Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Project Management Courses?

  • Todd Hartle
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 3, 2005
      Discusses project management but mentions SCRUM.
      On 9/30/05, Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:

      First  A foundation in basic project management is a great idea, as many of the pedantic steps need to be encapsulated in Agile.  You can get this at many schools as a class,  yes they will teach basic PMI stuff, but remember there is a lot of meat there, it is just prepared in such a way as not to please the agile palette.

      Second, Read Mary Poppendieck's books on Lean – before you take the course as it will help you identify and work out that much of the problem with the traditional approach is the wait time.

      Finally go do it.  Try it out on simple things like (believe it or not) doing the laundry, housekeeping and bill paying as a backlog and see how it fits you and what rhythms you find about yourself.

      Michael F. Dwyer

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a solution may emerge."

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005

        I think Robert Wysocki’s book, Effective Project Management (3rd Edition) would be a good fit for you. The first half of the book is traditional project management and the second half is his agile, “Adaptive Project Management (APM)”. I have used this as a text for intro PM courses I have taught and recommend it.

        Dave Bly