C14 Finder/guide scope suggestions

  • jamc2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hello:
      I have a C14(Fastar ready but no Fastar in the immediate future) that I would like to use with a colour Mallincam- Meade f/3.3 focal reducer and no diagonal.
      I would like to upgrade the stock finder scope and increase the magnification a bit and in the future be able to use it as a guide scope if/when I go Fastar with a CCD camera.
      I have been looking at the SV F80M2- http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html - any other suggestions?
      Mount is MI-250.
      Thanks
    • ancient.sull
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        This is not a specific suggestion for a scope but:

        One thing you really need if you are going to use this as a guide scope is a very good/rigid focuser. That means you can't use a really cheaply made guide scope. And with a C14 you will also want to have a wider field scope for imaging larger targets.

        So, since you will have to pay for a solid, non-flexing guide scope I'd suggest choosing a scope that can do double duty as a wide field imaging scope as well.

        There are lots of good, reasonably priced 80mm to 100mm refractors out there. Just be sure the focuser is rock steady under the weight of your camera.

        Drew S.

        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "jamc2004" <jamc2004@...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        > I have a C14(Fastar ready but no Fastar in the immediate future) that I would like to use with a colour Mallincam- Meade f/3.3 focal reducer and no diagonal.
        > I would like to upgrade the stock finder scope and increase the magnification a bit and in the future be able to use it as a guide scope if/when I go Fastar with a CCD camera.
        > I have been looking at the SV F80M2- http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html - any other suggestions?
        > Mount is MI-250.
        > Thanks

      • jamc2004
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
          Thanks for the suggestions. I see too where the SV F80M2 attaches to the OTA at a single small dovetail at the OTA rear like the stock C14 finder which I am guessing is not good for use as a guider vs a full OTA length dovetail and a longer more substantial dovetail or multiple connections?
          Thanks

          --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "ancient.sull" <ancient.sull@...> wrote:

          > This is not a specific suggestion for a scope but:
          >
          > One thing you really need if you are going to use this as a guide scope is a very good/rigid focuser. That means you can't use a really cheaply made guide scope. And with a C14 you will also want to have a wider field scope for imaging larger targets.
          >
          > So, since you will have to pay for a solid, non-flexing guide scope I'd suggest choosing a scope that can do double duty as a wide field imaging scope as well.
          >
          > There are lots of good, reasonably priced 80mm to 100mm refractors out there. Just be sure the focuser is rock steady under the weight of your camera.
          >
          > Drew S.
          >
          > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "jamc2004" <jamc2004@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello:
          > > I have a C14(Fastar ready but no Fastar in the immediate future) that I would like to use with a colour Mallincam- Meade f/3.3 focal reducer and no diagonal.
          > > I would like to upgrade the stock finder scope and increase the magnification a bit and in the future be able to use it as a guide scope if/when I go Fastar with a CCD camera.
          > > I have been looking at the SV F80M2- http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html - any other suggestions?
          > > Mount is MI-250.
          > > Thanks

        • ancient.sull
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
            Yes, I would definitely put a top dovetail on the C14 and mount the guide scope/alternate imaging scope with solid rings.

            Drew S.

            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "jamc2004" <jamc2004@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the suggestions. I see too where the SV F80M2 attaches to the OTA at a single small dovetail at the OTA rear like the stock C14 finder which I am guessing is not good for use as a guider vs a full OTA length dovetail and a longer more substantial dovetail or multiple connections?
            > Thanks
            >

            > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "ancient.sull" <ancient.sull@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is not a specific suggestion for a scope but:
            > >
            > > One thing you really need if you are going to use this as a guide scope is a very good/rigid focuser. That means you can't use a really cheaply made guide scope. And with a C14 you will also want to have a wider field scope for imaging larger targets.
            > >
            > > So, since you will have to pay for a solid, non-flexing guide scope I'd suggest choosing a scope that can do double duty as a wide field imaging scope as well.
            > >
            > > There are lots of good, reasonably priced 80mm to 100mm refractors out there. Just be sure the focuser is rock steady under the weight of your camera.
            > >
            > > Drew S.
            > >
            > > --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "jamc2004" <jamc2004@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello:
            > > > I have a C14(Fastar ready but no Fastar in the immediate future) that I would like to use with a colour Mallincam- Meade f/3.3 focal reducer and no diagonal.
            > > > I would like to upgrade the stock finder scope and increase the magnification a bit and in the future be able to use it as a guide scope if/when I go Fastar with a CCD camera.
            > > > I have been looking at the SV F80M2- http://www.stellarvue.com/f80.html - any other suggestions?
            > > > Mount is MI-250.
            > > > Thanks

          • Mark Gaffney
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
              Those finder`s looked so nifty too! Do you think my C9.25 would be
              sufficiently wide-field to cope with objects like say M 42 with a
              Meade f3.3 FR (which I have but am yet to test it in practise)? Not
              that I can afford one of these SV F80M2`s at present et al...Just
              thought they might make an interesting experiment to use as a guide
              scope (along with my OAG) eventually..

              Mark.