Re: LUMICON's skyvector or JMI's ngc ??

  • tychounder
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2002
      Two years ago, I decided to add a DSC to my old Super Polaris C8. I
      almost waited too long, as there is almost no support left for this
      german mount scope. I got a custom made encoder kit from JMI, and it
      went right on and works great. But, at the time, the Lumicon computer
      was the least expensive of the Big Three, Orion, JMI, and Lumicon. As
      the guts of each were identical, I bought the Lumicon DSC computer.
      It was significantly cheaper, even paying California sales tax
      (ugh!), and shipping from both companies, I still saved money. I
      haven't priced them lately, but at the time, the difference was
      almost $100.

      The only difference is in the start-up display lines that scroll
      across the LED display. Each company has their own name displayed for
      a moment, but the way they work, and the catalog of items in memory
      is 100% identical.

      Pointing accuracy for mine is like comparing apples and oranges (GEM
      versus fork mount), but if I was careful setting the beast up, the
      object of my search was nearly always in the FOV of the stock
      Celestron 26mm Plossl that came with the scope.

      I don't use it anymore, as I have a new NexStar-11 GPS that I am
      completely satisfied with. I am debating what to do with the old
      SPC8. Right now, it is just disassembled and stored.

      Bob Oxley
      San Diego, CA
    • Chuck Hancock
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2002
        Bob-
        I am interested in putting 8192 step encoders on a GEM, the EQ3 (Orion,
        same as Celestron CG4). Are these the encoders you used for the Super
        Polaris?

        > Two years ago, I decided to add a DSC to my old Super Polaris C8. I
        > almost waited too long, as there is almost no support left for this
        > german mount scope. I got a custom made encoder kit from JMI, and it
        > went right on and works great. But, at the time, the Lumicon computer

        Best regards,
        Chuck Hancock DMD

        McDonough GA USA
      • tychounder
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2002
          The encoders themselves are the same as are used on just about any
          mount, fork, GEM, or Dob, or other oddball mounts. But the custom
          encoder mounting hardware I'm very sure is different. You can go to
          JMI's website and check out the listings for custom encoder kits, but
          I am quite sure that the kits are not interchangeable.

          The Super Polaris mount is the direct predecessor of the Great
          Polaris mount (GP) that is current production. The GP-DX is a beefed
          up Great Polaris. The GP drive motors are usable on the SP mount, but
          the designs are just enough different that I'm not sure about fitting
          my encoder kit on one of those, either.

          Bob Oxley