RE: [sct-user] First C8 Saturn this apparition

  • Allen Ball
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
      Wow, very nice!

      Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?

      Allen

      HI Gang:

      I got up in the wee hours and got out with my SAC 7 web/ccd cam and the
      good,
      old Ultima C8 for my first run at Saturn this year. Haze and below par
      seeing
      kept me from really pumping up the image scale, but I'm happy with what I
      brought back:

      http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm

      This was shot without an IR block filter, was acquired with K3CCD Tools, and
      was processed with Registax. I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the color
      balance, but that was it.

      I gave Venus a try, too, but she looked like an amoeba on the monitor
      screen,
      so I gave up as dawn was breaking.. ;-)

      Peace,
      Rod Mollise
      http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
      Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
      at the url above.

      ---
    • RMOLLISE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
        In a message dated 10/3/04 11:52:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
        mistal@... writes:
        Wow, very nice!

        Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?

        Hi:

        That's what I thought...I'm trying to find some other recent
        images/observations of Saturn to confirm that...not many folks hitting this apparition yet. ;-)

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
          In a message dated 10/3/04 11:33:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
          eltonkrug@... writes:

          Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be happy with
          that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in your area ?

          Hi:

          I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new there's be
          haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-uh...hazy AND
          unsettled. Go figure.

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
          Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
          at the url above.

        • P T Chambers
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
            That rates a WOW, Rod.

            I can even see the different densitys in the outer ring. How many frames
            did you take and of those, how many did you stack?? (approximately).
            Just curious because you mentioned lousy seeing and I see so much detail.

            ---------
            Phil Chambers [ptchamb@...] (S.F. Bay Area - Calif. USA)

            On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 RMOLLISE@... wrote:

            > HI Gang:
            >
            > I got up in the wee hours and got out with my SAC 7 web/ccd cam and the good,
            > old Ultima C8 for my first run at Saturn this year. Haze and below par seeing
            > kept me from really pumping up the image scale, but I'm happy with what I
            > brought back:
            >
            > http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm
            >
            > This was shot without an IR block filter, was acquired with K3CCD Tools, and
            > was processed with Registax. I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the color
            > balance, but that was it.
            >
            > I gave Venus a try, too, but she looked like an amoeba on the monitor screen,
            > so I gave up as dawn was breaking.. ;-)
            >
            > Peace,
            > Rod Mollise
            > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
            > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
            > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
            > at the url above.

            > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wayne Reynolds
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
              Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results-
              My setiments exactly, Rod. You mean it can get even better ?!!
              About those ovals...you mentioned verifying these. Would these features be fixed or semi-fixed to allow verification later. I certainly hope I able to sees these when I can get at my scope.
              Wayne...the Kid
              eltonkrug@... writes:

              Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be happy with
              that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in your area ?

              Hi:

              I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new there's be
              haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-uh...hazy AND
              unsettled. Go figure.

              Peace,
              Rod Mollise
              http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
              Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT fanciers
              at the url above.

              Visit the sct-user home page at:

              http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              ---

            • faroutdude52@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
                --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, RMOLLISE@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 10/3/04 11:33:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
                > eltonkrug@y... writes:
                >
                > Hi Rod: For the conditions you described, GREAT results- I'd be
                happy with
                > that under good seeing here. Possibly remnants of "Jeanne" in
                your area ?

                > Hi:
                >
                > I dunno...Thought it might be pretty nice this morning. Oh, I new
                there's be
                > haze, but usually that means the air will be pretty steady. Uh-
                uh...hazy AND
                > unsettled. Go figure.
                >
                > Peace,
                > Rod Mollise
                > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
                > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
                > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT
                fanciers
                > at the url above.

                ------------------------------------------>
                Hi Rod

                <Go figure>

                Nice shot. Last year at MASP an ole hand at ccd told me when
                everyone is putting their equipment up because of haze he was able
                to get some of his best planet shots due the dim light :))

                Ron
              • gstrumol
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Looks darn good to me, Rod! I've been viewing Saturn up north here
                  (Detroit) with my TAL 100RS (cools down fast). I haven't set the C8
                  out long enough to see what it can do since my viewing occurs around
                  6:30 AM and I don't like leaving it out overnight. Nice to see
                  you're up and running!

                  Gary

                • RMOLLISE@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 10/3/04 4:07:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    gstrumol@... writes:
                    6:30 AM and I don't like leaving it out overnight. Nice to see
                    you're up and running!

                    Hi Gary:

                    Don't know if I'll be able to hit him every weekend...but maybe every other
                    weekend until he gets into the evening sky. ;-)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                      And Encke's division.
                      -John

                      --- Allen Ball <mistal@...> wrote:

                      > Wow, very nice!
                      >
                      > Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?
                      >

                      > Allen
                      >

                      > HI Gang:
                      >
                      > I got up in the wee hours and got out with my SAC 7 web/ccd cam and
                      > the
                      > good,
                      > old Ultima C8 for my first run at Saturn this year. Haze and below
                      > par
                      > seeing
                      > kept me from really pumping up the image scale, but I'm happy with
                      > what I
                      > brought back:
                      >
                      > http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm
                      >
                      > This was shot without an IR block filter, was acquired with K3CCD
                      > Tools, and
                      > was processed with Registax. I used Paint Shop Pro to adjust the
                      > color
                      > balance, but that was it.
                      >
                      > I gave Venus a try, too, but she looked like an amoeba on the monitor
                      > screen,
                      > so I gave up as dawn was breaking.. ;-)
                      >
                      > Peace,
                      > Rod Mollise
                      > Author of _Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope_
                      > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
                      > Like SCTs and MCTs? Sign up for SCT User, the mailing list for CAT
                      > fanciers
                      > at the url above.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • digidodi
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Ahum... That is still a long way from Encke division, sorry to say.
                        Encke division is a very thin line along the outer edge of the A
                        ring. What you see is a by processing contrast boosted albedo
                        difference between the inner and outer parts of the A ring.

                        At least twice the size of this image is needed to start detecting
                        the Encke division.

                        Kind regards,

                        Dodi

                        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, John Mahony <jmmahony@y...> wrote:
                        > And Encke's division.
                        > -John
                        >
                        > --- Allen Ball <mistal@b...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Wow, very nice!
                        > >
                        > > Did I see 2 ovals in the equatorial band?
                        > >

                        > > Allen

                        .com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 4, 2004
                          If they're like the ovals on Jupiter, they'll be there for a while.
                          Saturn rotates on its axis in only about 10 hours, so you can see a
                          good chunk of the "surface" in just one night if you keep looking. But
                          right now it rises late and doesn't get above the trubulence until the
                          last hour or two of the night.

                          -John

                          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                            CCD users may benefit from the haze when imaging planets, because some
                            CCD cameras can't do exposures short enough to avoid saturating when
                            aimed at bright planets. Webcams can do much shorter exposures, and
                            would benefit when the air is clearer, because that would allow the
                            shortest possible exposures, to "freeze" the seeing. But haze (more
                            specifically, humidity) has another benefit: water vapor has a high
                            heat capacity, so humid air cools much more slowly after sunset than
                            dry air. Water vapor is also a greenhouse gas, absorbing infrared from
                            the ground at night, so it cools even more slowly. That way it comes
                            closer to matching the slow rate of ground cooling, so you don't get
                            pockets of warm air rising from the ground through cooler air above,
                            which is a main cause of bad seeing.

                            And it can get even better: wait until it gets foggy (stop laughing!)
                            The best seeing I've ever seen was on the night of the great Leonid
                            meteor storm of 2001, which was not so great here because it got foggy.
                            Visitors at our local observatory gave up around midnight due to the
                            fog, but it was a ground fog, still clear if you looked straight up.
                            The peak of the storm wasn't expected until near morning, so I decided
                            to kill some time looking at Jupiter, which was nearly at the zenith.
                            I was using our 16" Newtonian, and my eyeballs almost popped out! The
                            fog acted like a giant thermal blanket over the ground, smoothing out
                            all the local ground temperature variations, so the air above was
                            incredibly stable. I cranked the scope up to 600X, and just stared at
                            all the very fine detail visible on Jupiter that night.

                            -John

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                              Thanks John, that was what he said also, maybe I was talking to you
                              and didnt know it :))

                              Ron

                              ---------------------------------------->

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 5, 2004
                                In a message dated 10/5/2004 2:13:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "digidodi" <ddierick@...> writes:

                                >Ahum... That is still a long way from Encke division, sorry to say.
                                >Encke division is a very thin line along the outer edge of the A
                                >ring. What you see is a by processing contrast boosted albedo
                                >difference between the inner and outer parts of the A ring.
                                >
                                >At least twice the size of this image is needed to start detecting
                                >the Encke division.

                                Hi:

                                Actually, my guess is "neither." It's not the Encke, but is, likely, the brightness variation in that position.