RE: [sct-user] Wedge for Meade 14in LX-200R

  • Robert Piekiel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      Keep your eye on Astromart or Cloudy Nights. In the past six months I've noticed a few up for sale, at prices ranging from $150 to about $300. Don Rothman usually has a couple for sale, but "His prices are *INSANE*," to steal a line from Crazy Eddie...
      Good luck, Bob

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
        For a permanent set up why not get a fixed wedge made?

        It should be possible to get it made to within a degree, then make fine adjustments by tipping and tilting the wedge on it's mount. It doesn't matter that it's a bit more difficult because you only need to do it once.

        Chris

        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Robert Piekiel <piekielrl@...> wrote:

        > I know that - you simply have to do a little drilling.
        > Best, Bob

      • Steven
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
          I recently purchased a Milburn Wedge for my Meade 10" LX200ACF. I'm very pleased and would highly recommend one of these. I have the standard, you would need the bigger (deluxe? ) wedge for a 14"

          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Frank.Tomaras@... wrote:

          > Our club is in the process of buying a Wedge to mount the Centres Meade 14in LX-200R.
          >
          > So far we have looked at the Meade Ultrawedge and the Mity wedge from Optcorp.
          >
          > I am sure there are other choices out there, what would you reccomend?
          >
          > Your suggestions are appreciated.
          >
          > tks
          > Frank

        • chuck kimball
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
            Frank,

            I have had my 12 inch on an OPT Mitty wedge (for more than 15 years)
            that carries an extra 46 pounds at times... no sag, the alignment
            stays right on except for the recent earthquake... knocked it about
            an arc minute in dec, probably the pier moved.... it is a very strong
            device and is a dream to align...

            just my humble opinion of course..

            chuck k
            On Jun 30, 2010, at 12:26 PM, Frank.Tomaras@... wrote:

            > Our club is in the process of buying a Wedge to mount the Centres
            > Meade 14in LX-200R.
            >
            > So far we have looked at the Meade Ultrawedge and the Mity wedge
            > from Optcorp.
            >
            > I am sure there are other choices out there, what would you reccomend?
            >
            > Your suggestions are appreciated.
            >
            > tks
            > Frank

          • ancient.sull
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
              The only wedge I have used was a Mitty so I can't comment on other brands. Also, I didn't have a fixed site (obviously with a fixed site you only have to make adjustments every so often - I live in California and everything moves 'every so often'). And the Meade wedge was not the cheapest I could find.

              It worked flawlessly. It was very very easy to make small precise adjustments and one adjusted it stayed there.

              After I sold my Meade SCT I put the Mitty up for sale on Astromart with this ad:

              "This isn't the Ferrari of wedges. Ferrarris are unreliable and high maintenance. This would be the Caterpillar Tractor of Wedges, if Stradivarius made Caterpillar Tractors."

              I sold it for about what I had paid for it in about a day.

              Drew S.