Following the rules

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 23, 2005
      Greetings list.

      I'm trying to help our users understand the Scrum process better.
      I've just returned from a scrum planning meeting and our business user
      tried to insert a new task at priority four in our list of 20+ items.

      This was not amusing, so in the good sheepdog mode I called and asked
      this person if it was worth canceling the whole sprint to
      re-prioritize the list, or if it could wait until the next sprint.
      The user told me that he didn't understand why he couldn't just insert
      'one little thing' into the project backlog. I dutifully explained
      that since this was the first sprint that we should follow the
      protocol for doing that - which was a) Terminate the Sprint, b) Put
      the new item on the product backlog.

      This went on for a while and at various volumes until he relented and
      told me that no the business did not want to slip this date for this
      one item. :-\

      How do you deal with a business user who feels that they don't have to
      follow the rules? I've given two presentations on scrum to our
      business and this business user was at both of them.

      thanks,
    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 34 of 34 , Oct 4, 2005
        I don't think you are far off, and that we are about to become violent in our agreement, but are separated by a common misuse of the language.

        If the PO is the person accountable to the organization for the decisions about how the product works and they rely on SME's to act in their behest and as proxies, then IMO, the PO is a person who has delegated their authority to the SME.  If this is the case then we are in agreement on all but the moot issue as to is the PO a person or a persona /role.

        IF however the degree to which the SME's decisions are independent of the PO is recognized and the SME is held accountable for the product's functionality, then I agree with your concept of the PO as a role.

        The only point I wonder about is if this situation wanders around between the two and your teams are, in fact, making the business decisions and then moving the person or the role to agree with them.  I would be concerned if that were the case.

        You stated:
        To some degree, many of those SME's act as the PO's proxy from time to time, and we try to establish the understanding with those SME's that it is up to them to make sure that they keep their PO's up to date on decisions that they
        have made, and to follow up with the PO if they need help making decisions
        We remind them of this when we discuss something potentially contentious.
        If an SME tells us that they are too busy to help us, we'll usually arrange
        a meeting with the SME, his supervisor, some Team members and the Scrum
        Master.  In most cases the supervisor and the PO are the same person, which
        simply makes it easier to make a case for the supervisor to clear the SME's
        schedule for us.

        --
        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

        The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown