Re: [sct-user] Quality Eyepieces

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
      Rob,

      I used to own a 10mm Radian for planetary work in my 8" SCT. I'm
      guessing you'll be using for the same prupose. I bought it for the eye
      relief. Fabulous eyepiece, but not the best for planets IMO. I found
      that a 20mm Plossl and quality 2x barlow provided just as good contrast
      and sharpness without the 'halo' that my Radian exhibited. YMMV.

      Cheers,
      Mark

      >>From: Rob Schooley <imbrium004@...>
      >>
      >>I wanted to get a new eyepiece for my C8-S. For instance, I am looking at
      >>the 10mm Radian from TeleVue, which costs about $240. On the other hand,
      >>there is the Celestron 10mm Ultima which costs about $80. Is the cost
      >>indicative of the eyepiece quality? Also, are there any other 10mm
      >>eyepieces worth looking at?

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 0402-4, 02/28/2004
      Tested on: 1/03/2004 7:05:45 PM
    • Thad Floryan
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, reef1969@a... wrote:
        > I have the Naglers, love them, I have owned the SWA, Pentax XL's,
        > Radians,
        > and just about everything else. The good ole plossl is what works
        > when you have
        > a good optic, and are viewing the planets. I will not sell my 13mm
        > Type 6,
        > but if I am looking for low constrast detail on Jupiter, give me a
        > 12.5mm
        > Celestron Ultima, or a 13mm TV Plossl.

        I've over US$10,000 in eyepieces I've "collected" over the decades,
        often buying complete sets for US$2,000+ at a time, and I don't have
        a single TeleVue EP; my overall favorites are the Pentax XL, yet I've
        found the (relatively) inexpexsive Orthos I bought from Hutech awhile
        back are truly superb for planetary use even with their (relatively)
        short eye relief.

        This is not to imply I have anything against Televue's EPs (as I've
        viewed through a number of them), but I've never had any compelling
        reason to buy any of them, probably because I have only one "fast"
        scope (f/4.7) [and because there are no local dealers selling TeleVue
        stuff with the possible exception of Scope City in San Francisco whose
        parking situation is "not pleasant" (on weekends)]*.

        In the past several years I've also found the Speers-WALERs (esp. the
        10mm) to be among those I use most often on all my scopes (and, yes,
        I've a bunch, not just SCTs, with yet another SCT coming in a few wks)

        *FOOTNOTE: there are a dearth of astronomy stores in the SF Bay Area.
        Discovery Stores don't count, and Lumicon (Livermore (45 miles away))
        went belly up though they resurfaced as a division of Parks Optical.
        The only other store is Orion's in Cupertino, and they do sell their
        branded version of Vixen's Lanthanums (both styles). It would be
        (VERY) nice if Anacortes, OPT, et al opened up stores in the SF Bay
        area -- they'd make billyuns and billyuns of bucks! :-)
      • Ted Kurkowski
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, reef1969@a... wrote:
          > Rob, the radian gives a wider FOV. The Celestron will be just as good
          > visually as the radian.

          Taking that one step farther, there is an advantage of a wider FOV EP
          in medium-to-shorter focal lengths. At those focal lengths you're
          trying to fit specific objects into the EP (say, specific galaxies or
          globulars). So it's sometimes better to think about a set of EPs with
          a range of FOV's rather than a range of focal lengths. For a specific
          _FOV_ you can get an inexpensive EP with a smaller AFOV and lower
          magnification, or a more expensive EP with a larger AFOV and higher
          magnification. The higher magnification will typically give you a
          better view of the object.

          So what I'm saying here is that folks end up with expensive (i.e. wide
          AFOV) EPs because they can see the same things, at higher
          magnification, than they could with a set of inexpensive EPs. To fit
          the same respective objects into a set of inexpensive EPs, those EPs
          will respectively have longer focal lengths and thus lower magnifications.

          Ted
        • Samir Kharusi
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
            IMHO eyepiece selection is more emotion than... Over the past 5
            years of owning a C8 I found that I actually ended up using only 2,
            a Nagler 7mm for planetary and a Celestron Ultima 35mm + 0.63
            reducer for wide. Add a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow and even your
            photo needs will be well catered for. IMHO this is a very sound,
            reasonably-priced high quality 4-piece package for both visual and
            imaging.
            35mm+0.63 reducer: I need the widest-possible field when I wish to
            go wide. For some reason it does not seem to be general knowledge
            that the Ultima 35mm provides the widest possible field in a 1.25"
            barrel, quality at a very reasonable price. The only way you can go
            wider is with 2" barrels (not C8 territory). For 2" barrels (i.e.
            the larger SCTs) the widest possible field can be obtained e.g. in a
            TV Panoptic 41mm (but at $495!).
            For planetary the Nagler 7mm provides just-right magnification with
            a C8 at f10 and it is very wide field, very handy for finding the
            planet when the little bugger strays off ;-) The 2x Barlow can be
            used just to convince yourself that it's futile to add
            magnification. And in any case it gives you a nice 17.5mm (actually
            rather useless option) when coupled to that 35mm. Similarly unused
            is the available option of the 7mm+0.63 reducer.
            The 2x Barlow is great for CCD and webcam planetary use, the Nagler
            is superb for eyepiece-projection (for some unknown reason I found
            it better than even the 5x TV Powermate) and the 0.63 reducer is
            obviously required for wider-field imaging. But hey, it took me
            years to narrow down to this 4-piece package and part of the hobby
            is to squander one's hard earned $ on what turn out to be unused
            toys ;-) Of course, others end up with another narrow set of
            regularly used toys...
            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Kurkowski" <tkurkowski@e...>
            wrote:
            > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, reef1969@a... wrote:
            > > Rob, the radian gives a wider FOV. The Celestron will be just
            as good
            > > visually as the radian.
            >
            > Taking that one step farther, there is an advantage of a wider FOV
            EP
            > in medium-to-shorter focal lengths.
          • Tom Meneghini
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
              Thad,

              I buy from Anacortes regualarly and use the UPS man to do the driving.
              Anacortes does not charge CA sales tax and that is usually enough to
              offset the shipping charges.

              Best regards,
              Tom in So. Cal

              It would be (VERY) nice if Anacortes, OPT, et al opened up stores in
              the SF Bay
              area -- they'd make billyuns and billyuns of bucks! :-)

            • ion_op
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
                --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Samir Kharusi" <samirkharusi@h...>
                wrote:
                For some reason it does not seem to be general knowledge
                > that the Ultima 35mm provides the widest possible field in a 1.25"
                > barrel, quality at a very reasonable price. The only way you can go
                > wider is with 2" barrels (not C8 territory). For 2" barrels (i.e.
                > the larger SCTs) the widest possible field can be obtained e.g. in
                > TV Panoptic 41mm (but at $495!).

                Hi,

                I have an Orange-tube C8 with the original Kelner eyepieces and
                diagonal that I wish to upgrade. Would it be better to spend my money
                on the Ultima 35mm and a new good 1.25" diagonal instead of a WO 2"
                diagonal and say an Orion 35/40mm 2" optulux? I wear glasses so I'm
                not sure what to get for medium/high power views but I've been
                looking at UO ortho's.

                Mike
              • Thad Floryan
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2004
                  --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Meneghini" <t.tamen@v...> wrote:
                  > Thad,
                  >
                  > I buy from Anacortes regualarly and use the UPS man to do the
                  driving.
                  > Anacortes does not charge CA sales tax and that is usually enough to
                  > offset the shipping charges.

                  I buy from Anacortes, too, but I like to see, touch and feel what I
                  buy beforehand (but it doesn't have to be at the dealer's :-).

                  As regards sales tax, what you wrote is true except for large scopes
                  manufactured in California that need to be drop-shipped within
                  California (i.e., Meade 14" LX200GPS, and possibly similar-sized from
                  Celestron).
                • ion_op
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
                    --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "ion_op" <ion_op@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Samir Kharusi" <samirkharusi@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > For some reason it does not seem to be general knowledge
                    > > that the Ultima 35mm provides the widest possible field in a 1.25"
                    > > barrel, quality at a very reasonable price. The only way you can go
                    > > wider is with 2" barrels (not C8 territory). For 2" barrels (i.e.
                    > > the larger SCTs) the widest possible field can be obtained e.g. in
                    > > TV Panoptic 41mm (but at $495!).
                    >
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I have an Orange-tube C8 with the original Kelner eyepieces and
                    > diagonal that I wish to upgrade. Would it be better to spend my money
                    > on the Ultima 35mm and a new good 1.25" diagonal instead of a WO 2"
                    > diagonal and say an Orion 35/40mm 2" optulux? I wear glasses so I'm
                    > not sure what to get for medium/high power views but I've been
                    > looking at UO ortho's.
                    >
                    > Mike

                    I should ad that I'm also looking at the Vixen LSW eyepieces for
                    med/high power viewing. Has anyone tried them? Is it really worth
                    getting 2" eyepieces with a C8?
                  • mainenebula
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2004
                      SNIP
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I have an Orange-tube C8 with the original Kelner eyepieces and
                      > diagonal that I wish to upgrade. Would it be better to spend my
                      >money on the Ultima 35mm and a new good 1.25" diagonal instead of
                      > a WO 2" diagonal and say an Orion 35/40mm 2" optulux? I wear
                      >glasses so I'm not sure what to get for medium/high power views
                      > but I've been looking at UO ortho's.
                      >
                      > Mike

                      Mike -

                      FWIW I found the 2" diag on my old 8" Meade did not do much to
                      improve the view. The 8" has a smaller baffle than the larger SCTs
                      which restricts the light cone. If you need to know more about this
                      there are many threads in the archives. It did improve the
                      experience in that the diag is longer so my head was further away
                      from the scope and, for me, the extra glass in the 2" eyepieces just
                      does something to enhance the view. My N11 is an entirely different
                      story. I notice a big difference with the 2" there.

                      Anyway you will not go wrong with either the 1.25" or 2" diag. Both
                      will perform well. As for the UOs I do not wear glasses but find my
                      eye is pretty well mashed against the 12mm and smaller eyepieces
                      that I have used. The Meade SWA 18 or 13 are good economy pieces if
                      found used on Astromart. Otherwise the Naglers are my favorite but
                      pricey.

                      Dan in Maine
                    • Richard Darn
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 3, 2004
                        > I should ad that I'm also looking at the Vixen LSW eyepieces for
                        > med/high power viewing. Has anyone tried them? Is it really worth> getting
                        2" eyepieces with a C8?

                        Mike
                        Vixen superwides are in fact 1.25" eyepieces - but with a barrel design
                        which allows them to be used in 2" diagonals without using an adapter. I've
                        got two sizes - the 22mm and 17mm - the former was the workhorse of my C8,
                        before I upgraded to a C14. They are truly excellent eyepieces -
                        comfortable, good contrast and with a pleasing field of view. The 22mm gets
                        plenty of use in the C14 too, along with Panoptic and Radian eyepieces.

                        Rich
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 3, 2004
                          UO orthos are great planet EPs, but if you have astigmatism and need to wear
                          glasses, the eye relief may be too short at higher power. Buut you could
                          use a barlow with a lower power EP to get high power with longer eye relief.
                          -John

                          >From: "ion_op" <ion_op@...>
                          >
                          >--- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Samir Kharusi" <samirkharusi@h...>
                          >wrote:
                          > For some reason it does not seem to be general knowledge
                          > > that the Ultima 35mm provides the widest possible field in a 1.25"
                          > > barrel, quality at a very reasonable price. The only way you can go
                          > > wider is with 2" barrels (not C8 territory). For 2" barrels (i.e.
                          > > the larger SCTs) the widest possible field can be obtained e.g. in
                          > > TV Panoptic 41mm (but at $495!).
                          >
                          >Hi,
                          >
                          >I have an Orange-tube C8 with the original Kelner eyepieces and
                          >diagonal that I wish to upgrade. Would it be better to spend my money
                          >on the Ultima 35mm and a new good 1.25" diagonal instead of a WO 2"
                          >diagonal and say an Orion 35/40mm 2" optulux? I wear glasses so I'm
                          >not sure what to get for medium/high power views but I've been
                          >looking at UO ortho's.
                          >
                          >Mike
                          >

                          >Visit the sct-user home page at:
                          >

                          >http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Create a Job Alert on MSN Careers and enter for a chance to win $1000!
                          http://msn.careerbuilder.com/promo/kaday.htm?siteid=CBMSN_1K&sc_extcmp=JS_JASweep_MSNHotm2
                        • ion_op
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 3, 2004
                            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Darn" <mail@r...> wrote:

                            > > I should ad that I'm also looking at the Vixen LSW eyepieces for
                            > > med/high power viewing. Has anyone tried them? Is it really
                            worth> getting
                            > 2" eyepieces with a C8?
                            >

                            > Mike
                            > Vixen superwides are in fact 1.25" eyepieces - but with a barrel
                            design
                            > which allows them to be used in 2" diagonals without using an
                            adapter. I've
                            > got two sizes - the 22mm and 17mm - the former was the workhorse of
                            my C8,
                            > before I upgraded to a C14. They are truly excellent eyepieces -
                            > comfortable, good contrast and with a pleasing field of view. The
                            22mm gets
                            > plenty of use in the C14 too, along with Panoptic and Radian
                            eyepieces.

                            Hi Rich,

                            Tnx for the info on the Vixen superwides. I have not seen much
                            mentioned about them other than the Excelcis website and they gave
                            most of superwides good reviews. I joined a local astro club so with
                            the warmer weather I hope to try some eyepieces of interest before
                            taking the plunge. I wear eyeglasses and I believe I do have some
                            astigmatism so the superwides should be welcome. From my research I
                            should be able to use orthos at high mag. w/o glasses due to the
                            smaller exit pupil?

                            Mike

                            > Rich
                          • Bill Krause
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                              I am about a 45 minute drive drive from Anacortes so you can imagine
                              that I spend some time there. My experience is that now you are better
                              off dealing with them on the phone or the Internet. When the were
                              located in downtown Anacortes they were a real store and they treated
                              customers like, well they treated them like customers. A few years ago
                              they moved to a new location just outside of town and clearly
                              de-emphasize the walk-in crowd. They do have a showroom attached to the
                              warehouse and they do have retail hours, though somewhat less than those
                              of a traditional retail establishment. However if you walk in you are
                              clearly a lower priority for them. By this I mean the phones are their
                              priority. They do not have any sales help assigned to the retail
                              floor. This means that if one of their sales people isn't on the phone
                              they will come out and help you but often you can wait quite a while
                              before getting any help. If you catch things right away you might get
                              help right away, but my experience is that this doesn't happen very
                              often. Interestingly they do get a fair amount of traffic and have no
                              idea whether that traffic is there to ask a question about a $50
                              accessory or to buy a $2000+ scope as I was in December.

                              In contrast is Hardin Optical which also does a lot of business on the
                              internet and by phone and is located at Bandon, OR on the Central Oregon
                              Coast. My wife and I generally visit the Oregon Coast twice a year or
                              so. Hardin has a showroom that is significantly larger than Anacortes's
                              and they always have a couple of folks assign exclusively to the the
                              showroom floor. They also operate on a traditional retail schedule.
                              Clearly retail traffic is still part of their business plan and walk in
                              customers are made to feel welcomed

                              What all this means is that if you should happen to find yourself in the
                              Anacortes area a trip to the telescope shop should probably not be a
                              high priority or something you go out of your way to do. On the other
                              hand if you get to the Oregon Coast a trip to Bandon and Hardin Optical
                              is definitely worth your time. For me it means that if both places carry
                              the same item and it cost more than a couple hundred dollars I'll either
                              make the seven hour drive to Bandon or I'll wait for one of my regular
                              trips. A final word about Anacortes. I have bought a number of things
                              from them and have never had a problem with any of it so I'll continue
                              to be a regular customer of theirs, I just won't spend any money on gas
                              a visit to them.

                              Bill Krause

                              Thad Floryan wrote:

                              >--- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Meneghini" <t.tamen@v...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>Thad,
                              >>
                              >>I buy from Anacortes regualarly and use the UPS man to do the
                              >>

                              >driving.
                              >

                              >>Anacortes does not charge CA sales tax and that is usually enough to
                              >>offset the shipping charges.
                              >>

                              >I buy from Anacortes, too, but I like to see, touch and feel what I
                              >buy beforehand (but it doesn't have to be at the dealer's :-).
                              >
                              >As regards sales tax, what you wrote is true except for large scopes
                              >manufactured in California that need to be drop-shipped within
                              >California (i.e., Meade 14" LX200GPS, and possibly similar-sized from
                              >Celestron).
                              >

                              >Visit the sct-user home page at:
                              >

                              >http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • gnowellsct
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                I had this problem at Sears when buying a treadmill. One way to deal
                                with "getting attention" is to take your cell phone and give them a
                                call from the floor, and start asking detailed questions. You can
                                even tell them well, I'm looking at one of these right now, a friend
                                has one, and I'd like to know if....blah blah blah. Or you can let
                                on that you are, in fact, there in the store. As it is you are
                                likely to be in a scope store on the wkend and most cell phones have
                                practically unlimited wkend minutes, so this is one way to deal with
                                the electronic age. It's always nice to close, after all your
                                questions have been answered, "well I want to come on in and order
                                one of these. I'm in your showroom right now, and can be at the
                                register in ten seconds."

                                regards
                                Greg N

                                --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Bill Krause <bkrause@s...> wrote:
                                >This means that if one of their sales people isn't on the phone
                                > they will come out and help you but often you can wait quite a
                                while
                                > before getting any help. If you catch things right away you might
                                get
                                > help right away, but my experience is that this doesn't happen very
                                > often. Interestingly they do get a fair amount of traffic and have
                                no
                                > idea whether that traffic is there to ask a question about a $50
                                > accessory or to buy a $2000+ scope as I was in December.
                              • Dave Cole
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 7, 2004
                                  Hi Bill,

                                  I bought my scope from Harden Optical for that reason, I have never met a
                                  more friendly group of folks. I am just lucky they are three hours drive
                                  away for me. I have nothing to say but good for them!

                                  Thanks,
                                  Dave
                                  For Nexstar GPS tips, tricks, and general information about the NexstarGPS
                                  scopes visit http://www.nexstar11.com
                                  For free astronomy software visit www.nexstar11.com, select "Downloads".
                                  The UNOFFICIAL site for NexstarGPS information.
                                  All information is "In my opinion" and not to be taken as fact.