Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 1148

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      David:

      Here, I think, shows the difference places we are practicing Scrum and Agile.

      You wrote:
      It's the Users' system, and we'll do whatever they want to it.  No fights.  The developers continue to be proud of their accomplishments, and do their best to make the systems the best they can,

      but we are in a different place and within the world we work in our final clause would be;

      given what the user takes the time to help us understand what they want.

      This is why the User (aka Product Owner in this case) is an integral part of our team because we have committed NOT to make business decisions and NOT to develop functions the business owner doesn't agree with HOW (logically) we are going to do it.

      I suspect that many of the rants on product owner as a member of the team float around the role you assign them and here are two radically different approaches that, in all likelihood, reflect what is possible in the respective culture.
      If you feel like moving in this direction a couple of interesting things may happen.  Productivity and quality take another leap up as your team only works on a task to the degree it can be successful.  If the product owner can agree then everyone plans how to get to that agreement,  if the product owner can't define what they want well enough to plan how they want to get there, then you work with them to define the scope and boundary.

      Prioritization has three levels,  How the Product Owner ranks it,  How they order it given the amount of time available, and whether they show up or not when needed.  No show, priority drops to 0 task moves off the sprint backlog and the team asks for something else to work on.

      The Product Owner 'owns' the product - a novel concept, all your team is the implementors of their vision.

      Sounds scary, not really, as most of the hand waving, sky is falling, we're gonna die stops as people reveal through their actions themselves and their intentions.

      --
      Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

      The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown