RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Master

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2001
      The Scrum Master can either be a non-programming or programming manager.
      Since impediment removal and checking out decisions can take time, I prefer
      for the Scrum Master to not be a developer unless the organization is small
      or the developer wants to get a taste of management in their company.

      Since the Scrum Master is responsible for identifying engineering practices
      that need improving, development environments that need changing, and
      operational environments that need to be upgraded prior to release, they are
      most useful when they come from the development ranks, when they know how to
      develop and design great systems. During the various design sessions, they
      should be a key part of the discussions.

      To contradict myself, I worked at IDX where the best Scrum Master I've ever
      seen came from QA. She couldn't lead design sessions, but she was so
      effective at clearing the path for development and removing the
      irrelevancies, that everyone forgave her. The Scrum Master is part of the
      self-organization of the team. She or he has to be able to remove
      impediments and make decisions. But, if someone else is covering the other
      technical aspects, that's ok. Just, for heaven's sake, no generic managers.

      More about the Scrum Master is coming out in mid-October in a book Mike
      Beedle and I wrote, "Agile Software Development with Scrum", Prentice Hall.

      Ken Schwaber

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
        Thank you very much for your reply!
        I have some additional question about Scrum:
        * How large project might it handle? I.e how many concurrent Sprints
        are possible to manage?
        * How long time does the activities after a completion of a Sprint
        take (approx.)? I means the activities such as setting the goal for
        the next Sprint and all the other preperations for the following
        Sprint.

        Thanks in advance!
        /Jonas

        --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@v...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • jonas.b@home.se
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
          Is it possible for a Scrum Master to 'master' several teams/sprints?

          Thanks in advance!
          Jonas
        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
            Yes, I've run three teams at once. This works really well if the teams are
            all on the same project, harder if each team is on a different project
            (mostly because your mind overflows at times keeping track of things).
            Ken

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
              1. When you get over two teams sprinting at the same team on a project, you
              need to designate someone as the product architect. This person makes sure
              that each team selects product backlog that is top priority and has low
              coupling to the work of other teams. Too many interteam dependencies make it
              difficult for a team to self-organize. When multiple teams are on a project,
              hold a "scrum of scrums" after the daily Scrums where a key person
              represents each team and they report progress and status to each other. It
              helps the multiple teams self-organize their work.
              2. Selecting the next Sprint product backlog and setting a goal is usually
              done right after the end of Sprint review, when the results of that Sprint
              are still fresh in everyone's mind. It usually takes one to two hours. The
              team then meets to build their Sprint backlog, which might entail some
              design work; this meeting usually takes half a day to a full day, and might
              include some investigation.

              The book "Agile Software Development with Scrum" coming out Oct. 15 covers
              all of this. You can preorder it from Amazon.
              Ken