RE: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Web Based Product - Usefull or a was te of time?

  • Schiel James - SHS Malvern
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      I wouldn't recommend writing the tool unless your primary goal is to learn more about Ruby. Even then, I'd not recommend using whatever tool you wrote for a Scrum team unless the team tried it and agreed it was better than anything else available. As far as tools go for Scrum, keeping it simple always works better than PM tools.

      Jim Schiel
      CSM Trainer

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
        I agree with Jim.

        If you want to learn Ruby and simultaneously do something really productive for a Scrum team, you might look into writing acceptance tests for an active project using WATIR - http:// wtr.rubyforge.org .

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
          I disagree, Jim.

          While I agree that Microsoft Project would be an overkill, a good tool would definitely help (although like someone already pointed out, MicroSoft has an agile version, in which case I cannot imagine how it would resemble the original product) . While our team uses a spreadsheet (open office), we have been looking for other tools that would simplify planning and analysis,  and burndown backlogs. A scrum tool would be invaluable to do quick if-then-else analysis and calculate 'fits', dependencies and such. A good scrum tool would automate the mundane calculations and help the team focus on business problems. A web-based interface would allow more ubiquitous access, further breaking down communication barriers (across organizational boundaries).

          Graeme,
          One example to look at (I have not used it)  would be http://www.versionone.com/pdf/V1FeaturesandBenefits.pdf .

          -Arun.

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Thank you

        • Graeme Matthew
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
            I suppose where I am coming from is this angle. If I could provide a product where use cases (requirements) are captured for example in a simple web based form such as:

            Use Case Name:
            Description
            Flow of Events
            Special Requirements
            Pre-Conditions
            Post-Conditions
            User Interface Screenshots (attachments)
            Notes

            This becomes the foundation of a document. Unfortunately documentation has to be provided in most organisations for sign-off, and in a large number of organisations there may be compliance issues i.e providing certain project documentation. My thoughts where once the use cases had been entered, collaborated on and placed into the sprint backlog, the scrummaster can simply click on a button to generate a PDF. This PDF in its table of contents places the use case descriptions. Each use case included for the sprint is incorporated into the PDF. So for example a 15 use case sprint would probably fit into 12 pages or so at the end it automatically inserts a back page sign off document. This sign off is for the 30 day sprint i.e management actually have time to read it (scan it) and focus on the objective on hand, then for the next sprint the process is repeated.

            For me this would be productivity and I believe that the documentation would satisfy management. From my experience word documents are emailed, others email links and there ends up been a massive amount of different versions floating around, this way everyone is forced to a central location, the only medium they have is PDF and its read-only

            What are your thoughts, feel free to shoot the messenger :-)

[...]

            Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.