Hmmmmm....

  • gnowellsct
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
      Headline: Microsoft Bids $44.6 Billion for Yahoo

      To me it means, that when we try to make a post, the computer will
      signal an error and shut down....

      regards
      Greg N
    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
        Greg, That is the dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, so lets all
        get out there and sing YAHOOOOO WHOOOOO to put a curse
        on this deal!!! Not exactly SCT related but any deal like this could
        affect this group, like charging a membership fee to help recoup
        the investment, only time will tell.

        Saludos de Bruce N7XGR

        gnowellsct <tim71pos@...> wrote: Headline: Microsoft Bids $44.6 Billion for Yahoo

        To me it means, that when we try to make a post, the computer will
        signal an error and shut down....

        regards
        Greg N

        Visit the sct-user home page at:

        http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index4.html
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Allan Mayer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi all.

          Quick question here.

          Anyone have any opinions about putting a 10" f4.5 OTA on a
          Losmandy G 11 ? The simple Meade mount finally is breaking
          enough small parts, I don't want the time hassle of rebuilding it. So
          I am thinking about putting it on my G 11. I know the mount can
          handle the weight (36lbs) but the length of the tube itself worries
          me in terms of loading up the DEC axis.

          TIA

          --
          Allan Mayer

          http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

          http://www.novac.com

          vp@...
        • Rod Mollise
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
            To me it means "off topic." If there appears to be some possibility that
            Yahoogroups will shut down or change substantially, we'll discuss this ISSUE
            here. Until then. It's obviously OFF TOPIC.

            Peace,
            Rod Mollise
            Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
            The Urban Astronomer's Guide
            <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
              "Not exactly"? I'd say more like NOT AT ALL. I don't know what there really
              is to discuss anyway, unless one of y'all has an inside line to the MS or
              Yahoo boardroom. If this becomes a problem for us, OK, until then no more
              yadda-yadda-yadda, please.

              ;-)

              Peace,
              Rod Mollise
              Author of Choosing and Using a Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope...and...
              The Urban Astronomer's Guide
              <http://skywatch.brainiac.com/astroland>

                > Anyone have any opinions about putting a 10" f4.5 OTA on a
                > Losmandy G 11 ? The simple Meade mount finally is breaking
                > enough small parts, I don't want the time hassle of rebuilding it. So
                > I am thinking about putting it on my G 11. I know the mount can
                > handle the weight (36lbs) but the length of the tube itself worries
                > me in terms of loading up the DEC axis.

                I don't think you will have any problem with that combination. My
                broadly similar CGE handles a 45# C14 and a 30# 6 inch, f/8 refractor
                with aplomb. Is it a Newt or the SNT you need to mount, btw? I'm not
                sure what your concern would be, rotational inertia? If so my C6R has
                the notoriously heavy Synta lens cell on one end and 8 pounds of
                counterweight plus a Denkmeier diagonal and BV with a pair of heavy
                eyepieces on the other end. In terms of rotational inertia this beast
                has to be as big as your OTA's and the CGE does not seem to notice
                that it is there.

                In case anyone is wondering a C14 and a C6R might make a nice pairing
                to use on a single mount but I use them one at a time on the CGE. I
                think it would be too much to ask of the poor thing to run them at the
                same time.

                Ken
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                  > > Anyone have any opinions about putting a 10" f4.5 OTA on a
                  > > Losmandy G 11 ? The simple Meade mount finally is breaking
                  > > enough small parts, I don't want the time hassle of rebuilding it. So
                  > > I am thinking about putting it on my G 11. I know the mount can
                  > > handle the weight (36lbs) but the length of the tube itself worries
                  > > me in terms of loading up the DEC axis.
                  > >

                  > I don't think you will have any problem with that combination. My
                  > broadly similar CGE handles a 45# C14 and a 30# 6 inch, f/8 refractor
                  > with aplomb. Is it a Newt or the SNT you need to mount, btw? I'm not
                  > sure what your concern would be, rotational inertia?

                  Meade's 10" SNT is f/4. This sounds like it's an old Starfinder- or maybe older- Meade made various very similar GEM mounted 10" Newts for decades, and the later ones, (and probably the earlier,) were f/4.5. The Starfinder, and I think several earlier incarnations, were made from sonotube. The OTA weight listed in an old catalog is 30 lbs.

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • m_hollimon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                    --- In sct-user@yahoogroups.com, Allan Mayer <SCTUSER@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all.
                    >
                    > Quick question here.
                    >
                    > Anyone have any opinions about putting a 10" f4.5 OTA on a
                    > Losmandy G 11 ? The simple Meade mount finally is breaking
                    > enough small parts, I don't want the time hassle of rebuilding it. So
                    > I am thinking about putting it on my G 11. I know the mount can
                    > handle the weight (36lbs) but the length of the tube itself worries
                    > me in terms of loading up the DEC axis.
                    >
                    > TIA
                    >
                    > --
                    > Allan Mayer
                    >
                    > http://sctuser.home.comcast.net
                    >
                    > http://www.novac.com
                    >
                    > vp@...

                    Mr. Mayer - I run a 10 inch homebuilt f/6 Newt on an Orion Atlas
                    EQ-G; OTA plus 50 mm finder, Telrad, and large eyepiece weighs 47
                    pounds. The only "problem" I encounter is an increase in vibration
                    decay time to around 4 sec, mostly due to the rotational moment of the
                    f/6 tube (60 inches long). Slewing, GOTOs, and tracking of the mount
                    are fine.

                    I did have to add a 4 inch extension to my counterweight bar to come
                    to balance with three 11-pound counterweights; I chose this route
                    rather than using 4 counterweights although many users do use four
                    weights without problems.

                    Your proposed setup should work fine if you are willing to wait a
                    little longer for vibration to settle.

                    Mick Hollimon
                    1 Feb 08
                    11:00 AM PST
                  • Allan Mayer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                      m_hollimon wrote:

                      > -
                      > Mr. Mayer - I run a 10 inch homebuilt f/6 Newt on an Orion Atlas
                      > EQ-G; OTA plus 50 mm finder, Telrad, and large eyepiece weighs 47
                      > pounds. The only "problem" I encounter is an increase in vibration
                      > decay time to around 4 sec, mostly due to the rotational moment of the
                      > f/6 tube (60 inches long). Slewing, GOTOs, and tracking of the mount
                      > are fine.
                      >
                      > I did have to add a 4 inch extension to my counterweight bar to come
                      > to balance with three 11-pound counterweights; I chose this route
                      > rather than using 4 counterweights although many users do use four
                      > weights without problems.
                      >
                      > Your proposed setup should work fine if you are willing to wait a
                      > little longer for vibration to settle.
                      >
                      > Mick Hollimon
                      > 1 Feb 08
                      > 11:00 AM PS

                      Hello, and thanx to ALL who replied, this is what I wanted to know.
                      Looks like a set of Parralax rings are in order.

                      The 10" f4.5 in question is the OTA of a 1987 Meade DS 10. Problem
                      is after a LOT of use in a very short time of ownership by me, the nylon
                      bearings and friction locks just started coming apart, and or breaking
                      on me.
                      If I could get an old Starliner mount I would like that. But at this point,
                      putting on the G 11 seems the best bet. The OTA with 16x80 finder, and
                      JMI EV focuser are what run the weight up to 36lbs.

                      Looks like the C 11 is going to get a little lonely, with the 10" taking
                      it's
                      place lol.

                      Thanks again :)

                      PSS, please let me know if my message formatting is still putting my replies
                      way down in the message. It dose not show that at my end.

                      --
                      Allan Mayer

                      http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

                      http://www.novac.com

                      vp@...
                    • George Cushing
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Alan,

                        Had half a thought of putting the 12" Lightbridge on the G11.

                        What size rings do you need? Don't think I have any large enough, but I'
                        be glad to go through the collection for you.

                        Let me know.

                        Geo.