2008 SCT-User Imaging Contest- Ineligible Entries

  • Frank Dilatush
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1 5:34 AM
      Hello friends, we're down to the last month of the contest and another
      member has pointed out that a few of the entries were taken prior to
      the October 1st 2008 start date. These entries are by the rules
      ineligible for judging.

      Michael Phillips and Doussoux Francois, I'm sorry guys, please choose
      and upload another entry taken within the contest time line or we will
      have to discard your current entries for judging.

      cheers,

      Frank D
    • Photon Collector EL
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1 9:50 AM
        I'm not sure how the weather has been in the rest of the country, but here in Michigan astronomy has been virtually shut down since October. There have been a very few nights here and there but they were almost always during full moon. I haven't been able to produce a quality image since September.
        If this is an annual contest, why wouldn't it cover the entire year? There are objects up from April to September that cannot be imaged during the contest time slot. What if there were a comet storm in August with dozens of comets exploding in the sky? What if a mountain size asteroid smashed into the moon and created a ring of debris that lasted from April until September? You wouldn't allow a single image from these historic events?

        ---Frank R Uroda
        "Maker of high quality carbon fiber telescope tubes"

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1 9:57 AM
          Sorry, the rules is the rules. You've still got time, and next year, maybe
          the weather will be different or we can make changes in the rules.
          Mid-stream. Nope.

          ;-)

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          Rod's new book:
          _Choosing and Using a New CAT_
          Available Now!

          <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1 10:01 AM
            This "may" indeed be a valid perspective.

            However, the rules for this year have been "chiseled in stone" so to speak.

            I'm sure that an open discussion with Frank, Rod, and the others can be
            worked through for the NEXT contest.

            The weather here in Virginia hasn't been much better. It's ironic that
            THIS February has been the driest on record - YET - the least usable for
            viewing.

            Rod hasn't been seeing too much from the Swamp, nor Frank from the mole
            hills that He calls mountains.

            Bob - N0DGN

            Photon Collector EL wrote:

            > I'm not sure how the weather has been in the rest of the country, but
            > here in Michigan astronomy has been virtually shut down since October.
            > There have been a very few nights here and there but they were almost
            > always during full moon. I haven't been able to produce a quality
            > image since September.
            > If this is an annual contest, why wouldn't it cover the entire year?
            > There are objects up from April to September that cannot be imaged
            > during the contest time slot. What if there were a comet storm in
            > August with dozens of comets exploding in the sky? What if a mountain
            > size asteroid smashed into the moon and created a ring of debris that
            > lasted from April until September? You wouldn't allow a single image
            > from these historic events?
            >
            > ---Frank R Uroda
            > "Maker of high quality carbon fiber telescope tubes"

            Bob - NØDGN

          • Rod Mollise
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1 10:06 AM
              More like "nuttin' honey" I did get a look at Lulin with the StarBlast for a
              couple of nights from the Chaos Manor South backyard, but that has been
              it...for a while. It does clear up sometimes when the Moon is fat and Full,
              but that is it. LOL

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9 3:40 PM
                --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Dilatush" <rfsinc@...> wrote:

                > Hello friends, we're down to the last month of the contest and another
                > member has pointed out that a few of the entries were taken prior to
                > the October 1st 2008 start date. These entries are by the rules
                > ineligible for judging.
                >
                > Michael Phillips and Doussoux Francois, I'm sorry guys, please choose
                > and upload another entry taken within the contest time line or we will
                > have to discard your current entries for judging.
                >
                > cheers,
                >
                > Frank D

                Hello sct's owners !

                Lattely i saw this message, i'm sorry that my image is outdated.
                As i live in paris , i pnly cab make images during my summer holydays...
                :((

                How can i remove the image ?

                And , as this image is out of the contest , what do you think of it ?
                That was one of my first attempt to make such image at 2000 mm focus.

                François D
              • Frank Dilatush
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9 4:38 PM
                  --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "fong" <fdoux@...> wrote:
                  > Hello sct's owners !
                  >
                  > Lattely i saw this message, i'm sorry that my image is outdated.
                  > As i live in paris , i pnly cab make images during my summer holydays...
                  > :((
                  >
                  > How can i remove the image ?
                  >
                  > And , as this image is out of the contest , what do you think of it ?
                  > That was one of my first attempt to make such image at 2000 mm focus.
                  >
                  > François D

                  Oh Francois, I'm so sorry we have to disqualify such a lovely image!
                  http://www.darkatmospheres.com/contest/2008/live_entries/famax62_3_bg.jpg

                  My opinion, from a neophyte you understand, is that the focus is crisp with perhaps just slight bloating of the stars but no trailing. And I love the detail, coloration, and variegation of M27's core.
                  A capture to be proud of!

                  We will ask Roth our webmaster to remove it. But come back next year Francois, you are always welcome.

                  warm regards,

                  Frank D