[sct-user] Re: LX-10

  • Michael Sangster
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 23, 1999
      Yes, I'm a LX-10 owner.

      - Michael Sangster http://members.aol.com/lx10user

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <swells@...>
      To: <sct-user@egroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 8:20 PM
      Subject: [sct-user] LX-10

      > Are there any LX-10 users on the list? Rod I know you have some at
      > USA; anybody else?

      > http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html

    • Michael Sangster
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 24, 1999
        I'm observing from Duluth, Minnesota. I do most of my observing in my
        backyard, with limiting magnitude of 5.0 to 5.4 (on a good night).

        I've had a few obstacles to overcome, but I think most were learning how to
        use an SCT, not the telescope. The optics seem pretty good. I can see a lot
        of details on Mars (learned a lot about collimation and reducing vibration
        with my Mars observing project!), Jupiter and Saturn - after fine tuning the
        collimation.

        I have more details about my scope on my web page (which I'm in the process
        of updating again):
        http://members.aol.com/lx10user

        - Michael Sangster

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
          Hi

          I joined this group this morning and the very first post I get is on
          LX-10.
          That is really great. I have been looking out for LX-10 users and could
          not
          find many. Now it looks as if I have struck gold.

          I have LX-10 with Magellan I. So far used more for visual, a little bit
          for astrophotography, want to get into CCD imaging.

          Prasad -
          Manila Philippines

          Sam Wells wrote:

          > That's great. There's at least two of us -- that's a dialogue.

        • David & Tess LaBedz
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
            Hello,

            I am also a LX 10 user.

            David LaBedz

          • RMOLLISE@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999

              <<
              Are there any LX-10 users on the list? Rod I know you have some at
              USA; anybody else?

              Hi:

              Let me add that after a year's use by students, I dragged out all the scopes
              the other afternoon to tune 'em up, clean 'em etc. They'd held up
              surprisingly well under the tender ministrations of a year's worth of
              undergraduates! I like the LX-10 and think it's one of the best values on the
              market right now.

              Peace,
              Rod
            • Ray Porter
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                You didn't actually ask any questions but I'll provide a little more
                information to get a dialog going. First off, let me say that my scope has
                the best optics of any SCT I've had the pleasure to examine in the past 2
                years (and I don't even think I've got it collimated perfectly). It even
                holds its own reasonably well side-by-side with another club members AP
                Starfire 130. I got my LX10 by trading the ETX I used to own. The previous
                owner had sold and ETX to purchase the LX10 then decided he made a mistake
                (the LX10 was too big for him) so we made a straight trade. He also threw
                in a Celestron heavy duty carrying case (the one that Orion used to sell for
                $279). He had the LX10 basic but I've since upgraded it to an LX10 Deluxe
                (or a little above). I've begun to experiment with astrophotography and
                I've begun to make some progress but nothing spectacular yet. Sometime in
                the next couple of years, I'd like to take my OTA and mount it on a Losmandy
                mount (I haven't decided between the GM8 and the G11 yet). Of course,
                Jordan Blessing is developing and autoguider relay for the LX10 and if that
                is ever actually manufactured, I might go that way and hold off changing
                mounts.

                Ray Porter
                Applications Analyst Programmer
                Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
                Phone: 966-5878
                email: ray_porter@...
                dragon@...
                Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

                "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
                for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

                > That's great. There's at least two of us -- that's a dialogue.

              • Michael Bradshaw
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                  How many scopes, and how extensively? It takes me a full day to tear down
                  and rebuild each of our C8s to the quality that I am happy with. That is a
                  complete dismantling, regreasing, optical cleaning, rebuilding and mild
                  alignment.
                  Michael Bradshaw
                  Florida International University
                  Astronomy Laboratory Supervisor
                  Miami, FL
                  bradshaw@...

                  From: RMOLLISE@... <RMOLLISE@...>

                • RMOLLISE@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999

                    <<
                    How many scopes, and how extensively? It takes me a full day to tear down
                    and rebuild each of our C8s to the quality that I am happy with. That is a
                    complete dismantling, regreasing, optical cleaning, rebuilding and mild
                    alignment. >>

                    Hi Mike:

                    Just cleaning, gear check, battery change etc. These little scopes are only
                    about a year old, so they really didn't an extensive tear down or internal
                    cleaning. I do need to do a quick collimation/finder alignment check this
                    week, though.

                    Peace,
                    Rod
                  • Sam Wells
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                      That was a good swap. My LX-10 is my first "real" telescope; I had
                      old Tasco reflector back in the sixties, but until recently was unable
                      to devote the necessary time to looking skyward. I've been happy with
                      it except for several results of bad quality control concerning the
                      dec drive and parts for the Magellan I. I'm finding that it takes
                      time and more to properly operate these things.

                      Sam

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                        Thank you, David. I'm saving email addresses from you
                        LX-10 folks for those times I know I'm gonna need advice.
                        Good luck to you.

                        Sam Wells

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                          Thanks, Parsad. Looks like I asked the right question at the right
                          time.
                          It's been many, many years since I was in the Philippines, back in the
                          funky fifties. I hope the weather is cooperating with viewing. I've
                          also
                          installed Magellan I on my scope and have found it very accurate. I've
                          also
                          made the plunge and bought a cheap black and white Quickcam from
                          Egghead for $20 US and am struggling to get more than a picture of
                          the inside of my OTA with it.

                          Peace and good viewing

                          Sam Wells

                          > I joined this group this morning and the very first post I get is on
                          > LX-10.
                          > That is really great. I have been looking out for LX-10 users and
                          could
                          > not
                          > find many. Now it looks as if I have struck gold.
                          >
                          > I have LX-10 with Magellan I. So far used more for visual, a little
                          bit
                          > for astrophotography, want to get into CCD imaging.
                          >
                          > Prasad -
                          > Manila Philippines
                        • Prasad Agrahar
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                            Hi Sam

                            I selected LX-10 after reading so much about the problems of Meade advanced
                            product LX-200 like runaway dec motor, and many similar frequent defects.
                            Living far away from US, I can't afford to send my scope back to factory
                            even if they do it for free. So I selected LX-10 as I felt, in case any
                            problem, I can resolve it.

                            I have owned this LX-10 for nearly two years. It has traveled between India
                            and Manila twice. No change or degradation of collimation or any other
                            problems after two air cargo shipments. I would go in for a 10 inch LX 200
                            (mainly for PEC) if it can be as reliable as this LX-10.

                            Magellan I is quite ok but the battery runs out quickly if its serial port
                            is connected to a note book computer. Also not too accurate in pointing. I
                            think the encoders are not very high resolution.

                            I have recently got a SBIG ST-5C, and want to try autoguiding. Any one who
                            can help me with the building of a relay box?

                            Thanks
                            Prasad
                            Manila - Philippines

                            Sam Wells wrote:

                            > Thanks, Parsad. Looks like I asked the right question at the right
                            > time.
                            > It's been many, many years since I was in the Philippines, back in the
                            > funky fifties. I hope the weather is cooperating with viewing. I've
                            > also
                            > installed Magellan I on my scope and have found it very accurate. I've
                            > also
                            > made the plunge and bought a cheap black and white Quickcam from
                            > Egghead for $20 US and am struggling to get more than a picture of
                            > the inside of my OTA with it.
                            >
                            > Peace and good viewing
                            >
                            > Sam Wells

                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                              Hi Prasad,

                              I read your post regarding your fears of buying an LX200 with sophisticated
                              electronics. You are not alone...I certainly had the same fears and I live
                              in the US. I own a 10" LX200 which I purchased new about 3 1/2 years ago.
                              I've used it very frequently with absolutely no problems until about 5 weeks
                              ago. My problem was electronic in nature...just what I feared the most.
                              But this story has a happy ending and I want to tell you about it. Reading
                              it may serve to dispel some of your fears of owning an LX 200.

                              I learned that it is not necessary to send the entire scope back to Meade
                              for electronic repairs...additionally, it is not very expensive. If and
                              when you have a problem, all that is required is to send the electronic
                              components to Meade. (Meade will send you easy instructions regarding the
                              removal of these components from your scope) The size of the package is
                              small and the weight of the components is about 2 pounds. Meade will test,
                              repair or replace anything that is faulty and return it to you within a
                              month. The cost of this is a very reasonable flat rate regardless of what
                              repairs are done and includes the shipping back to you.

                              Don't be afraid of owning an LX200. Today, I own 3 other scopes in addition
                              to my 10" LX200...which is my favorite! I will probably keep this scope
                              until it dies.

                              Al

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                                Sometimes you don't even have to send the equipment in, they will ship you
                                the replacement module and you can either return the broken equipment, or
                                sometimes, just chuck it. They have designed the drives, motors, and
                                circuit boards to be easily replaceable. Now, not starting a flame thread
                                here, but might that be one of the problems that they have? If the
                                equipment is designed to be modular, they need to modify the design, and
                                that might weaken it. Does this make sense? It's kind of like the Dodge
                                Neon when it came out. They were touting it as a "green car", that was 100%
                                recycleable. Each and every part had a date when they could be recycled.
                                Isn't this kind of like having an expiration date on your car?

                                From: Al <aocc@...>

                                >Hi Prasad,
                                >I learned that it is not necessary to send the entire scope back to Meade
                                >for electronic repairs...additionally, it is not very expensive. If and
                                >when you have a problem, all that is required is to send the electronic
                                >components to Meade. (Meade will send you easy instructions regarding the
                                >removal of these components from your scope) The size of the package is
                                >small and the weight of the components is about 2 pounds. Meade will test,
                                >repair or replace anything that is faulty and return it to you within a
                                >month. The cost of this is a very reasonable flat rate regardless of what
                                >repairs are done and includes the shipping back to you.
                                >Al
                              • Ray Porter
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                                  Check out Jordan Blessing's web site (http://www.scopetronix.com). Jordan
                                  has a prototype for a autoguider relay box that will work with the LX10 but,
                                  as far as I know, he hasn't put it into production yet. If you try it let
                                  us know how well it works. I may well be interested if it works reasonably
                                  well.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                                    My Magellan I has been fairly accurate, but I needed replacements for
                                    the decoders and the cable for the dec DSC as it was too short to
                                    reach the pins. I have yet to play with the RS-232 output to a
                                    computer, but plan to soon. I'll probably try to build a power supply
                                    box to circumvent the battery drain problem. I have several accounts
                                    of high battery drainage when the RS-232 output was utilized. Oh, I
                                    got he LX-10 because it was much cheaper with the same optics
                                    (supposedly) as the LX-50 and 200.

                                    > I selected LX-10 after reading so much about the problems of Meade
                                    > product LX-200 like runaway dec motor, and many similar frequent
                                    defects.
                                    > Living far away from US, I can't afford to send my scope back to
                                    factory
                                    > even if they do it for free. So I selected LX-10 as I felt, in case
                                    any
                                    > problem, I can resolve it.
                                    >
                                    > I have owned this LX-10 for nearly two years. It has traveled
                                    between India
                                    > and Manila twice. No change or degradation of collimation or any
                                    other
                                    > problems after two air cargo shipments. I would go in for a 10 inch
                                    LX 200
                                    > (mainly for PEC) if it can be as reliable as this LX-10.
                                    >
                                    > Magellan I is quite ok but the battery runs out quickly if its
                                    serial port
                                    > is connected to a note book computer. Also not too accurate in
                                    pointing. I
                                    > think the encoders are not very high resolution.
                                    >
                                    > I have recently got a SBIG ST-5C, and want to try autoguiding. Any
                                    one who
                                    > can help me with the building of a relay box?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks
                                    > Prasad
                                    > Manila - Philippines
                                  • Al
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 1, 1999
                                      Hi Mike,

                                      I didn't know that Meade also swapped parts...that's even better...it saves
                                      down time.

                                      Not sure that I understand the point you are trying to make about the
                                      modular design inherent in the scopes. I believe that the system works
                                      pretty well and may not need to be redesigned. "If it ain't broke, don't
                                      fix it.!

                                      Al

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 2, 1999
                                        Thanks Al,

                                        What I wrote as my reasons for selecting a LX 10 was my thinking 18
                                        months ago. I have owned the LX-10 for over 18 months and I now have
                                        mixed
                                        feelings for it. Undoubtedly it is a good scope for it's price. Meade
                                        claim that the OTA is the same as LX-200. What they don't tell is
                                        difference between LX-10 and LX-200. The fork is weak. Even a small
                                        knock keeps it vibrating for a while. OTA flexure is a major problem for
                                        long exposures. The DEC drive is plastic gears. Though I have not had
                                        any problem with the drive, I have seen comments from users in cold
                                        climate countries that the drive runs slow and they have increase
                                        battery to 12 V, etc. I have seen one paper where the user adjusted the
                                        potmeter in the controller to change the voltage at the dc motor to make
                                        it run at the right tracking speed. LX-10 is a good entry level serious
                                        scope.

                                        Recently I tried to find a new owner for my LX-10 but it is not easy in
                                        this part of the world. I am still trying. I may yet decide to keep the
                                        LX-10 and go for a LX-200. A bit heavy but still portable. I was told
                                        that Meade has a better quality system for exported equipment. I hope it
                                        is true. I have read posts in MAPUG that Meade gives clear instructions
                                        on how to disassemble the defective part for return for
                                        repair/replacement. What I expressed were my initial feelings.

                                        Clear skies to all

                                        Prasad
                                        Manila Philippines

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 7, 1999

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 8, 1999
                                            I'll have to give that page a visit. I had some RA speed tracking
                                            problems at first but have been able to smooth that out and now get
                                            good RA speed.

                                            Sam

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 10, 1999
                                              Al

                                              Have you followed the thread in the MAPUG list "LX200 Repair saga continues
                                              ..."?

                                              Sounds very scary to me and strengthens my decision to putoff my plan to
                                              upgrade to LX200. When living so far away from USA, I must not think of luxuries
                                              - it appears. Meade may support part repairs but what if the expensive stuff
                                              gets damaged due to other reasons?

                                              No - I will not decide now - neither f/10 nor f/6.3 - not now :-(

                                              Prasad
                                              Manila - Philippines

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 10, 1999
                                                Prasad,

                                                I have not followed the thread...know nothing about it! Please fill me in.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 10, 1999
                                                  Al

                                                  Here I am pasting a part of the exchange found on MAPUG. I agree, any thing can
                                                  go wrong, but here in the third world we face higher risk. Not only the costs
                                                  involved, local customs rules, non-aailability of parts, may make a nice piece
                                                  of equipment unusable for long time.
                                                  Quote:

                                                  > Another update on my attempt to get my 10" LX200 working.
                                                  >
                                                  > Some of you may recall that I had, over the past months, sent in my hand
                                                  > controller for a problem, received another one back... worse than the
                                                  > original.. had to send in the electronics package, received the set back
                                                  > and had the scope work for two hours, then break a gear in the Dec motor
                                                  > assembly. While atempting to fix the gear, I probably messed up the
                                                  > encoder assembly, because I then had Dec runaway.
                                                  >
                                                  > I had to send the entire scope in next, which I received back today (Dec
                                                  > motor asm had been replaced, according to the documentation). Fired it up
                                                  > and found that when I tried to send the scope in a Northern direction, the
                                                  > Dec motor would bind up and stall.
                                                  >
                                                  > I looked closer and found two things: First, when the dec motor was told
                                                  > to drive the scope North, the worm gear would be driven out of mesh with
                                                  > the main gear. (This is true whether the drive was done manually or via
                                                  > the motor.)
                                                  >
                                                  > The second thing I noticed was that when the dec lock was completely
                                                  > loosened and the scope *not* balanced, the scope would *not* freely fall
                                                  > toward the South, as it always has in the past. The entire dec mechanism,
                                                  > when moved manually with everything loosened, seemed to be somewhat
                                                  > tighter. This, I assume, accounts for why the scope would not attempt to
                                                  > fall in a Southernly direction.
                                                  >
                                                  > I repositioned the dec motor assmebly slightly and it no longer completely
                                                  > bound up, yet the worm gear definitely still attempts to disengage from
                                                  > the driven gear.
                                                  >
                                                  > As a temporary measure, I found another compression spring and put it
                                                  > between the Dec gear box and the scope housing, so as to supplement the
                                                  > work of the existing compression spring. This made a significant
                                                  > improvement. The gears hardly begin to separate, and the motor no longer
                                                  > sounds like it is banging and grinding, as it did in the first place. But
                                                  > of course, this is a patch, and should not be necessary.
                                                  >
                                                  > Now.. with this info, what do you think, gang? Is there a simple step
                                                  > that I am overlooking that would free up the scope on the Dec axis? I see
                                                  > nothing significant to account for the sort-of-bind that seems to be
                                                  > there, and I'm pretty sure that this binding is at least a PART of the
                                                  > cause of the gears unmeshing, or trying to.
                                                  >
                                                  > I called Meade, of course, but haven't received a response as yet. I know
                                                  > for certain that before I send something in for a FOURTH time, I want to
                                                  > hear whatever ideas this group may have. I have been without this scope
                                                  > since the beginning of June, and I'd rather not send it away again for
                                                  > another month or so, unless absolutely necessary.
                                                  >
                                                  > Ideas are most welcome, and thanks in advance.

                                                  reply:
                                                  >-- Wow! your saga is worse than mine. If your scope dec
                                                  > bearings were originally free, then I would guess that the fork or ota
                                                  > alignment is now "out". Check on Doc G's site for the alignment
                                                  > instructions that are part of the bearing replacement mod. Assuming that
                                                  > your basic "bearings" are free, then this alignment may free up the dec
                                                  > system and reduce the dec friction to its original lower value.
                                                  >
                                                  >Regards

                                                  Unquote:

                                                  The above story seems to a snowballing of events that made the big headache. I
                                                  have deleted the names, addresses, etc.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 11, 1999
                                                    Hi Prasad,

                                                    This is quite a story...I can't blame you for being ultra cautious!

                                                    This has not been my experience. I've used my 10" LX200 for 3 1/2
                                                    years...I've used it very frequently and I never experienced a problem until
                                                    last month. The problem was repaired very quickly and I'm back to square
                                                    one. This is, after all, a very sophisticated machine...and things can go
                                                    wrong.

                                                    Thanks for sharing attached. Good luck to you.

                                                  • norrene albright
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 11, 1999
                                                      Michael Sangster wrote:
                                                      I have more details about my scope on my web page (which I'm in the processof
                                                      updating again):

                                                      > http://members.aol.com/lx10user
                                                      >
                                                      > - Michael Sangster

                                                      Hi Mike-

                                                      I'm not an lx10 user (a U2Ker), but I enjoyed your observing notes
                                                      page on your web site. Keep 'em coming!

                                                      Clear skies- Norrene