Lenspen

  • smulliganuk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 1:04 AM
      Is it safe to clean the corrector on an sct with a lenspen? Im a bit
      worried about wiping away coatings. If not, what is the correct way?
      Is my concern about wiping off coatings valid? Same question goes for
      eyepieces as well. Thanks for any help.

      stuart
    • messier27
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 5:51 AM
        Stuart,

        The lens pen has been discussed at great length on several groups. As many
        people swear by them as swear at them. We tried one and seemed to spend as
        much time cleaning the black smudges of the eps that the lens pens left as
        we did cleaning with the lens pen...could have been an old pen, or operator
        error. Many have expressed concern over scratching the surface of the ep
        by debris left on the surface of the pen by repeatedly using the same
        surface to clean with.

        We use the 99% alcohol and distilled water with a drop of dish detergent
        and 100% cotton balls for cleaning.

        Personal preferences and concerns.

        John & Bobbie Hilliard

        "No sight is more provocative of awe than is the night sky."
        -Llewelyn Powys

        > Is it safe to clean the corrector on an sct with a lenspen? Im a bit
        > worried about wiping away coatings. If not, what is the correct way?
        > Is my concern about wiping off coatings valid? Same question goes for
        > eyepieces as well. Thanks for any help.
        >
        > stuart
        >

        > Visit the sct-user home page at:
        >

        > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

      • Chris Peterson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 7:03 AM
          Yes, a Lenspen is perfectly safe to use on your corrector, but even the largest size is really too small to use easily for that. I've been using Windex and tissue for years with no problems- the coatings on the corrector are very tough. The rules for cleaning reflective surfaces are quite different than the rules for AR coated glass.

          Chris Peterson
          http://www.cloudbait.com