Re: When to Commit: Perishable Value and Durable Value

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2005
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hyslop <jhyslop@d...> wrote:

      > Greg Akins wrote:
      >
      > > I don't want to answer for Brad, but private line
      > > commits would provide insurance without "decreasing"
      > > the value of the main codeline.

      Indeed. That was where the bkog-entry in question had mentined the
      "Private Versions" pattern which does exactly this :-)

      > I'd agree with that. As long as the private line is frequently updated
      > with changes on the main codeline, so final merging is quick and
      painless.

      A great big "Yes" to that too. The pattern is called "Workscape
      Update", and there is a follow-up to it in a paper that is
      separate from the book:
      * /Codeline Merging and Locking: Continuous Update and Two-phased Commits/
      <<http://www.cmcrossroads.com/articles/agilenov03.pdf>>

      The paper also deals with several different patterns for
      synchronous/serialized commits, including: single integration point,
      integration token, and about a half-dozen other mechanisms.

      And if you're interested in that, you might also be interested in:
      * /Continuous Staging: Scaling Continuous Integration to Multiple
      Component Teams/
      <<http://www.cmcrossroads.com/newsletter/articles/agilemar04.pdf>>

      Cheers!
      "And miles to go before I sleep" --Robert Frost