M1 in narrowband on a non Edge C14

  • Dalton Wilson
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2010
      Here is my attempt at M1

      CGE Pro mount and a regular non Edge C14

      R=60%Ha+40% Sii

      G=Oiii

      B=50%Ha+50%Oiii

      All subs binned 2x2 and 900sec duration using a QSI540ws with Astrodon 5nm
      filters thru a C14 0.63 FF/FR ~F7.5

      I am in the learning process of how to narrowband and process them

      I have played with the spacing for the FF/FR and the QSI camera to try and
      find the sweet spot

      I am having a steep learning curve on Narrow banding and star color

      Posted at

      http://astrodew.zenfolio.com/p387382989/e307b641e

      Thanks for looking

      Dalton Wilson

      _____

    • Gregg
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
        Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.

        Gregg Hill

        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <greggmhill@...> wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > On 10/17/10, I bought a Celestron CG-5GT mount and an ADM dovetail mount (AA-MDB-C8) from OPT for my 1977 orange tube C8. I have been trying to learn the mount, and one thing I noticed is that when I do my polar alignment, even though the axis of the mount is pointing close to Polaris, the scope itself is always a bit off. I just checked again, and I can see the offset with it in my living room, with the scope's axis pointing slightly to the left of the mount's axis. It wasn't enough to notice in the dark but it is fairly obvious in daylight.
        >
        > I took a close look at the dovetail mount, and it is not straight in line with the optical axis of the scope. If I remove the rear screw and make the bar align at 90 degrees to the front and rear cells (and thus straight down the tube's axis), it does look as though the scope is in line with the mount's axis. Even with the slots in the "radius blocks" that go on the scope, there is not enough play to move it the ¼" that I need. I just figured that out, so I haven't had a night to check it yet.
        >
        > So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
        >
        > Also, the curvature of the radius blocks that go on the front and rear cells is just slightly less than the curvature of the scope (the center touches, and there is a small gap at each end). I don't know how close it should be.
        >
        > Does anyone have an old C8 with a dovetail bar on it to compare the alignment?
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Gregg Hill

      • William Hamblen
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
          The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
          vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
          the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
          actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
          block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
          telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
          If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.

          Bud

          On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:

          > Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.
          >
          > Gregg Hill
          >

          > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <greggmhill@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello!
          >>
          >> On 10/17/10, I bought a Celestron CG-5GT mount and an ADM dovetail mount (AA-MDB-C8) from OPT for my 1977 orange tube C8. I have been trying to learn the mount, and one thing I noticed is that when I do my polar alignment, even though the axis of the mount is pointing close to Polaris, the scope itself is always a bit off. I just checked again, and I can see the offset with it in my living room, with the scope's axis pointing slightly to the left of the mount's axis. It wasn't enough to notice in the dark but it is fairly obvious in daylight.
          >>
          >> I took a close look at the dovetail mount, and it is not straight in line with the optical axis of the scope. If I remove the rear screw and make the bar align at 90 degrees to the front and rear cells (and thus straight down the tube's axis), it does look as though the scope is in line with the mount's axis. Even with the slots in the "radius blocks" that go on the scope, there is not enough play to move it the ¼" that I need. I just figured that out, so I haven't had a night to check it yet.
          >>
          >> So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
          >>
          >> Also, the curvature of the radius blocks that go on the front and rear cells is just slightly less than the curvature of the scope (the center touches, and there is a small gap at each end). I don't know how close it should be.
          >>
          >> Does anyone have an old C8 with a dovetail bar on it to compare the alignment?
          >>
          >> Thank you!
          >>
          >> Gregg Hill

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
            It might be worth people measuring the circumference or diameter of their scopes and posting the results. That would give an indication if the scope has changed size.

            A difference of 1/16" over half the width of the radius block seems like a lot so my guess is that it's the wrong block, one for a bigger scope, that found it's way into the wrong bag.

            I'm sure that OPT and/or ADM will help.

            The tilt of the optical axis relative to the Dec axis is the cone error that the calibration stars are supposed to correct for.

            Chris

            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@...> wrote:

            > The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
            > vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
            > the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
            > actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
            > block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
            > telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
            > If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
            >
            > Bud
            >
            > On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
            >
            > > Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.
            > >
            > > Gregg Hill
            > >

            > > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <greggmhill@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Hello!
            > >>
            > >> On 10/17/10, I bought a Celestron CG-5GT mount and an ADM dovetail mount (AA-MDB-C8) from OPT for my 1977 orange tube C8. I have been trying to learn the mount, and one thing I noticed is that when I do my polar alignment, even though the axis of the mount is pointing close to Polaris, the scope itself is always a bit off. I just checked again, and I can see the offset with it in my living room, with the scope's axis pointing slightly to the left of the mount's axis. It wasn't enough to notice in the dark but it is fairly obvious in daylight.
            > >>
            > >> I took a close look at the dovetail mount, and it is not straight in line with the optical axis of the scope. If I remove the rear screw and make the bar align at 90 degrees to the front and rear cells (and thus straight down the tube's axis), it does look as though the scope is in line with the mount's axis. Even with the slots in the "radius blocks" that go on the scope, there is not enough play to move it the ¼" that I need. I just figured that out, so I haven't had a night to check it yet.
            > >>
            > >> So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
            > >>
            > >> Also, the curvature of the radius blocks that go on the front and rear cells is just slightly less than the curvature of the scope (the center touches, and there is a small gap at each end). I don't know how close it should be.
            > >>
            > >> Does anyone have an old C8 with a dovetail bar on it to compare the alignment?
            > >>
            > >> Thank you!
            > >>
            > >> Gregg Hill

          • Gregg
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
              True, I could go to that extent, but I would still have a dovetail that is not in line with the optical axis of the scope. That question remains unanswered: So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?

              Then again, the scope could have been mis-built with the rear cell screw holes not lining up with the front cell screw. I'm going to check that now.

              I think I know the answer, and I will find out tonight when I meet with some OCA members at the OCA GoTo SIG in Anaheim, CA. I will bring the scope and new mount.

              Gregg Hill

              --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@...> wrote:

              > The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
              > vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
              > the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
              > actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
              > block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
              > telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
              > If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
              >
              > Bud
              >
              > On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
              >
              > > Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.
              > >
              > > Gregg Hill
              > >

              > > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg" <greggmhill@> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Hello!
              > >>
              > >> On 10/17/10, I bought a Celestron CG-5GT mount and an ADM dovetail mount (AA-MDB-C8) from OPT for my 1977 orange tube C8. I have been trying to learn the mount, and one thing I noticed is that when I do my polar alignment, even though the axis of the mount is pointing close to Polaris, the scope itself is always a bit off. I just checked again, and I can see the offset with it in my living room, with the scope's axis pointing slightly to the left of the mount's axis. It wasn't enough to notice in the dark but it is fairly obvious in daylight.
              > >>
              > >> I took a close look at the dovetail mount, and it is not straight in line with the optical axis of the scope. If I remove the rear screw and make the bar align at 90 degrees to the front and rear cells (and thus straight down the tube's axis), it does look as though the scope is in line with the mount's axis. Even with the slots in the "radius blocks" that go on the scope, there is not enough play to move it the ¼" that I need. I just figured that out, so I haven't had a night to check it yet.
              > >>
              > >> So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
              > >>
              > >> Also, the curvature of the radius blocks that go on the front and rear cells is just slightly less than the curvature of the scope (the center touches, and there is a small gap at each end). I don't know how close it should be.
              > >>
              > >> Does anyone have an old C8 with a dovetail bar on it to compare the alignment?
              > >>
              > >> Thank you!
              > >>
              > >> Gregg Hill

            • William Hamblen
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                An error in pitch (up-down) would need to be shimmed out. An error in yaw
                (left-right) can be dealt with by resetting the declination setting
                circle. You don't want the telescope to rock in the rear radius block.
                Two washers between the rear cell and the radius block will take out the
                tendency to rock. That is not a lot of hardware.

                Bud

                On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:

                > True, I could go to that extent, but I would still have a dovetail that is not in line with the optical axis of the scope. That question remains unanswered: So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
                >
                > Then again, the scope could have been mis-built with the rear cell screw holes not lining up with the front cell screw. I'm going to check that now.
                >
                > I think I know the answer, and I will find out tonight when I meet with some OCA members at the OCA GoTo SIG in Anaheim, CA. I will bring the scope and new mount.
                >
                > Gregg Hill
                >

                > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
                >> vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
                >> the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
                >> actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
                >> block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
                >> telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
                >> If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
                >>
                >> Bud
                >>
                >> On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
                >>
                >>> Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.
                >>>
                >>> Gregg Hill

              • Gregg
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                  I just assumed that when the polar finder scope in the CG-5GT mount had Polaris in it, that my C8 should also have Polaris in the field, but it is not even close. If the dovetail is straight down the scope tube, then it lines up with the mount axis.

                  Gregg Hill

                  --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_group_mail@...> wrote:

                  > It might be worth people measuring the circumference or diameter of their scopes and posting the results. That would give an indication if the scope has changed size.
                  >
                  > A difference of 1/16" over half the width of the radius block seems like a lot so my guess is that it's the wrong block, one for a bigger scope, that found it's way into the wrong bag.
                  >
                  > I'm sure that OPT and/or ADM will help.
                  >
                  > The tilt of the optical axis relative to the Dec axis is the cone error that the calibration stars are supposed to correct for.
                  >
                  > Chris
                  >
                  > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
                  > > vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
                  > > the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
                  > > actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
                  > > block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
                  > > telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
                  > > If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
                  > >
                  > > Bud
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Just a clarification: the front radius block is a near-perfect fit, but the rear radius block is not curved enough, so when the center touches, the ends are just under 1/16" from the cell. The block does not bend to fit well when tightened.
                  > > >
                  > > > Gregg Hill

                • Gregg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                    I am still very new to this mount, so bear with me! Would it not be preferable to have the dovetail straight down the tube, rather than try to compensate for it by resetting the declination setting circle? I am not even certain what you mean by resetting the declination setting circle.

                    When aligning the mount, it says to line up the index marks, then point the mount to Polaris via the process with the polar finder scope in the mount. When I do that, the C8 tube points a few degrees to the west. I can reset the setting circle, but that does not make the tube move to line up with Polaris.

                    Anyway, this issue is best left alone until tonight when I bring it with me to the GoTo SIG and compare it to others who can actually see the scope.

                    Gregg Hill

                    --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@...> wrote:

                    > An error in pitch (up-down) would need to be shimmed out. An error in yaw
                    > (left-right) can be dealt with by resetting the declination setting
                    > circle. You don't want the telescope to rock in the rear radius block.
                    > Two washers between the rear cell and the radius block will take out the
                    > tendency to rock. That is not a lot of hardware.
                    >
                    > Bud
                    >
                    > On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
                    >
                    > > True, I could go to that extent, but I would still have a dovetail that is not in line with the optical axis of the scope. That question remains unanswered: So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
                    > >
                    > > Then again, the scope could have been mis-built with the rear cell screw holes not lining up with the front cell screw. I'm going to check that now.
                    > >
                    > > I think I know the answer, and I will find out tonight when I meet with some OCA members at the OCA GoTo SIG in Anaheim, CA. I will bring the scope and new mount.
                    > >
                    > > Gregg Hill
                    > >

                    > > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
                    > >> vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
                    > >> the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
                    > >> actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
                    > >> block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
                    > >> telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
                    > >> If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
                    > >>
                    > >> Bud

                  • William Hamblen
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                      It is pretty hard to eyeball the dovetail. The thing to do is to sight on
                      Polaris or a distant object. First make sure the sight is adjusted so
                      that the crosshairs in the center of the reticle are centered on the polar
                      axis of the mount. Then get polaris on the crosshairs of the polar
                      alignment sight. Turn the telescope in declination so it is at 90 degrees
                      and center Polaris in an eyepiece inserted in the telescope. If you can't
                      get Polaris centered you need to shim the dovetail. Southern hemisphere
                      observers would need to substitute a distant object for Polaris. You want
                      one distant enough that parallax between the mount and the telescope is
                      small. Even as much as a kilometer.

                      Bud

                      On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:

                      > I just assumed that when the polar finder scope in the CG-5GT mount had Polaris in it, that my C8 should also have Polaris in the field, but it is not even close. If the dovetail is straight down the scope tube, then it lines up with the mount axis.
                      >
                      > Gregg Hill
                      >

                      > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <chris_group_mail@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> It might be worth people measuring the circumference or diameter of their scopes and posting the results. That would give an indication if the scope has changed size.
                      >>
                      >> A difference of 1/16" over half the width of the radius block seems like a lot so my guess is that it's the wrong block, one for a bigger scope, that found it's way into the wrong bag.
                      >>
                      >> I'm sure that OPT and/or ADM will help.
                      >>
                      >> The tilt of the optical axis relative to the Dec axis is the cone error that the calibration stars are supposed to correct for.
                      >>
                      >> Chris
                      >>
                      >> --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> The rear radius block on my Losmandy D-plate happens to fit my 1993
                      >>> vintage C8. Celestron could have changed dimensions when they went from
                      >>> the sand cast cell to the die cast cell. I'm not sure whether that
                      >>> actually occured. Your supplier also could have sent you the wrong radius
                      >>> block. You could put a washer on each of the two screws between the
                      >>> telescope and the rear radius block to take out the teeter totter motion.
                      >>> If you do this you also might have to shim the front block.
                      >>>
                      >>> Bud

                    • William Hamblen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                        The declination circle on a mount that is worth anything is adjustable.
                        You loosen the setscrew, turn the declination circle as needed and tighten
                        the setscrew. Or else you reset the index mark. Every mount has to be
                        adjustable. The optical axis of the telescope moves every time you
                        collimate it.

                        The dovetail shouldn't be skewed as much as you say unless something is
                        wrong. Several degrees of skew would put the screw holes 1/2 inch out
                        of line.

                        Bud

                        On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:

                        > I am still very new to this mount, so bear with me! Would it not be preferable to have the dovetail straight down the tube, rather than try to compensate for it by resetting the declination setting circle? I am not even certain what you mean by resetting the declination setting circle.
                        >
                        > When aligning the mount, it says to line up the index marks, then point the mount to Polaris via the process with the polar finder scope in the mount. When I do that, the C8 tube points a few degrees to the west. I can reset the setting circle, but that does not make the tube move to line up with Polaris.
                        >
                        > Anyway, this issue is best left alone until tonight when I bring it with me to the GoTo SIG and compare it to others who can actually see the scope.
                        >
                        > Gregg Hill
                        >

                        > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, William Hamblen <wrhamblen@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> An error in pitch (up-down) would need to be shimmed out. An error in yaw
                        >> (left-right) can be dealt with by resetting the declination setting
                        >> circle. You don't want the telescope to rock in the rear radius block.
                        >> Two washers between the rear cell and the radius block will take out the
                        >> tendency to rock. That is not a lot of hardware.
                        >>
                        >> Bud
                        >>
                        >> On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Gregg wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> True, I could go to that extent, but I would still have a dovetail that is not in line with the optical axis of the scope. That question remains unanswered: So, my big question of the day is **should** the dovetail mount be on the same axis as the telescope's optical axis, therefore aligning the scope's axis with the CG-5 mount's axis, or is there an intentional slight offset?
                        >>>
                        >>> Then again, the scope could have been mis-built with the rear cell screw holes not lining up with the front cell screw. I'm going to check that now.
                        >>>
                        >>> I think I know the answer, and I will find out tonight when I meet with some OCA members at the OCA GoTo SIG in Anaheim, CA. I will bring the scope and new mount.
                        >>>
                        >>> Gregg Hill

                      • Gregg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                          I need about 1/4" of movement of the rear radius block to get the dovetail straight down the tube. Or 1/4" at the front.

                          I'll take a close look at others' dovetails in an hour or so at the OCA GoTo SIG meeting.

                          Gregg Hill

                        • Gregg
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                            Dalton,

                            You somehow posted that as a reply to my thread. If you want better coverage, I recommend starting your own separate thread for it.

                            Gregg Hill

                            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Dalton Wilson" <astrodew@...> wrote:

                            > Here is my attempt at M1
                            >
                            > CGE Pro mount and a regular non Edge C14
                            >
                            > R=60%Ha+40% Sii
                            >
                            > G=Oiii
                            >
                            > B=50%Ha+50%Oiii
                            >
                            > All subs binned 2x2 and 900sec duration using a QSI540ws with Astrodon 5nm
                            > filters thru a C14 0.63 FF/FR ~F7.5
                            >
                            > I am in the learning process of how to narrowband and process them
                            >
                            > I have played with the spacing for the FF/FR and the QSI camera to try and
                            > find the sweet spot
                            >
                            > I am having a steep learning curve on Narrow banding and star color
                            >

                            > Posted at
                            >
                            > http://astrodew.zenfolio.com/p387382989/e307b641e
                            >

                            > Thanks for looking
                            >
                            > Dalton Wilson
                            >

                            > _____

                          • Jim S
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                              Dalton, you have a fantastic set of images of the M objects, and some of the NGC as well. May I have your permission to publish them as appropriate in our amateur club's newsletter, "The Observer"? Thank you for your consideration.

                              Jim Stanicek - Editor "The Observer" - official newsletter of the "Tristate Astronomers" Hagerstown, MD.

                              http://www.tristateastronomers.org/CurrentNewsletter.pdf

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                                  Hey Dalton,
                                  In the vernacular of the day,"You done good!"
                                  Tom

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 1, 2010
                                    Tom

                                    Thanks

                                    It took me awhile to find spacers I thought I needed for the FF/FR

                                    Then it took me awhile to try different lengths

                                    So few clear nights this year

                                    Dalton

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                      Dalton,

                                      Which 6.3 FF/FR are you using?

                                      Don

                                      > CGE Pro mount and a regular non Edge C14
                                      >
                                      > R=60%Ha+40% Sii
                                      >
                                      > G=Oiii
                                      >
                                      > B=50%Ha+50%Oiii
                                      >
                                      > All subs binned 2x2 and 900sec duration using a QSI540ws with Astrodon 5nm
                                      > filters thru a C14 0.63 FF/FR ~F7.5
                                      >
                                      > I am in the learning process of how to narrowband and process them
                                      >
                                      > I have played with the spacing for the FF/FR and the QSI camera to try and
                                      > find the sweet spot
                                      >
                                      > I am having a steep learning curve on Narrow banding and star color
                                      >

                                      > Posted at
                                      >
                                      > http://astrodew.zenfolio.com/p387382989/e307b641e
                                      >

                                      > Thanks for looking
                                      >
                                      > Dalton Wilson
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                    • Terry Tuggle
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                        Dalton,

                                        Looks really nice! I just wish there was a larger file to look at!

                                        All the best,

                                        Terry T.

                                        http://www.terryshuntofthemonth.com/

                                        /

                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                          Terry,

                                          Did you click on the image when the page opened? It does get a little larger.

                                          Don

                                          > Looks really nice! I just wish there was a larger file to look at!
                                          >

                                          > All the best,
                                          >
                                          > Terry T.
                                          >
                                          > http://www.terryshuntofthemonth.com/
                                          >
                                          > /
                                          >

                                          > _____

                                        • Terry Tuggle
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                            Don,

                                            For some reason they do not allow large files; Flicker is not a lot
                                            better but they do let you upload larger files.

                                            All the best,

                                            Terry T.

                                            http://www.terryshuntofthemonth.com/

                                            /

                                            _____

                                            Did you click on the image when the page opened? It does get a little
                                            larger.

                                            Don

                                            > Looks really nice! I just wish there was a larger file to look at!
                                            >

                                            > All the best,
                                            >
                                            > Terry T.
                                            >
                                            > http://www.terryshuntofthemonth.com/
                                            >
                                            > /
                                            >

                                            > _____
                                            >
                                            > From: sct-user@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com>
                                            > I made some mistakes on my previous post so I am trying again
                                            >
                                            > Here is my attempt at M1
                                            > CGE Pro mount and a regular non Edge C14 R=60%Ha+40% Sii G=Oiii
                                            > B=50%Ha+50%Oiii
                                            >
                                            > All subs binned 2x2 and 900sec duration using a QSI540ws with Astrodon 5nm
                                            > filters thru a C14 0.63 FF/FR ~F7.5
                                            > I am in the learning process of how to narrowband and process them
                                            > I have played with the spacing for the FF/FR and the QSI camera to try and
                                            > find the sweet spot
                                            > I am having a steep learning curve on Narrow banding and star color
                                            >
                                            > Posted at
                                            >
                                            > http://astrodew.zenfolio.com/p387382989/e307b641e
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for looking
                                            > Dalton Wilson

                                          • Dalton Wilson
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                              The Celestron one

                                              _____

                                              > CGE Pro mount and a regular non Edge C14
                                              >
                                              > R=60%Ha+40% Sii
                                              >
                                              > G=Oiii
                                              >
                                              > B=50%Ha+50%Oiii
                                              >
                                              > All subs binned 2x2 and 900sec duration using a QSI540ws with Astrodon 5nm
                                              > filters thru a C14 0.63 FF/FR ~F7.5
                                              >
                                              > I am in the learning process of how to narrowband and process them
                                              >
                                              > I have played with the spacing for the FF/FR and the QSI camera to try and
                                              > find the sweet spot
                                              >
                                              > I am having a steep learning curve on Narrow banding and star color
                                              >

                                              > Posted at
                                              >
                                              > http://astrodew.zenfolio.com/p387382989/e307b641e
                                              >

                                              > Thanks for looking
                                              >
                                              > Dalton Wilson
                                              >

                                              > _____

                                            • Don D'Egidio
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 2, 2010
                                                Dalton,

                                                The spacing is 100 to 110 mm from the rear optical element of the FR to the sensor.

                                                Don

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 10, 2010
                                                  Problem solved!

                                                  I have CC'd the ADM folks so that they can see how they can improve their dovetail to make it more versatile…in case any other poor soul still has an ancient misaligned C8 that needs a dovetail. Their rear radius block has some adjustment, just not enough for my situation.

                                                  Eric Blackhurst at OPT had sent me pictures of the Farpoint dovetail and it looked as though it would work, so to save myself a 60 mile drive, I went by Scope City. They had a Farpoint FVC8 in stock, but it only had one radius block. We compared the setup to the ADM, and it appeared that it would solve the problem because one end has a slot that goes sideways (ADM…that's the improvement you could do!). I bought it for $40 and then went by Home Depot and got some longer hex-head stainless steel mounting screws to fit the Farpoint's narrower slots, and it mounted just fine using the ADM radius blocks. I only needed about 3mm-4mm of wiggle room, and the Farpoint has a nice long slot at the back that worked great with lots of room to spare.

                                                  Due to the slight offset (3mm-4mm) of the front cell from the rear cell, the flat portions of the two radius blocks were not level with each other, so I shimmed one side of the rear cell radius block to make it so the sides of the dovetail all touched the radius blocks properly.

                                                  It works great!