Re: [scrumdevelopment] Many small projects

  • Wim van de Goor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
      msbscrum wrote:
      > Does anyone have any experience running MANY smaller projects using
      > the scrum methodology? This is difficult as there are developers that
      > need to be involved with simultaneous projects and I can;t think of a
      > way to insert a backlog type of style into the process, when teams are
      > sprinting against many projects and prioroties.
      >
      > Any advice?

      In our organization we use Scrum for all projects. Most projects take a year or
      more. However, we regularly get requests that only take a few days to a couple
      of weeks and which don't have a high priority (it doesn't have to be ready
      tomorrow). We have a special team for handling these requests.

      At the moment this team works on 4 projects. The team makes a grid of who works
      on which day part (morning/ afternoon) on which project. This takes away most of
      the pain of task (and context) switching. The schedule can also ensure that two
      people work at the same project at the same time to enable pair programming.

      Each project has its own product owner. They have seperate meetings with each
      customer/product owner for progress and iteration planning. Of course these
      meetings do not take half a day per project.

      The reason to have this team work on more projects is to have a TEAM with people
      that can help each other.

      Wim.
    • poppy_martono
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi jason,

        This is exactly the same problem I have a while ago. 1 person = many
        projects is a common culture here :)
        I tried to execute this process:
        - split the project into small scrum team (independent), 1 person can
        be in many teams, but then has his/her own task list for 7 hrs/day
        - once a week we have a large scrum meeting, where the scrum masters
        report the progress / talk abt problem / knowledge transfer, etc
        - internal scrum management is completely managed by the team (we have
        central product backlog, but we expect each team to be self-managed,
        as the team is very small - only 3-4 people each)
        - establish intranet project board (burn down charts displays) where
        the managers can see the progress for all projects
        - more frequent code review (peer review)

        William's advice is valid though, now we tried to focus at least one
        or two person to one project, even though it's still very hard to
        achieve as we have a lot of high priority maintenance/change requests.
        Support/maintenance also run as one scrum project.

        It was a real headache before we have this process in place. But now,
        it's working like a charm!!

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Koscho, William"