C-11 cooling fans

  • Janice Kreidel
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      Greetings...

      Slight problem with the fans. They *won't* run backwards :-(

      So it is off to the auto store to see about getting some gasket
      material as the fan that needs to go the other way for output was
      hitting the casting. In retrospect I think I will make gaskets for
      both so as to avoid any air leaks between the fan and the casting.

      I think I will also skip all the fancy filtering and just use the
      foam stuff it came with. Otherwise there is to much airflow
      restriction. Except for the RTMC most of the places I go are pretty
      dust free.

      Janice
    • Roth Ritter
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        >I think I will also skip all the fancy filtering and just use the
        >foam stuff it came with. Otherwise there is to much airflow
        >restriction. Except for the RTMC most of the places I go are pretty
        >dust free.
        >
        >Janice

        That's what I did. The foam inserts are porous enough to let the fan
        breathe freely yet traps anything you definitely don't want going in.
        I've been using these for 2 years now and didn't seen any dust
        accumulation on the primary when I had it open the other week. Sure
        it's not perfect; you need a HEPA type filter to be really confident,
        but with muffin-type fans that's just not practical.

        --

        Roth Ritter
        Astrophography: http://www.rothritter.com