Will TheSky6 or SkyTools3 control a Meade ETX-LS scope?

  • gilchriswa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
      All,

      I just acquired a 6" Meade ETX-LS scope, and wonder if anyone in the group has any experience trying to control such a system from either TheSky6 or SkyTools3. Any help will be appreciated.

      Allen Gilchrist
    • Rod Mollise
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
        If there is an ASCOM driver for the scope (or it will work with the Autostar
        driver) it will work with SkyTools. Same goes for TheSky 6...if it will work
        with the built-in Autostar driver (or you set it up with an ASCOM driver it
        can use, it will work).

        Peace,
        Rod Mollise
        Rod's new book:
        _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
        Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:

        http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
          Rod,

          Thanks for the response. I've been able to get TheSky6 to connect to the scope, but I haven't had any luck with SkyTools3. I've tried both the Meade LX-200 drivers listed on the ASCOM site. One of these is the LX200 Classic and the other is the LX200GPS. SkyTools lists a generic LX200 or an LX200GPS/R scope under the ASCOM heading. The generic scope only allows connection via Com ports 1 or 3. My system has the USB port from the scope assigned as Com 5. I've tried both drivers, but only the GPS choice in SkyTools. I'm sure there is some combination that will work, I just haven't found it yet.

          Allen

          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

          > If there is an ASCOM driver for the scope (or it will work with the Autostar
          > driver) it will work with SkyTools. Same goes for TheSky 6...if it will work
          > with the built-in Autostar driver (or you set it up with an ASCOM driver it
          > can use, it will work).
          >

          > Peace,
          > Rod Mollise
          > Rod's new book:
          > _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
          > Time to waste? Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog:
          >
          > http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

        • Don D'Egidio
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
            Allen,

            Go into Device Manager and then Ports and see if you can change the com port number to 3 for the USB
            port.

            Don

            > Thanks for the response. I've been able to get TheSky6 to connect to the scope, but I haven't had
            > any luck with SkyTools3. I've tried both the Meade LX-200 drivers listed on the ASCOM site. One
            > of these is the LX200 Classic and the other is the LX200GPS. SkyTools lists a generic LX200 or an
            > LX200GPS/R scope under the ASCOM heading. The generic scope only allows connection via Com ports
            > 1 or 3. My system has the USB port from the scope assigned as Com 5. I've tried both drivers,
            > but only the GPS choice in SkyTools. I'm sure there is some combination that will work, I just
            > haven't found it yet.
            >
            > Allen

          • tnstargazer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9 8:57 AM
              Allen,

              Although I do not have Skytools3, I find it interesting that I seem to be having communications issue with AstroPlanner. However, I can get RTGUI/Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium to control my LS 8 without any problems.

              I'm going to attempt a firmware update. I currently have 1.3. I'll post the results of that here. Perhaps it can resolve your issue as well. I believe they just released v1.5.

              John

              http://attheeyepiece.blogspot.com