[sct-user] Re: Televue 55mm Plossl vs. 35mm Panoptic

  • Lee Hiers
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 12:31 AM
      On 31 Mar 00, at 17:20, Chuck Scappaticci wrote:

      > How do you like your Televue 32mm Plossl? I was thinking of getting one to
      > provide wider field views than my Vixen 8x24 zoom until I can save up for a 35mm
      > Panoptic...

      I've also got the TV 32 and like it. With the R/C on the C8D, I can just fit
      in both halves of the double cluster...a neat view and plenty sharp for me.

      HTH,

      Lee

      --
      Lee Hiers
      Cornelia, GA

      aa4ga@...
    • Chuck Hancock
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 12:18 PM
        David-

        Sorry if this has been answered recently, but how could I find out more
        about these Gary Russel EP's?

        Thanks.

        --
        Best regards,
        Chuck Hancock

        c d h 5 9 at b e l l s o u t h d o t n e t
      • David Tetreault
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 12:39 PM
          > David-
          >
          > Sorry if this has been answered recently, but how could I find out more
          > about these Gary Russel EP's?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > > for wide field views. I've ordered a Gary Russell 40mm EP.
          > > It should be acceptable at the edge in an f/10 system. With
          > > the 2" hardware there seems to be little reason for using 1.25"
          > > diagonals anymore except for using the R/C. It should be an
          > > interesting comparison using the 35mm Ultrascopic + R/C
          > > versus the 2" 40mm. Gary says it has a 60*+ AFOV.
          >
          > --
          > Best regards,
          > Chuck Hancock
          >
          > c d h 5 9 at b e l l s o u t h d o t n e t

          Howdy Chuck

          Gary has a web page at:
          http://www.ctaz.com/~optics/
          I don't know how up to date it is. When he makes a new
          batch of EPs, usually 3 to 5 at a time, he places an add
          on Astromart. That seems to be every 2 or 3 weeks. He
          will also take custom orders although it may take a while
          to fill as he locates the proper glass. This will be my first
          purchase from him. You will all be sure to know how the
          EP fares when it gets here.

          About a month ago he posted a great sounding EP on
          Astromart with a leather case. I called him about 12 hours
          later and they were all gone. Well, sitting at home with
          busted ribs made me all the more determined to acquire
          one as the other options, Pentax & UO, are a bit expensive
          for a temporary workmans comp salary. After 2&1/2 weeks
          of diligent Astromart observing, the only observing I can do
          right now, he finally posted EPs for sale. An immediate
          reply got me the item and luckily it was a 40mm. Just the
          size I needed. It was the high point of a dull 3 weeks. One
          more week and it's thankfully back to work. This house is
          getting awfully small.

          Clear skies
          Frez
        • Chuck Hancock
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 1:11 PM
            Frez-

            Thanks for the info. Hang in there. ;)

            > size I needed. It was the high point of a dull 3 weeks. One
            > more week and it's thankfully back to work. This house is
            > getting awfully small.

            Best regards,
            Chuck Hancock

            c d h 5 9 at b e l l s o u t h d o t n e t
          • Astrogeek20@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 10:48 PM
              Hi Frez,
              I have ordered a couple of things from Gary so far and am very pleased with
              the quality of his workmanship. The latest is one of his binoviewers which
              has opened up a whole new 3-D world to me in lunar viewing. Hope ya get to
              feeling better.
              Clear nights, John
            • David Tetreault
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 11:10 PM
                > Hi Frez,
                > I have ordered a couple of things from Gary so far and am very pleased
                with
                > the quality of his workmanship. The latest is one of his binoviewers
                which
                > has opened up a whole new 3-D world to me in lunar viewing. Hope ya get to
                > feeling better.
                > Clear nights, John

                Hi John

                That was the binoviewer he had on Astromart? It looked
                really cool. It was lightweight made from Delrin. The bino
                is fun huh. I use an old micro head on the moon. The 3D
                effect rocks!

                Thanks
                Frez
              • Astrogeek20@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2 7:10 AM
                  Hi Frez,
                  Its a straight through Lomo unit with interpupilatary adjustment. I really
                  like it so far. I use it with 32mm, 26mm, 17mm pairs of plossils. I know
                  what you mean about ordering quick enough. Gary has both a 2" 9mm and 11mm
                  SWA that sell out quicker than you can dial to order them. I think a better
                  plan is to buy a plane ticket to Kingman AZ, pitch my dome tent in his front
                  yard and wait for them to show up from customs. I dont think I would mind
                  the wait though, cause I would definatly have to pack the 80mmWA for the
                  pitch black skies he has there every night :)
                  Talk to you later John