RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Following the rules

  • Mike Dwyer
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 1, 2005
      Interesting. Help me understand how these phrases structure your approach.

      Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
      Working software over comprehensive documentation
      Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
      Responding to change over following a plan

      I really need to see this as I am now walking away with is the notion your
      presentation of Scrum is an

      'us - them game' - not interactions between individuals

      Our way or the highway. we don't collaborate with the customer and they are
      not part of the team; we make the rules and they better follow it.

      We have a plan and we will work it. throw away any life experience we or the
      Product Owner have and dogmatically follow a set of rules.

      Just to make it very clear Scrum and other Agile methods are vehicles that
      carry the Agile Manifesto. As a 'formal' method, this approach had been in
      the public for a very few years. You are all, in the long run, a member of
      the pathfinder team in this effort. No two implementations of Scrum are the
      same, there will never be as long as we transport the Agile Philosophy.

      Yes Jeff is doing incredible things, but when you meet him next ask him who
      changed Scrum the teams involved or he and Ken.

      If what you are saying is you need a starting point, then yes you do. Scrum
      methods may be the jumping off point but keep in mind the reason Scrum fails
      or succeeds is not so much following the rules but understanding how to set
      up the Agile and Scrum boundaries where you are doing it.

      For example if you are an employee, then the key starting point is the agile
      principles and the Nike slogan "Just Do It" Smile, agree, and deliver.
      Keep in mind Scrum and Agile are only about Delivery of good stuff to the
      product owner. Let them carry the word forward, help them to know where to
      say it. Commit to their organization that you will work with them to get
      this done. In effect let them fight the battle of Scrum acceptance, not
      you. They got the clout, while you have the baggage of decades of their
      disappointment in IT and software development.

      First do NOT make Promises, they are weak ways of saying I'll try. Who
      cares, no try - Only Do or Don't Do - there is no try.
      Make commitments, follow through on them and do it transparently (in public
      to a broad audience). If you commit not to work on stuff that has not gone
      through the planning and the negotiations, then keep you commitment and
      publically state you cannot break your commitment and do this one little
      thing without the planning, negotiations and agreement. Use the Corporate
      ethics stuff hanging around to tie what you are doing to what the company
      has stated is its value statement. Use the traditionalists love of
      bureaucracy to tie up implusive behavior, but in all cases deliver, deliver,
      deliver!

      Commit to collaborating with the Product Owner, if you are defining, scoping
      what have you at the high end, Keep in mind that the Product Owner is the
      only person that can make those kind of decisions, all you can do is state
      how much you can implement.

      Work to priorities, Since the only way to measure priority is through
      commitment, if the Product Owner doesn't show up to define what they want or
      answer questions, stop, report it as an impediment and when it fails at the
      end of a Sprint, take it into the retro and question if this effort is
      really that important, since no shows to get the job done. make that
      transparent well.

      Keep in mind collaboration and teamwork do not require friendship only
      respect and discipline. But first you have to have those things in your
      self.

      If this sounds too hard, it is not, it is very difficult and does require
      certain amounts of courage and stupidity that does not allow you to quit.

      Michael F. Dwyer CSM, P

      "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
      solution may emerge."

      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2005
        I don't think you are far off, and that we are about to become violent in our agreement, but are separated by a common misuse of the language.

        If the PO is the person accountable to the organization for the decisions about how the product works and they rely on SME's to act in their behest and as proxies, then IMO, the PO is a person who has delegated their authority to the SME.  If this is the case then we are in agreement on all but the moot issue as to is the PO a person or a persona /role.

        IF however the degree to which the SME's decisions are independent of the PO is recognized and the SME is held accountable for the product's functionality, then I agree with your concept of the PO as a role.

        The only point I wonder about is if this situation wanders around between the two and your teams are, in fact, making the business decisions and then moving the person or the role to agree with them.  I would be concerned if that were the case.

        You stated:
        To some degree, many of those SME's act as the PO's proxy from time to time, and we try to establish the understanding with those SME's that it is up to them to make sure that they keep their PO's up to date on decisions that they
        have made, and to follow up with the PO if they need help making decisions
        We remind them of this when we discuss something potentially contentious.
        If an SME tells us that they are too busy to help us, we'll usually arrange
        a meeting with the SME, his supervisor, some Team members and the Scrum
        Master.  In most cases the supervisor and the PO are the same person, which
        simply makes it easier to make a case for the supervisor to clear the SME's
        schedule for us.

        --
        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

        The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown