Re: [sct-user] Re: M31 this fuzzy?

  • Paul Sterngold
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      What does everyone here mean by "resolve?" I am able to see the core nicely
      in my C9.25 from my light polluted driveway, along with the glows of the
      two companions. From a semi-dark site (mag 5), I can detect the overall
      shape and see hints of the main dust lanes. From a dark site (mag 6+), the
      dust lanes are dramatic, and the arms extend amazing distances outward,
      well beyond the FOV in the C9.25. From a dark site, it's more enjoyable to
      view it in my 4" refractor, for the greater FOV.

      But as Rod pointed out, if you want to "fully resolve" it, i.e., see the
      HII regions or even individual stars, you're going to need some serious
      aperture, like 100"!

      Paul Sterngold

      --- Ken Abrahamson <jabraham@...> wrote:
      > I too find it fuzzy? How large a scope do you need to resolve this
      > object. I always blamed light polution. Many years ago I saw M31
      > through a 4" Unitron refractor and as I recall it was much better
      > resolved than my 8" Celestron. Maybe it was my first fiew of it or
      > maybe it was better transparency and seeing back then. I'm talking 45
      > years ago.
      >
      > clear skies,
      >
      > Ken

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • turgut kalfaoglu
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
        (Leaving room for our annoying ads)

        What I meant by "fuzzy" was that, I could NOT tell if M31 was a round blob,
        or an elongated one, like it should be.. I DID see a "bright" center, of course,
        and blurriness around it. -turgut

        ------------
        EgeNet Internet Services: http://www.egenet.com.tr
        Find all of Turkey online: http://find.egenet.com.tr
      • Bill Faatz
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
          > --- Ken Abrahamson <jabraham@a...> wrote:
          > > I too find it fuzzy? How large a scope do you need to resolve
          this
          > > object. I always blamed light polution. Many years ago I saw M31
          > > through a 4" Unitron refractor and as I recall it was much better
          > > resolved than my 8" Celestron. Maybe it was my first fiew of it
          or
          > > maybe it was better transparency and seeing back then. I'm
          talking 45
          > > years ago.
          > >
          > > clear skies,
          > >
          > > Ken

          Not to mention your eyes were 45 years younger (I can relate to that)

          CS....Bill
        • Karl Taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
            Delurking to comment,

            I've always been unimpressed with the view of M31 through my C8 unless under very dark skies. My favorite view of M31 is with my 80mm F5 at 16x to 25x. Under dark skies it is amazing how extended the arms are.
            Just thought I'd share.

            KMT
            My Groups | sct-user Main Page | Start a new group!

            > --- Ken Abrahamson <jabraham@a...> wrote:
            > > I too find it fuzzy? How large a scope do you need to resolve
            this
            > > object. I always blamed light polution. Many years ago I saw M31
            > > through a 4" Unitron refractor and as I recall it was much better
            > > resolved than my 8" Celestron. Maybe it was my first fiew of it
            or
            > > maybe it was better transparency and seeing back then. I'm
            talking 45
            > > years ago.
            > >
            > > clear skies,
            > >
            > > Ken

            Not to mention your eyes were 45 years younger (I can relate to that)

            CS....Bill

            Visit the sct-user home page at:

            http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

          • sdwilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2000
              Karl Taylor wrote:

              >My favorite view of M31 is with my 80mm F5 at 16x to 25x. Under dark
              >skies it is amazing how extended the arms are.

              FWIW, my best view was while backpacking deep in the Rockies about a
              month ago: M31 was plain and big (2*?). No scope needed.

              Scott