Re: Scrum Master

  • jonas.b@home.se
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
      Thank you very much for your reply!
      I have some additional question about Scrum:
      * How large project might it handle? I.e how many concurrent Sprints
      are possible to manage?
      * How long time does the activities after a completion of a Sprint
      take (approx.)? I means the activities such as setting the goal for
      the next Sprint and all the other preperations for the following
      Sprint.

      Thanks in advance!
      /Jonas

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@v...>
      wrote:
      > The Scrum Master can either be a non-programming or programming
      manager.
      > Since impediment removal and checking out decisions can take time,
      I prefer
      > for the Scrum Master to not be a developer unless the organization
      is small
      > or the developer wants to get a taste of management in their
      company.

      > Since the Scrum Master is responsible for identifying engineering
      practices
      > that need improving, development environments that need changing,
      and
      > operational environments that need to be upgraded prior to release,
      they are
      > most useful when they come from the development ranks, when they
      know how to
      > develop and design great systems. During the various design
      sessions, they
      > should be a key part of the discussions.
      >
      > To contradict myself, I worked at IDX where the best Scrum Master
      I've ever
      > seen came from QA. She couldn't lead design sessions, but she was so
      > effective at clearing the path for development and removing the
      > irrelevancies, that everyone forgave her. The Scrum Master is part
      of the
      > self-organization of the team. She or he has to be able to remove
      > impediments and make decisions. But, if someone else is covering
      the other
      > technical aspects, that's ok. Just, for heaven's sake, no generic
      managers.

      > More about the Scrum Master is coming out in mid-October in a book
      Mike
      > Beedle and I wrote, "Agile Software Development with Scrum",
      Prentice Hall.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • jonas.b@home.se
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
        Is it possible for a Scrum Master to 'master' several teams/sprints?

        Thanks in advance!
        Jonas
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
          Yes, I've run three teams at once. This works really well if the teams are
          all on the same project, harder if each team is on a different project
          (mostly because your mind overflows at times keeping track of things).
          Ken

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
            1. When you get over two teams sprinting at the same team on a project, you
            need to designate someone as the product architect. This person makes sure
            that each team selects product backlog that is top priority and has low
            coupling to the work of other teams. Too many interteam dependencies make it
            difficult for a team to self-organize. When multiple teams are on a project,
            hold a "scrum of scrums" after the daily Scrums where a key person
            represents each team and they report progress and status to each other. It
            helps the multiple teams self-organize their work.
            2. Selecting the next Sprint product backlog and setting a goal is usually
            done right after the end of Sprint review, when the results of that Sprint
            are still fresh in everyone's mind. It usually takes one to two hours. The
            team then meets to build their Sprint backlog, which might entail some
            design work; this meeting usually takes half a day to a full day, and might
            include some investigation.

            The book "Agile Software Development with Scrum" coming out Oct. 15 covers
            all of this. You can preorder it from Amazon.
            Ken