Re: Replacement correctors for SCTs

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
      I have an email from the same guy, at Wave Optics in Brooklyn, NYC
      for large dobsonian mirrors. khail250@...

      Rod, when you have the time could you tell me what you think of
      Vixen's VMC 200L. I read an old review you wrote, but have you tried
      that scope since, and if so, whats up?

      --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Robert Piekiel <piekielrl@...> wrote:

      > Did anybody see ad# 593740 which appeared on AstroMart earlier
      today? A guy named (I'm probably spelling this wrong) Makhail
      Rosenberg stated that he had the capabilities to manufacture
      replacement correctors in sizes up to 24 inches for any f-ratio
      primary. This same guy advertised a 48-inch pre-slumped mirror
      yesterday. Today, both ads are gone (the one about the correctors
      disappeared within a few hours of the posting - I had the ad saved in
      my history file so I was able to repeat the number above!)
      > If I remember correctly, this guy has advertised some optics on
      ebay. I asked him a question once and he responded, so that's where I
      believe I've heard his name. I thought he was somewhere in CA, but his
      AstroMart ads said the "item locations" were from China. That really
      puzzled me. Does anyone else have any info on this?

      > Thanks, Bob Piekiel

    • Photon Collector EL
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        Bob,
        I looked him up on Google and found this.....
        http://www.rosenbergtelescopes.com/aboutus22

        ---Frank R Uroda
        "Maker of high quality carbon fiber telescope tubes"

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
          What do I think of the scope? Nice enough. Some pluses (no dew on the
          corrector) and some minuses (not so hotsky focusing system). The main thing
          has always been "why bother?" It really doesn't perform any better than a
          garden variety Meade or Celestron.

          The VC, Vixen's other CAT is a different kettle of fish.

          ;-)

          Peace,
          Rod Mollise
          Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
          The Urban Astronomer's Guide
          <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
            How do you think about the Intes-Micro MakCass scopes?

            They are a premium price compared to the garden variety M and C
            offerings, but they do have some nice features.

            MN 809 = 8" F/10 = $4080
            C8 w/XLT = $920

            Question is, are they worth the cost difference to the average visual
            user?

            Timm

            --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Mollise" <rmollise@...> wrote:

            > What do I think of the scope? Nice enough. Some pluses (no dew on the
            > corrector) and some minuses (not so hotsky focusing system). The
            main thing
            > has always been "why bother?" It really doesn't perform any better
            than a
            > garden variety Meade or Celestron.
            >
            > The VC, Vixen's other CAT is a different kettle of fish.
            >
            > ;-)
            >

            > Peace,
            > Rod Mollise
            > Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
            > The Urban Astronomer's Guide
            > <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

            Behalf