RE: [sct-user] ALERT: NEW JUPITER IMPACT

  • Christopher Go
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
      Thanks Uncle Rod. Actually it's beginning now. I already had 2 interviews. 8)

      Chris

      At 01:41 AM 6/4/2010, you wrote:

      >All I can say further is it's gonna be a big day for you guys tomorrow, I
      >reckon!
      >
      >Good show!
      >
      >Peace,
      >Rod Mollise
      >Rod's new book:
      >_Choosing and Using a New CAT_
      >Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:
      >
      ><http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/>http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

    • thad_floryan
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Uncle Rod. Actually it's beginning now. I already had 2
        > interviews. 8)

        Super! You may be pleased to know I posted the following on Usenet's
        sci.astro.amateur group shortly after your announcement here:

        Reported earlier by Christopher Go:

        "
        " <http://astro.christone.net/jupiter/jupiterimpact.wmv>
        "
        " The impact occurred at around 20:30UT today. This video was done in
        " blue filter.
        "
        " Regards,
        "
        " Chris

        The video at the above URL is about 3 seconds long. Christopher is
        also the guy who discovered the "Red Spot, Jr." on Jupiter and used
        the Hubble to chronicle the events.

        He is an amateur astronomer and his website is here:

        <http://astro.christone.net/>
      • Joe Hartley
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
          > Reported earlier by Christopher Go:
          >
          > " Anthony Wesley and I just caught an impact in Jupiter!!

          This just got reported on the speaceweather.com mailing list.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
            more congratulations to both of you... amazing image..

            chuck k

            On Jun 3, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Christopher Go wrote:

            > Anthony Wesley and I just caught an impact in Jupiter!! Check out
            > the video that I got at:
            >
            > http://astro.christone.net/jupiter/jupiterimpact.wmv
            >
            > The impact occurred at around 20:30UT today. This video was done in
            > blue filter.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Chris

          • Fernando Rivera III
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
              Hello, there!

              Impressive video clearly showing quick impact! Too bad t'storms are in my area so can't go outside and setup equipment to see )-:

              Best regards,

              Fernando

              ________________________________

            • chicagoastronomer@email.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                Excellent capture and observation on the Jupiter impact!

                I have included it on The Chicago Astronomer:

                http://astronomer.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=solarsystem&thread=2735&page=1

                The citizen astronomer have become an integral partner in astronomical documentation.

                Sweet.

                I will attempt to image Jupiter with a C11 in the dawn and see if I can observe any impact evidence.

                Chicago Astronomer Joe

                Joe Guzman
                The Chicago Astronomer
                Founder & Administrator
                http://astronomer.proboards23.com

                Docent Telescope/Observatory Facilitator
                Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum

                JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador

                Voice mail: 773-299-8171
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/astronomerjoe

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                  Chris:

                  The video is about 2 seconds long. Is it in real time or a longer
                  composite of single frames?

                  Congratulations!

                  Phil

                • Christopher Go
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                    Hi Phil,

                    Real time, the impact was only .78 sec long.

                    Chris
                    At 08:21 PM 6/6/2010 -0400, you wrote:

                    >Chris:
                    >
                    >The video is about 2 seconds long. Is it in real time or a longer
                    >composite of single frames?
                    >
                    >Congratulations!
                    >
                    >Phil

                    Christopher and Vicky Go
                    Christone Industries
                    Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
                    Cebu, Philippines
                    http://www.christone.net
                    astropage: http://astro.cstoneind.com
                    HST Collaboration: http://www.redspotjr.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                      Anthony Wesley's video is at
                      <http://jupiter.samba.org/jupiter/20100603-203129-impact/index.html>
                      (scroll to the bottom, or the direct link is
                      <http://jupiter.samba.org/jupiter/20100603-203129-impact/jupiter-fireball-201006\03.avi>)

                      It appears to be slowed down, and appears to show even more detail than Chris' video (or maybe it just looks that way due to the time factor).

                      On the downside, it includes several seconds on either side of the impact, so (with the time factor) you have to dl 46MB to get the small part where the object actually impacts.

                      -John