LX-200 classic - dec. bearing question

  • tom_krajci
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
      New photos/text at
      <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sct-user/files/LX200-OTA-disassembly/>

      Original style LX-200 Classic dec. sleeve bearing (with thust
      bearing/washers behind, not visible).

      New style LX-200 Classic dec. roller bearing. Note that fork arm is
      NOT bored to accept the bearing's outer diameter. It appears to be
      mounted to the inside of the fork arm surface instead.

      Another perspective to show Meade roller bearing mounting. Did they
      merely glue the bearing to the fork's inner surface? Or did they do
      something else?

      Thanks in advance.

      Tom Krajci
      Cloudcroft, New Mexico
      http://picasaweb.google.com/tom.krajci

      Center for Backyard Astrophysics (CBA)
      http://cbastro.org/ CBA New Mexico

      American Association of Variable Star
      Observers (AAVSO): KTC http://www.aavso.org/
    • tom_krajci
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2009
        --- In Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "tom_krajci" <tom_krajci@...> wrote:

        > New photos/text at
        > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Meade-Uncensored/files/LX200-OTA-disassembly/>
        >
        > Original style LX-200 Classic dec. sleeve bearing (with thust
        > bearing/washers behind, not visible).

        Part two - now that I've disconnected OTA/stub axles/forks...the
        thrust bearing on one fork arm...did not have a steel thrust bearing
        washer between the bearing and the aluminum fork arm surface.

        Result? Galling of the aluminum fork arm surface, uneven bearing
        motion, extra friction. (But the steel thrust bearing rollers seem
        undamaged.)

        Easy enough to fix...clean/regrease the bearing, and put a proper
        thrust bearing washer in place when I reassemble.

        I don't think the original owner ever took apart the fork bearings,
        so I place blame on Meade factory assembly.