Re:8-inch LX-200 disassembly report

  • tom_krajci
    Message 1 of 82 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

      > Yet these telescopes work very well, how do you account for that?

      I can't respond to your vague statement 'work very well'. If you
      define it in measurable terms, then I can say something substantive
      in response.

      > Where does
      > this supposed "off balance glue" cause problems?

      Grab your favorite tool box. Heavy, yes? But it's just a straight
      pull up to carry it.

      Now, shove all the tools to one end of the box. Pick it up now.

      Something's different...and it's uncomfortable to you...you gotta
      apply a torque to that tool box.

      That's because the handle is not aligned with the box's center of
      gravity (unless you carry it at a funny angle).

      Same with a mirror. If you don't support it at the balance point
      (center of gravity)...you need to apply two forces to it:
      - a linear force
      - a torque

      If you support it at the balance point...you only need to apply a
      linear force. Torque is not needed.

      OK, the mirror's held far from the balance point...so a torque is
      applied to it. That, ahem, masking tape...which is not very stiff,
      and has shrunk over time...doesn't resist that torque very well.

      Result? Mirror flop.

      Tom Krajci
      Cloudcroft, New Mexico
      http://picasaweb.google.com/tom.krajci

      Center for Backyard Astrophysics (CBA)
      http://cbastro.org/ CBA New Mexico

      American Association of Variable Star
      Observers (AAVSO): KTC http://www.aavso.org/
    • tom_krajci
      Message 82 of 82 , Jun 4, 2009
        --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

        > If you want to discuss this, let's take it to direct email.

        John,

        If you don't mind, I'd be interested to hear what transpires between you and the moderator off-list.

        Moderator,
        John is not asking an unreasonable question. And, this is not classified information.

        If there is not a two-way dialogue...then it'll seem like you're making transmissions in the blind...as if you were still in some SAC command post.