Re: Certified ScrumMaster

  • Mary Poppendieck <mary@poppendieck.com>
    Message 1 of 113 , Mar 4, 2003
      Perhaps Alan is also pointing out that we should not be so intent to
      introduce Scrum in 'one day'. Perhaps people need more grounding in
      why it works and what the underlying theories are.

      Mary

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Shalloway"
      <alshall@n...> wrote:
      > Pairing is one of the few practices of XP that I agree has to be
      > experienced to be understood. Virtually all of the other
      practices can
      > be understood (including emergent design) before actually doing.
      > Pairing also happens to be one of the few practices you can do
      safely
      > without understanding why it works.
      >
      > There is a logic to "simple code" and "emergent design" and "test
      driven
      > development" that can be demonstrated in a classroom before a
      project
      > begins. Without it, I have seen projects go through a tougher
      learning
      > curve on their projects because they made poor decisions because
      they
      > didn't really understand why they were doing what they were
      doing. They
      > were following practices that are only partly described. As has
      been
      > said, the practices aren't XP.
      >
      > I still believe a deeper understanding is required before just
      jumping
      > in. A transition to XP (going from 1 cycle to 2 or doing Scrum
      first
      > and then adding XP practices) often is a better step and help gains
      > understanding of the practices - adopting them as understanding
      > increases.
      >
      > Alan Shalloway, Sr. Consultant, CEO
      > office: 425-313-3065. mobile: 425-531-0810
      >
      > Net Objectives' vision is effective software development without
      > suffering. Our mission is to assist software development teams in
      > accomplishing this through a combination of training and
      mentoring.

      XP,
      > there are many cases of deciding important things about it without
      doing
      > the practices. An example brought up by Alan is pair programming.
      >
      > Pair programming has several important potential benefits,
      including
      > greater team flexibility, better code, higher reliability, and so
      on,
      > some
      > of which have begun to show up as experimental results, even on lab
      > rats,
      > er I mean students.
      >
      > However, pair programming has a dynamic effect on the team as
      well. Deep
      > intimate knowledge of the project is transmitted during the pairing
      > process. Not just how the code works, but who knows what, what the
      > domain
      > really is, the full richness of the project tapestry. Trust and
      common
      > purpose often grow more rapidly.
      >
      > It's easy to say, not having worked on a team that does full
      pairing,
      > that
      > it isn't important. Having worked on a fully-pairing team, it's
      > impossible
      > to forget the difference: it's intense and visceral.
      >
      > I don't know a way to communicate the value of pairing
      intellectually.
      > It's
      > not an intellectual thing. So people let pairing slide when they
      set up
      > their project, or even when they advise teams how to start
      projects. Of
      > course those teams can do just fine; pair programming isn't
      critical to
      > final success. Yet the same team, with pairing, might be so much
      more.

      > How could they find out? There's only one way that I know of: Try
      it.

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Sigs are like I Ching or Tarot. They don't mean anything,
      > but sometimes if you think about them you'll get a useful idea.

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 113 of 113 , Mar 10, 2003
        Ron:

        Sorry for the pun intended, the proper name is
        "burndown chart" as Mike stated, not "burnout chart",
        but that all depends how you feel as you come down
        from the "mountain of hours and features" ;-)

        - Mike

        --- Mike Cohn <mike@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Ron--
        I think Mike is referring to a "burndown" rather than
        "burnout" chart.
        Although I'd like to try graphing how burnt out I feel
        at the end of each
        day.
        An example burndown chart is
        http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/scrum/sprintbacklog.html.
        Scroll down a
        bit and you'll see it bordered in the green.

        -Mike