RE: [sct-user] Hurricane Gustav? Pshaw! NOTHIN' stops the Astro Blog!

  • George N. Huftalen, Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
      Thank you Rod, for a delightful trip down y'all's way in this week's
      Astro-Blog. You are a good writer and I could even see the cat chase! The
      counterweight story has happened to several of our club members. The last
      Public Outreach Event, a fellow club member (whose name you would all
      recognize from after-market telescope gear he designs and sells) forgot his
      observing chair.yours truly forgot all of his Personal hygiene kit on our
      first dark site camping trip to Cape Cod, forcing me to create a detailed
      checklist-three pages-- for all my gear for the Stellafane trip. Oh, and I
      got the ribbing for that list, too.

      Sometime, Unk, you gotta give up the Possum Swamp/Chiefland heat and
      humidity for our more temperate climes here in Yankee country during August
      and join us for that Stellafane trip.we've been known to keep a cooler or
      two or ten at our camp which is a downward grade to a negative horizon with
      The Teapot releasing the full Milky Way to cover us from north to south,
      leaving shadows on tables and the ground! From Thursday to Sunday we
      generally get one thunder-downpour/cloudy/night of the three and the others
      are downright dewy, but you will enjoy our northern skies and hospitality as
      several of us love Newcastle and, I'd make sure some Yell was on hand.

      You and yours be safe this week and we'll hope to hear good stories on the
      flipside of Gustav.

      George N. Huftalen, Jr.

      Metacom Observatory

      Meade 8 inch LX-90 UHTC Classic

      <http://cleardarksky.com/c/MetacomObkey.html>
      http://cleardarksky.com/c/MetacomObcs0.gif?1

      Metacom Observatory Clear Sky Clock

      "The telescope has come and I am charmed.
      I don't see how on earth I ever farmed
      A day without a tool so important." - Robert Frost

      From: sct-user@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: Rod Mollise <rmollise@... <mailto:rmollise%40bellsouth.net>

      To: sct-user@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sct-user%40yahoogroups.com> ;
      Meade-Uncensored@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Meade-Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com>
      ;
      Celestron_AS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Celestron_AS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: NexStarGPS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:NexStarGPS%40yahoogroups.com> ;
      Palmastro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Palmastro%40yahoogroups.com> ;
      Astronomy_Friends@yahoogroups.com
      Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope... and...
      The Urban Astronomer's Guide
      <http://skywatch. brainiac. com/astroland>

    • daniela daniela
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        I suspect the lack of comment is caused by the fact that everyone has been
        laughing hard for the last 20 hours or so, and can't seem to stop....
        Yes of course I am in the list of the "friend of a friend" who forgot some
        essentials. So far I succeeded chasing away the four-legged cats.
        You should be safe and so your family and friends and Chaos Manor South
        which like its humans (and cats, and telescopes) i am sure is not easily
        frightened...

      • Robert Harris
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
          Rod, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time :-)

          I will no longer be annoyed when my kitties insist on rubbing their heads against the tripod legs all night! I'll just be grateful they didn't do any _serious_ damage! I should probably stay away from truss tube dobs now that you mention it.

          Actually....I have had some critter trouble that falls into the "stuff out of your control" category. I was observing late one cool autumn night last year. My trusty Australian Shep Molly was on guard as usual. All of a sudden she takes off for the back fence and starts barking her head off. Probably the neighbor cat looking for a snack, she'll stop barking in a minute. 5 minutes later I walk over to investigate, flashlight set to white, and there is the ugliest, fattest possum I've ever seen on the fence, blissfully ignoring my dog. And I don't even live in possum swamp! I confine the dog to the porch, then to the garage, still barking loud enough that porchlights are coming on up and down the street now. Its you or me, fatty. I chuck a good size piece of bark mulch, then some rocks, then whatever I can find but the possum doesn't budge, except to show me its teeth. I give it a good poke with the longest stick I can find and it finally beats a hasty retreat. A city boy like me can get a little out of sorts with unscrupulous wildlife intruding like that, so with nerves more than a bit taut, I return to my trusty LX90 and the comfort of my sky chair. About 20 peaceful minutes later I'm engrossed in observing again. I forget what I was looking at, but it must have been kind of low because I could see the ground a little bit outside of the field of my 65 degree LVW when out of the corner of my eye I see a fuzzy white blob approaching and OH MY GOD THE POSSUM IS COMING TO GET ME!!!! Vertical take off from the sky chair, it felt like about three feet straight up. Flashlight on full beam I'm ready to fight or flight, not sure which yet, I realize its just Beastie, my white kitty, coming to give the tripod leg a good rubbing. I'm such a tool.

          Here's to keeping all furry threats at a safe distance ;-)

          -Robert