it before
      but it popped-up in a Google search using "astronomy humor" -- there's
      a lot of good stuff found in that search.
    • Thad Floryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

        > --- Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
        > > Other astronomy revelations at the following URLs:
        > > <http://home.fuse.net/astronomy/humor.html>
        > >
        > > April Fool! :-)
        >
        > The story about the voice activated LX9000 in the year 2010 shows just
        > how hard it is to made predictions. That's been available in various
        > forms since at least the year 2000. And it can only find 23 minor
        > planets? Any modern computerized scope can find any of the 300,000+
        > currently known asteroids, although depending on the model you might
        > need to be connected to a star-charting/scope control program.

        Even more bizarre is the fact Astro-Physics made just such a voice
        response and feedback system for the LX200 Classic and other scopes
        called the "DigitalSky Voice".

        Here's a few URLs describing it:

        <http://www.company7.com/astrophy/servos/gto.html> [halfway down]

        <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/> [circa 2001 !]

        <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/dsv_addendum.pdf>
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

          > The LX9000 parody of the HAL-9000 was funny, too. I've seen it before
          > but it popped-up in a Google search using "astronomy humor" -- there's
          > a lot of good stuff found in that search.

          Another oldie but goodie that I just dredged up for a discussion on another
          group- the "12 commandments of amateur astronomy":

          <http://www.astro-tom.com/tips_and_advice/ten_commandments.htm>

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
            --- Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:

            > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- Thad Floryan <thad@...> wrote:
            > > > Other astronomy revelations at the following URLs:
            > > > <http://home.fuse.net/astronomy/humor.html>
            > > >
            > > > April Fool! :-)
            > >
            > > The story about the voice activated LX9000 in the year 2010 shows just
            > > how hard it is to made predictions. That's been available in various
            > > forms since at least the year 2000. And it can only find 23 minor
            > > planets? Any modern computerized scope can find any of the 300,000+
            > > currently known asteroids, although depending on the model you might
            > > need to be connected to a star-charting/scope control program.
            >
            > Even more bizarre is the fact Astro-Physics made just such a voice
            > response and feedback system for the LX200 Classic and other scopes
            > called the "DigitalSky Voice".
            >
            > Here's a few URLs describing it:
            >
            > <http://www.company7.com/astrophy/servos/gto.html> [halfway down]
            >
            > <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/> [circa 2001 !]
            >
            > <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/dsv_addendum.pdf>

            Yes, that was the system I was talking about (I think there may be one or two
            others). I met the guy who did the programming for the DSV at Astrofest around
            2000, just after it was released. A rather hyperactive guy from Russia or east
            Europe somewhere.

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          • Thad Floryan
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:
              > > [...]
              > > Even more bizarre is the fact Astro-Physics made just such a voice
              > > response and feedback system for the LX200 Classic and other scopes
              > > called the "DigitalSky Voice".
              > >
              > > Here's a few URLs describing it:
              > >
              > > <http://www.company7.com/astrophy/servos/gto.html> [halfway down]
              > >
              > > <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/> [circa 2001 !]
              > >
              > > <http://www.astro-physics.com/tech_support/dsv/dsv_addendum.pdf>
              >
              > Yes, that was the system I was talking about (I think there may be
              one or two
              > others). I met the guy who did the programming for the DSV at
              Astrofest around
              > 2000, just after it was released. A rather hyperactive guy from
              Russia or east
              > Europe somewhere.

              Hmmm, even more interesting:

              <http://www.digitalskyvoice.com/>

              where it's claimed DSV was S&T's Hot New Product for 1999. The only
              other thing on that page is:

              " Thank you for visting DigitalSky Voice, but unfortunately we are
              " offline pending the upcoming major new release.
              "
              " DigitalSky Voice will return shortly.
              "
              " Thank you Charles Sinsofsky Author: DigitalSky Voice