Re: Acceptable temperature for scope storage?

  • starhopper44
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@...> wrote:

      > --- starhopper44 <starhopper44@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Maybe this won't 'hit' 'less you're a "country boy" but......
      > > anybody else ever see one of those big ol' plastic liquid
      fertilizer
      > > tanks bein' hauled around by a tractor, or at a local agri-supply
      > > house? & wonder what it'd take to get one of those, slice off
      one
      > > end or, in half -- cut a view-slot in both halves & nest 'em so
      > > turning one would close the slot........
      >
      > Sorry Starhopper, you're too late to file for a patent. There's a
      company
      > called polydome <http://www.polydome.com/polydome.html> that sells
      big plastic
      > tanks and other large plastic structures used in farming and
      ranching, all from
      > that same polyethylene plastic. Well it seems someone on
      the "Observatories"
      > yahoo group had a friend at the company, and took one look at their
      dome-shaped
      > "calf shelters"
      > <http://www.polydome.com/calf_nursery.html>
      > and the light bulb went on. The result is
      > <http://www.explora-dome.com/>
      > Since it's a molded structure, production is far less labor
      intensive, and thus
      > a tiny fraction of the price, compared to the fiberglass domes sold
      by
      > Home-Dome/Pro-Dome, Sirius, etc.
      >
      > -John

      Howdy John,

      Of that first site's top photo - my thought was, "Now THERE's a STAR
      PARTY!" *LOL*
      For some reason however, it bothers me that in their bottom photo of
      the 'Work Area Cones & Stool', whichever one's s'posed to be the
      stool, is no wider at the top than the other'n. Woah!! <G>

      BUT - that one 'finished product' (Explora Dome) spec, in the last
      link, only 54" tall?!?!! Presuming you're sitting, take a tape
      measure, run out 54" & stand it vertically beside yourself. Just
      sittin' here in my computer chair I'm already 51" -- and my observing
      stool's even taller -- that's surely no workable solution!

      The cited 'lower pictures' - in the last 'finished product' Explora
      Dome site, where it shows the square transition for the 'coming soon'
      building?.....that shows it (as if the measurement didn't) to NOT be
      the 'finished product'. With the dome alone already at $650, where's
      the deal?? Think too of the room needed to circle your
      pier/tripod...table for laptop, etc. The tanks I'm talkin' about
      look like you could stand up straight, & even have a few folks inside
      with you.

      I see one, 1750-gallon, that is 74" tall & 80" across, & sells for
      $589, now that's more like it!
      I wouldn't be worried about any patenting, branding etc ... more one
      you could just build for yourself, for instance.
      Just thinkin'.......

      Clear'ns!
      ~S*H

      Honour thy Hubble, and keep it wholly. ~Star*Hopper
    • Martin Thompson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
        Ummm... the 54" height is from the rim to top of dome, add to it
        whatever height walls you build to set it on for finished inside height

        Martin

        ________________________________

        > > Maybe this won't 'hit' 'less you're a "country boy" but......
        > > anybody else ever see one of those big ol' plastic liquid
        fertilizer
        > > tanks bein' hauled around by a tractor, or at a local agri-supply
        > > house? & wonder what it'd take to get one of those, slice off
        one
        > > end or, in half -- cut a view-slot in both halves & nest 'em so
        > > turning one would close the slot........
        >
        > Sorry Starhopper, you're too late to file for a patent. There's a
        company
        > called polydome <http://www.polydome.com/polydome.html> that sells
        big plastic
        > tanks and other large plastic structures used in farming and
        ranching, all from
        > that same polyethylene plastic. Well it seems someone on
        the "Observatories"
        > yahoo group had a friend at the company, and took one look at their
        dome-shaped
        > "calf shelters"
        > <http://www.polydome.com/calf_nursery.html>
        > and the light bulb went on. The result is
        > <http://www.explora-dome.com/>
        > Since it's a molded structure, production is far less labor
        intensive, and thus
        > a tiny fraction of the price, compared to the fiberglass domes sold
        by
        > Home-Dome/Pro-Dome, Sirius, etc.
        >
        > -John

        Howdy John,

        Of that first site's top photo - my thought was, "Now THERE's a STAR
        PARTY!" *LOL*
        For some reason however, it bothers me that in their bottom photo of
        the 'Work Area Cones & Stool', whichever one's s'posed to be the
        stool, is no wider at the top than the other'n. Woah!! <G>

        BUT - that one 'finished product' (Explora Dome) spec, in the last
        link, only 54" tall?!?!! Presuming you're sitting, take a tape
        measure, run out 54" & stand it vertically beside yourself. Just
        sittin' here in my computer chair I'm already 51" -- and my observing
        stool's even taller -- that's surely no workable solution!

        The cited 'lower pictures' - in the last 'finished product' Explora
        Dome site, where it shows the square transition for the 'coming soon'
        building?.....that shows it (as if the measurement didn't) to NOT be
        the 'finished product'. With the dome alone already at $650, where's
        the deal?? Think too of the room needed to circle your
        pier/tripod...table for laptop, etc. The tanks I'm talkin' about
        look like you could stand up straight, & even have a few folks inside
        with you.

        I see one, 1750-gallon, that is 74" tall & 80" across, & sells for
        $589, now that's more like it!
        I wouldn't be worried about any patenting, branding etc ... more one
        you could just build for yourself, for instance.
        Just thinkin'.......

        Clear'ns!
        ~S*H

        Honour thy Hubble, and keep it wholly. ~Star*Hopper

        Visit the sct-user home page at:

        http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

        Schmidt cassegrain telescope
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Schmidt+cassegrain+telescope&w1=Sch
        midt+cassegrain+telescope&c=1&s=34&.sig=oxESXdK-3kDYM5quhAdrZw>

      • Sam Barziza
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
          Star Hopper:
          That sounds like a very nifty idea, I like it. But if I wanted to
          get one of those big plastic tanks, how in the world would I make cuts
          in it for the doors and if wanted to take a little off the bottom how
          would you make a nice straight cut ? I imagine you would use a power saw
          of some type, and just be creative and make a jig to hold it ??
          Or some how mount that big plastic tank on a slow turning table. Next
          get a low power blow touch, and make nice easy cuts like that ?
          All I gots is a small cnc mill, so I would really have to think about
          how to cut that baby. There is no way I could use that cnc on it.

          Sam

          www.us-astro.com

        • starhopper44
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Thompson" <ronin@...> wrote:

            > Ummm... the 54" height is from the rim to top of dome, add to it
            > whatever height walls you build to set it on for finished inside
            height

            > Martin
            >
            > ________________________________

            If I'm goin' the 4 walls route, I think I can build a roll-off roof
            (motorized even) way cheaper'n any $650-plus-you-add-means-of-
            rotation plastic bubble! ~8)

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Sam Barziza <sbarziza@...> wrote:

              > Star Hopper:
              > That sounds like a very nifty idea, I like it. But if I wanted
              > get one of those big plastic tanks, how in the world would I make
              cuts
              > in it for the doors and if wanted to take a little off the bottom
              how
              > would you make a nice straight cut ? I imagine you would use a
              power saw
              > of some type, and just be creative and make a jig to hold it ??
              > Or some how mount that big plastic tank on a slow turning table.
              Next
              > get a low power blow touch, and make nice easy cuts like that ?
              > All I gots is a small cnc mill, so I would really have to think
              about
              > how to cut that baby. There is no way I could use that cnc on it.
              >
              > Sam

              Yo, Sam...
              I'm just the dreamer - the idea man. Production is another
              department. <G>

              I'll just say, where there's a will, there's a....probate court?
              No....a way. <G> Plastic can be marked...melted...sawed...

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2006
                --- starhopper44 <starhopper44@...> wrote:

                > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Thompson" <ronin@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ummm... the 54" height is from the rim to top of dome, add to it
                > > whatever height walls you build to set it on for finished inside
                > height
                > >
                > > Martin
                > >
                > > ________________________________
                >
                > If I'm goin' the 4 walls route, I think I can build a roll-off roof
                > (motorized even) way cheaper'n any $650-plus-you-add-means-of-
                > rotation plastic bubble! ~8)

                I prefer roll-offs myself, but there are some reasons why some might prefer a
                dome (wind protection, neighbor's security light, etc). Last year Buck Harley
                donated his 7" Meade ED refractor to the public obs I run, and we're running
                out of room on the obs grounds for another roll-off, so we decided we wanted a
                dome. So I spent several months looking into the commercial options, and the
                first thing I found is that most suppliers provide only the dome- you build
                your own building under it. And those domes run in the neighborhood of $1000
                per _foot_ of diameter, just for the dome. So $650 for an 8' dome is
                incredibly cheap. I only wish they made them in larger sizes, because I can
                now tell you from experience that building a 12' dome yourself is _not_ easy
                (but it is a lot cheaper than $1000/foot diameter).

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jaroslaw Pillardy
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Hi,

                  Thanks! I am moving my scopes to the shed this weekend.

                  Accidentally I have found yesterday a link to an observatory based on
                  the same shed

                  I am using (with no additional ventilation):

                  http://www.jemartool.com/astro/observatory/observatory.htm

                  Unfortunately I can't convert my shed into an observatory since it sits
                  next to a big tree :-).

                  Best,

                  Jarek