This is very COOL!! - it is about the Space Station and it's expansion

  • ktaylor807
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
      Guys look at this.
      I did not realize the size of the station.

      Space Station
      Look at what happened from 1998 until 2008. In just ten years it has grown and grown. Watch the pieces come together as they are sent up from Earth. This is the International Space Station (ISS) Assembly diagram, piece by piece. I had no idea the Space Station had grown to this size. This is really cool.....

      Http://i.usatody.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm
    • thad_floryan
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "ktaylor807" <ktaylor807@...> wrote:
        > [...]

        The correct URL is:

        <http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm>
      • Ray Stann
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
          Very big, and very cool, but what's it used for?

          Ray

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "thad_floryan" <thad@...> wrote:

            > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "ktaylor807" <ktaylor807@> wrote:
            > > [...]
            >
            > The correct URL is:
            >
            > <http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm>

            And if anyone wants a personal copy it, use the same URL but change
            "flash.htm" to "flash.swf".

            Here's how I copied it (surprisingly, it's only 420KB):

            REGULUS bash 1/1792> wget http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.swf
            --2011-02-04 07:35:42-- http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.swf
            Resolving i.usatoday.net (i.usatoday.net)... 184.84.222.51, 184.84.222.83
            Connecting to i.usatoday.net (i.usatoday.net)|184.84.222.51|:80... connected.
            Length: 429191 (419K) [application/x-shockwave-flash]
            Saving to: `flash.swf'

            100%[==============================>] 429,191 1.67M/s in 0.2s

            2011-02-04 07:35:42 (1.67 MB/s) - `flash.swf' saved [429191/429191]

            REGULUS bash 1/1792> mv flash.swf ISS_assembly.swf
            REGULUS bash 1/1792> ll ISS*
            -rw-r--r-- 1 thad staff 429191 Feb 24 2010 ISS_assembly.swf
          • thad_floryan
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Stann" <raystann@...> wrote:

> [...]

              Good question. Your guess is as good as mine.
            • tomw@icss.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                Come on guys! It is used for a lot of experiments, proof of concept, etc. We, as astronomers, should understand that it returns new ideas, electronics, etc! If we don't support then why would any one want to support our endeavors?

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                  The ONE thing that has definitely been proven is that mankind cannot do
                  long-duration(without dire consequences) space travel in free-fall.
                  There is still no definite mission for ISS, however.
                  It, like the Shuttle program, is beyond question a major technological and
                  engineering accomplishment.
                  Like the Shuttle it is a near miss.
                  Both have much less capability than was originally envisioned by the people that
                  designed them initially.
                  This is, of course, due to the penurous bean cutters in Congress. These are
                  visionless, technically ignorant people.
                  NASA is going to have to start saying no to these guys when Congress wants to
                  cut programs to the level of being more dangerous than they inherently are

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Sorry.
                    Due to my technical ignorance, I inadvertently sent the message without proper
                    sign-off.
                    Clear Skies!
                    Tom

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                      not the space station we in the '60s envisioned as kids....  but it's something to see...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Astroseeker52 <astroseeker52@...> wrote:
                        >> --- On Fri, 2/4/11, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
                        >> [...]
                        >> The correct URL is:
                        >>
                        >> <http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm>
                        >
                        > not the space station we in the '60s envisioned as kids ... but
                        > it's something to see...

                        The "'60s"?

                        Here's what I expected to see back in the 1950s: a station in orbit
                        around the Earth and a manned trip to Mars:

                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_1.png> station & transport
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_2.png> transport & station
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_3.png> Mars deorbiting
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_4.png> entering atmosphere
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_5.png> flying
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_6.png> preparing to land
                        <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_7.png> landing

                        I captured the above stills from the 1955 movie CONQUEST OF SPACE;
                        info here: <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047947/>. Not mentioned at
                        the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) is this movie was one of the first
                        widescreen movies at 1.85:1 thanks to George Pal, the producer.

                        I sat alongside the technical consultant for that movie at one of its
                        premieres as I wrote here twice before:

                        :-)
                      • Ray Stann
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                          Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

                          Ray

                          > not the space station we in the '60s envisioned as kids ... but
                          > it's something to see...

                          The "'60s"?

                          Here's what I expected to see back in the 1950s: a station in orbit
                          around the Earth and a manned trip to Mars:

                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_1.png> station & transport
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_2.png> transport & station
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_3.png> Mars deorbiting
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_4.png> entering atmosphere
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_5.png> flying
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_6.png> preparing to land
                          <http://thadlabs.com/PIX/Conquest_of_Space_7.png> landing

                          I captured the above stills from the 1955 movie CONQUEST OF SPACE;
                          info here: <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047947/>. Not mentioned at
                          the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) is this movie was one of the first
                          widescreen movies at 1.85:1 thanks to George Pal, the producer.

                          I sat alongside the technical consultant for that movie at one of its
                          premieres as I wrote here twice before:

                          :-)

                        • leotaylor2
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                            --- "ktaylor807" wrote:

                            > Guys look at this.
                            > I did not realize the size of the station.

                            Those of use who image the ISS with our SCTs notice it getting bigger and brighter every year or so. New solar panels keep appearing in our images.

                            Meade 2080 8 inch OTA (circa 1985) with ToUcam in Aug 2010:

                            http://astrophotoleo.com/satellite/iss20.jpg

                            Meade 2080 8 inch OTA (circa 1985) with Pentax DSLR in Mar 2009:

                            http://astrophotoleo.com/satellite/iss16l.jpg

                            It was also noticeable by amateur imagers when one solar panel was stuck for awhile and either was either not visible or a different color.

                            One of the few things we image that changes!

                            Leo Taylor
                          • Marc 70
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2011
                              Can you tell me how you took these pictures?
                              I'm still new to this, and the ISS moves quite qickly through the sky, so I was wondering, do I just have to get a lock on it and take a pic, or do I have to have the motor drive thing to follow it and take a long term exposure photograph?
                              Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm quite the noob.
                              Marc

                              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "leotaylor2" <leotaylor@...> wrote:

                              > --- "ktaylor807" wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Guys look at this.
                              > > I did not realize the size of the station.
                              > >

                              > Those of use who image the ISS with our SCTs notice it getting bigger and brighter every year or so. New solar panels keep appearing in our images.
                              >
                              > Meade 2080 8 inch OTA (circa 1985) with ToUcam in Aug 2010:
                              >
                              > http://astrophotoleo.com/satellite/iss20.jpg
                              >
                              > Meade 2080 8 inch OTA (circa 1985) with Pentax DSLR in Mar 2009:
                              >
                              > http://astrophotoleo.com/satellite/iss16l.jpg
                              >
                              > It was also noticeable by amateur imagers when one solar panel was stuck for awhile and either was either not visible or a different color.
                              >
                              > One of the few things we image that changes!
                              >
                              > Leo Taylor

                            • leotaylor2
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 6, 2011
                                --- "Marc 70" wrote:

                                > Can you tell me how you took these pictures?

                                If Rob will let me drift off topic this is about an SCT. <G>

                                In a nutshell...

                                I joined the Satellite Tracker Yahoo Group a few years ago which has free software to track satellites. It requires a GOTO scope, and works best with the LX200 Classic mount on which my 2080 OTA is mounted. Definitely not long exposure, most of us use web cams and exposures from 1-10 milliseconds. The scope follows the ISS (albeit a bit jerky) and the short exposure captures some good frames.

                                All is not lost if you don't have GOTO. Many good photos are taken by others who grab the SCT firmly and manually follow the ISS while looking through the finder. I use the 2080's 2000 mm natural focal length, some have larger OTAs or use a Barlow to get a bit larger image size at the expense of more difficult tracking.

                                It takes some practice. I'm proud of my one night I captured a Space Shuttle docked, unfortunately with the black underbelly facing Earth. But you can see the delta shape!

                                Leo Taylor
                              • Rod Mollise
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 6, 2011
                                  Who's Rob? Sorry...one of my PET PEEVES. LOL.

                                  Peace,
                                  Rod Mollise
                                  Rod's new book:
                                  _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
                                  Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:

                                  http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/