secondary mirror on my C-8 rotates??

  • ktaylor807@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2011
      I was trying to collinate my C-8 last evening and noticed that the secondary mirror rotates in the collector lens.
      I am not sure way to go to get info about gettint this tight agaqin.
      Ken
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2011
        That's "corrector" lens. What is rotating? The whole secondary assembly?

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        Rod's new book:
        _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
        Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:

        http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2011
          Hi Ken,

          This very thing happened on my Meade LX200-ACF 8" last month.

          Short story - I ended up going the Dr Clay Supercharge route. No regrets on that front.

          I made a post about this at CloudyNights and got in contact with Dr Clay. He told me this was somewhat common on Meades. I learned that the secondary housing is two pieces that thread together thru the corrector. He explained to me that on the Meade scopes there are supposed to be two "half-moon", thin, rubber-like "gaskets" that are intended to be the friction-lock of the two secondary housing pieces. He told me that he's seen a lot of times where there is either none or just one and that over time the secondary housing assembly will come loose.

          You'll need to remove the corrector and synch down the housing taking great care not to over-tighten or smudge your corrector and then replace. Then collimate.

          My stones are not yet large enough for me to attempt that so off to Dr Clay my scope went. Came back better than factory! :)

          -Jim

          On May 1, 2011, at 6:14 AM, ktaylor807@... wrote:

          > I was trying to collinate my C-8 last evening and noticed that the secondary mirror rotates in the collector lens.
          > I am not sure way to go to get info about gettint this tight agaqin.
          > Ken

        • ancient.sull
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2011
            And do you have FASTAR capability? (You don't need to be using FASTAR, just to have a FASTAR capable SCT).

            Sometimes the entire FASTAR assembly (the plastic ring that contains the secondary when you aren't doing FASTAR and which contains the FASTAR lens when you are) is loose in the corrector lens and can rotate.

            Drew S.

            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

            > That's "corrector" lens. What is rotating? The whole secondary assembly?
            >

            > Peace,
            > Rod Mollise
            > Rod's new book:
            > _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
            > Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:
            >
            > http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

          • Oshb5
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2011
              Hi

              This posses you a slight problem because there is a line on the back of the actual secondary and it has to point directly to the serial number on the corrector plate. (And believe me the serial number is very small and hard to find Well it was on my Classic 8") As for the corrector I think it should be to the left hand. (dont quote me on the corrector position) But it should be held fast so just mark it with coloured sticky tape so you can put it back in the right place after you have realigned the secondary?

              Andy

              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, ktaylor807@... wrote:

              > I was trying to collinate my C-8 last evening and noticed that the secondary mirror rotates in the collector lens.
              > I am not sure way to go to get info about gettint this tight agaqin.
              > Ken

            • andy
              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, ktaylor807@... wrote:

                > I was trying to collinate my C-8 last evening and noticed that the secondary mirror rotates in the collector lens.
                > I am not sure way to go to get info about gettint this tight agaqin.
                > Ken

                All you ever want to know and a good deal more I guess.....I reserched this lot BEFORE cleaning the inside of my corrector, just remember that there is one way for the optics to line up to give the best results.... :)

                Quote....

                "IMPORTANT: If there are no marks found when removing the retaining ring, secondary cell, and secondary mirror and its support plate, mark everything carefully BEFORE removing it so the orientation of corrector-secondary-primary can be successfully reconstructed upon reassembly."

                http://www.ngc1514.com/Celestron/disassem.htm

                http://downloads.celestron.com/filedownloads/Demounting%20Optics.pdf

                http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1655&nav=0,214

                http://astroshed.com/observatory/c11saga/c11saga.htm
              • andy
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                  Sorry I forget this link too

                  http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/astrodesigns/mapug/Collimn1.htm#rotatingsecondary

                  And.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                    > ... I learned that the secondary housing is two pieces that thread together
                    >thru the corrector. He explained to me that on the Meade scopes there are
                    >supposed to be two "half-moon", thin, rubber-like "gaskets" that are intended
                    >to be the friction-lock of the two secondary housing pieces. He told me that
                    >he's seen a lot of times where there is either none or just one and that over
                    >time the secondary housing assembly will come loose.
                    >
                    > You'll need to remove the corrector and synch down the housing taking great
                    >care not to over-tighten or smudge your corrector and then replace. Then
                    >collimate.
                    >
                    > My stones are not yet large enough for me to attempt that so off to Dr Clay
                    >my scope went. Came back better than factory! :)

                    Removing the corrector to tighten the sec holder/sec baffle connection is easy.
                    Strap on a pair and read
                    <http://www.mapug-astronomy.net/ccdastro/corrector.htm>. That should ease your
                    fears.

                    But the hard part is you need to find the rotation index mark on the sec and
                    make sure it ends up in the correct direction as you tighten the parts together.

                    -John
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                      You might want to try this quick fix before doing anything drastic. I'm assuming that the entire secondary assembly rotates on the corrector plate. Just grab the secondary holder, twist quickly counterclockwise about a 1/4 turn and then quickly back clockwise. Try this several times until the threads grab. You'll feel it get tight. Then try to align the word Celestron horizontally. I did this when I received my CPC800 (used). Has come loose again once in the past 2 years. When loose, you cannot collimate.

                      Jeff