Re: [sct-user] First C8 Saturn this apparition

  • RMOLLISE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
      In a message dated 10/3/04 11:52:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
      mistal@... writes:
      Wow, very nice!

      Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?

      Hi:

      That's what I thought...I'm trying to find some other recent
      images/observations of Saturn to confirm that...not many folks hitting this apparition yet. ;-)

      Peace,
      Rod Mollise
      http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
      Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
      at the url above.

    • RMOLLISE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
        In a message dated 10/3/04 11:33:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
        eltonkrug@... writes:

        Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be happy with
        that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in your area ?

        Hi:

        I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new there's be
        haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-uh...hazy AND
        unsettled. Go figure.

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
        Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
        at the url above.

      • P T Chambers
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
          That rates a WOW, Rod.

          I can even see the different densitys in the outer ring. How many frames
          did you take and of those, how many did you stack?? (approximately).
          Just curious because you mentioned lousy seeing and I see so much detail.

          ---------
          Phil Chambers [ptchamb@...] (S.F. Bay Area - Calif. USA)

          On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 RMOLLISE@... wrote:

          > HI Gang:
          >
          > I got up in the wee hours and got out with my SAC 7 web/ccd cam and the good,
          > old Ultima C8 for my first run at Saturn this year. Haze and below par seeing
          > kept me from really pumping up the image scale, but I'm happy with what I
          > brought back:
          >
          > http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm
          >
          > This was shot without an IR block filter, was acquired with K3CCD Tools, and
          > was processed with Registax. I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the color
          > balance, but that was it.
          >
          > I gave Venus a try, too, but she looked like an amoeba on the monitor screen,
          > so I gave up as dawn was breaking.. ;-)
          >
          > Peace,
          > Rod Mollise
          > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
          > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
          > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
          > at the url above.

          > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Wayne Reynolds
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results-
            My setiments exactly, Rod. You mean it can get even better ?!!
            About those ovals...you mentioned verifying these. Would these features be fixed or semi-fixed to allow verification later. I certainly hope I able to sees these when I can get at my scope.
            Wayne...the Kid
            eltonkrug@... writes:

            Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be happy with
            that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in your area ?

            Hi:

            I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new there's be
            haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-uh...hazy AND
            unsettled. Go figure.

            Peace,
            Rod Mollise
            http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
            Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
            at the url above.

            Visit the sct-user home page at:

            http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            ---

          • faroutdude52@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, RMOLLISE@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 10/3/04 11:33:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
              > eltonkrug@y... writes:
              >
              > Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be
              happy with
              > that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in
              your area ?

              > Hi:
              >
              > I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new
              there's be
              > haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-
              uh...hazy AND
              > unsettled. Go figure.
              >
              > Peace,
              > Rod Mollise
              > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
              > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
              > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT
              fanciers
              > at the url above.

              ------------------------------------------>
              Hi Rod

              <Go figure>

              Nice shot. Last year at MASP an ole hand at ccd told me when
              everyone is putting their equipment up because of haze he was able
              to get some of his best planet shots due the dim light :))

              Ron
            • gstrumol
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
                Looks darn good to me, Rod! I've been viewing Saturn up north here
                (Detroit) with my TAL 100RS (cools down fast). I haven't set the C8
                out long enough to see what it can do since my viewing occurs around
                6:30 AM and I don't like leaving it out overnight. Nice to see
                you're up and running!

                Gary

              • RMOLLISE@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
                  In a message dated 10/3/04 4:07:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  gstrumol@... writes:
                  6:30 AM and I don't like leaving it out overnight. Nice to see
                  you're up and running!

                  Hi Gary:

                  Don't know if I'll be able to hit him every weekend...but maybe every other
                  weekend until he gets into the evening sky. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                    And Encke's division.
                    -John

                    --- Allen Ball <mistal@...> wrote:

                    > Wow, very nice!
                    >
                    > Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?
                    >

                    > Allen
                    >

                    > HI Gang:
                    >
                    > I got up in the wee hours and got out with my SAC 7 web/ccd cam and
                    > the
                    > good,
                    > old Ultima C8 for my first run at Saturn this year. Haze and below
                    > par
                    > seeing
                    > kept me from really pumping up the image scale, but I'm happy with
                    > what I
                    > brought back:
                    >
                    > http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm
                    >
                    > This was shot without an IR block filter, was acquired with K3CCD
                    > Tools, and
                    > was processed with Registax. I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the
                    > color
                    > balance, but that was it.
                    >
                    > I gave Venus a try, too, but she looked like an amoeba on the monitor
                    > screen,
                    > so I gave up as dawn was breaking.. ;-)
                    >
                    > Peace,
                    > Rod Mollise
                    > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
                    > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
                    > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT
                    > fanciers
                    > at the url above.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • digidodi
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Ahum... That is still a long way from Encke division, sorry to say.
                      Encke division is a very thin line along the outer edge of the A
                      ring. What you see is a by processing contrast boosted albedo
                      difference between the inner and outer parts of the A ring.

                      At least twice the size of this image is needed to start detecting
                      the Encke division.

                      Kind regards,

                      Dodi

                      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@y...> wrote:
                      > And Encke's division.
                      > -John
                      >
                      > --- Allen Ball <mistal@b...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Wow, very nice!
                      > >
                      > > Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?
                      > >

                      > > Allen

                      .com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                        If they're like the ovals on Jupiter, they'll be there for a while.
                        Saturn rotates on its axis in only about 10 hours, so you can see a
                        good chunk of the "surface" in just one night if you keep looking. But
                        right now it rises late and doesn't get above the trubulence until the
                        last hour or two of the night.

                        -John

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                          CCD users may benefit from the haze when imaging planets, because some
                          CCD cameras can't do exposures short enough to avoid saturating when
                          aimed at bright planets. Webcams can do much shorter exposures, and
                          would benefit when the air is clearer, because that would allow the
                          shortest possible exposures, to "freeze" the seeing. But haze (more
                          specifically, humidity) has another benefit: water vapor has a high
                          heat capacity, so humid air cools much more slowly after sunset than
                          dry air. Water vapor is also a greenhouse gas, absorbing infrared from
                          the ground at night, so it cools even more slowly. That way it comes
                          closer to matching the slow rate of ground cooling, so you don't get
                          pockets of warm air rising from the ground through cooler air above,
                          which is a main cause of bad seeing.

                          And it can get even better: wait until it gets foggy (stop laughing!)
                          The best seeing I've ever seen was on the night of the great Leonid
                          meteor storm of 2001, which was not so great here because it got foggy.
                          Visitors at our local observatory gave up around midnight due to the
                          fog, but it was a ground fog, still clear if you looked straight up.
                          The peak of the storm wasn't expected until near morning, so I decided
                          to kill some time looking at Jupiter, which was nearly at the zenith.
                          I was using our 16" Newtonian, and my eyeballs almost popped out! The
                          fog acted like a giant thermal blanket over the ground, smoothing out
                          all the local ground temperature variations, so the air above was
                          incredibly stable. I cranked the scope up to 600X, and just stared at
                          all the very fine detail visible on Jupiter that night.

                          -John

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                            Thanks John, that was what he said also, maybe I was talking to you
                            and didnt know it :))

                            Ron

                            ---------------------------------------->

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                              In a message dated 10/5/2004 2:13:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "digidodi" <ddierick@...> writes:

                              >Ahum... That is still a long way from Encke division, sorry to say.
                              >Encke division is a very thin line along the outer edge of the A
                              >ring. What you see is a by processing contrast boosted albedo
                              >difference between the inner and outer parts of the A ring.
                              >
                              >At least twice the size of this image is needed to start detecting
                              >the Encke division.

                              Hi:

                              Actually, my guess is "neither." It's not the Encke, but is, likely, the brightness variation in that position.