What design of eyepiece

  • andy_brown_895
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 10:01 AM
      is "best" for high power airy disk type collimation work do ya all think?

      note design ;)

      cheers folks.

      Andy B
    • Wally Lucas
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 10:10 AM
        Plossl or a UO Ortho...

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 11:11 AM
          A high power eyepiece. Anything will work from a Kellner to a Nagler. You
          just want to pour on plenty of power. An eyepiece with a decent amount of
          eyerelief is best--or you can barlow a longer focal length one.

          Uncle Rod Mollise
          Contributing Editor Sky and Telescope Magazine
          Uncle Rod's Astroblog:
          <http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 6:51 PM
            For planets (which would be a similar high power narrow field use), you don't need a wide field, so orthoscopics are an old standard.  Their minimal design (something like 3 or 4 elements) reduces scattered light for better contrast.  The FOV is small by today's standards.

            I don't think you really need a special EP just for collimation, however.  Just crank the power up until the diffraction rings are easy to see, or until the blurring turbulence of your local seeing is obvious, whichever comes first.